2016 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Froome was on the new 40mm dura-Ace wheels yesterday in La Vuelta.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

seaneT1

by seaneT1

bruno2000 wrote:Froome was on the new 40mm dura-Ace wheels yesterday in La Vuelta.

Also Kennaught on the new wheels I think too.

ave

by ave

Are there any better pics of said wheels?

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Those look very hot, can't wait to see the 60's, def on the want list!

szymonef

by szymonef

Alberto, these are nice arms for a climber! :thumbup: And yes, it is Vias.

seanblurr

by seanblurr

Right forearm looks a bit bigger than the left. Did he break up with his wife/gf or something?
Instagram @seanblurr

Antoine

by Antoine

Too bad Absalon had an off day but with only 5% body fat ...

"I was in top shape friday. 48 hours too early. I may have played a bit. When I reach 5% body fat , like I was, I know it's not going to last. That's a little bit the dangerous limit and a sort of gamble. If it works, it really does"

http://www.lequipe.fr/Vtt/Actualites/Julien-absalon-etait-dans-un-jour-sans-en-finale-de-l-epreuve-olympique-de-vtt/719721

KWalker

by KWalker

5% bodyfat, he must be a poster in both the power profile and what do you weigh threads.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

seanblurr wrote:Right forearm looks a bit bigger than the left. Did he break up with his wife/gf or something?

Nice one. :P
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

wingguy

by wingguy

He's looked absolutely ripped for the last few years in the world cups. Obviously more muscular in the upper body than Froome but otherwise just as lean. I'm amazed he had anymore weight to cut! :shock:

OJ

by OJ

seanblurr wrote:Right forearm looks a bit bigger than the left. Did he break up with his wife/gf or something?

Just hasn't won a lot -----> ??? -----> right forearm muscle definition
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Norregard

by Norregard

Sagan has declared in an interview to a Slovakian sport website that he doesn't enjoy road cycling.

Translated from the Sporza website:

"I chose the olympic MTB race because I'm bored on the road. I don't get satisfaction from road racing. I've had some very good results on the road and ofcourse I hope that it lasts, but I'm bored in the peloton. I don't enjoy it. It's very unfair because on the road it's not always the best rider who wins. You can be the best rider all day and still lose by a couple of centimers because another rider has more luck or has better helpers. Okay, in the mountains it's usually the best climber who wins, but in other races it's mostly a lottery. Look at the Olympics where the best man didn't win. Some say that the Olympic road race is a missed chance for me. But the best man was Nibali, not Van Avermaet. If Nibali doesn't fall, his group is on the podium, all climbers. Then no one would have said it was a missed chance. I really enjoy the MTB. You can take more risks. The two really aren't comparable. They're like surfing and parachuting."

zirxo

by zirxo

KWalker wrote:5% bodyfat, he must be a poster in both the power profile and what do you weigh threads.

Nah, he's not skinny enough for that.

Rondje

by Rondje

Bit of a weird statement of Sagan. You can just as well be the best rider but get a flat or crash (like his Nibali reference) on the MTB. But I can see riding a MTB is more challenging/fun then riding on paved roads for most of the time. Maybe he should just do some MTB or cross in the winter months to keep the fun in riding his bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

or maybe we should take a moment to think about what the most exciting and entertaining racer in years has to say, no?

road cycling infact is pretty dull and - at times - very predictable. with large teams and race radios, save for drastic weather, it's fairly easy to control the race during majority of stages, even the hard mountain ones. in that regard, the best man (as seen from viewers' perspective, e.g. the guy in the break) won't win. what's worse, in more than 90% of cases he doesn't stand a chance (due to forementioned "controllability")

I don't agree Rio race wasn't exciting - it was, and sudden shifts is what makes cycling great to watch. smaller teams, challenging course, and no precise real time data where everybody is at the moment - that makes for a completely different kind of racing than what we see on a daily basis, throughout the whole calendar. so Nibbles did take risk and failed, in that regard that was exactly what Sags' demands from bike racing.

what also made the Rio race spectacular, was the mixed course - not exactly for pure climbers, at times too steep for classic guys. IMHO that's what we need more often - those "spectacular" mountain stages are often spectacular only by name - we see a tight selection of dudes carefully watching each other's butts - and the 'hero of a day' hardly gets a chance to fight for the stage (because the big teams' trains catch them few kms before the line). same thing with flat, "sprinter" stages, which are even duller, and only things that can mix things up is wind or a major crash.

cycling is growing as a discipline, but at the same time - it's not. at least not in quality. perhaps we should try to go away from the usual routine and introduce some ideas that could shake things up. smaller teams, no radios, different route planning - these are ideas that come to mind.

I'm aware Sagan's reaching in this interview, but indeed he touches the subject and it won't go away simply because we call it weird. and who's better to listen to than an insider? reading what some pros write (aside from CN blogs where everythings great and wonderful) they have very different opinions on racing in general, and what they say or write often doesn't fit the "official broadcast".
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.