2016 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

fa63

by fa63

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

fa63 wrote:I know nothing about MTB racing, but why don't they have more neutral service locations?

There are fewer equipment regs in MTB - no frame approval, no weight limit etc - so the logic of only having 2 service locations is to make the riders and teams use tougher, more real world capable equipment than they otherwise would. Of course tyre performance is so crucial in XC that they still choose the absolute lightest they can just get away with and budget for one world cup per year ruined by a puncture.

Best finish line celebration of the year goes to Carlos Coloma. Did anyone pick him for a medal? Great ride.

Also I'm assuming Absalon must have been ill? No way he rolls in 3+ minutes back without something being seriously wrong.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Wow crazy start by sags didn't see that coming.... There's a lot more than just luck with flats in mtb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

hasbeen

by hasbeen

nbc stream blocked me cuz I aint cool enough. really wanted to watch that race. oh well.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

re: Sagan. I'm no expert, but his performance today must've impressed even hard core MTB fans. maybe he would've won a medal, maybe not, but he sure as hell is one of a kind bike racer. if I were a bit younger, I'd deffinitely hang his poster on my bedroom wall :thumbup:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

wingguy wrote:no weight limit

What do you mean? There's the same weight limit as for road bikes. Not that anyone comes close (talking actual race bikes here), but still....

wingguy

by wingguy

the_marsbar wrote:
wingguy wrote:no weight limit

What do you mean? There's the same weight limit as for road bikes. Not that anyone comes close (talking actual race bikes here), but still....

No, there isn't. The weight limit is in article 1.3.019. Article 1.3.011 says that “Except where stated to the contrary, the technical specifications given in the articles 1.3.011 to 1.3.025 shall apply to bicycles used in road, track and cyclo-cross racing.

No weight limit in MTB. No saddle position rules. No wheel drop tests. No frame certification. None of that bollocks :D

Sacke

by Sacke

tymon_tm wrote:re: Sagan. I'm no expert, but his performance today must've impressed even hard core MTB fans. maybe he would've won a medal, maybe not, but he sure as hell is one of a kind bike racer. if I were a bit younger, I'd deffinitely hang his poster on my bedroom wall :thumbup:

Third in the line by the time that the first climb started!

May not have looked Nino Schurter smooth on some of the most technical sections, but have to say that I sort of lost a bit of respect for some of the XC-guys.

It was supposed to be impossible that with the bad starting position, and the the impossible transition to XC, Peter Sagan would at best be a nice PR-gadget for mountain biking.

Nope... He stayed with the best in the world, and on top of it, without even looking out of place!

I would love to see him take a shot at WC-race in MTB, just for the sake of proving that he can podium at the highest level in MTB.

Hugely impressed, even if I already was a fanboy. :D

Edit: Bring the team cars to MTB. :D

You can do it! You only lost a a minute! Why didn't he have a spare bike?
Last edited by Sacke on Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CBJ

by CBJ

To me Sagan proved my personally point that you don't always have to win to be a winner.

Sacke

by Sacke

On another note... Nino Schurter is 30 years old. Why did he never try making it on the road?

(Because he could choose to dominate the MTB scene, or be mediocre on the road isn't a reason)

Seriously, what Sagan did during the first lap in a way justifies why MTB doesn't get more attention.

No matter how good Sagan is, he shouldn't be able to stick with the best in the world on the first lap of an Olympic XCO race, if it was such a demanding and special discipline.

LionelB

by LionelB

Sagan's flat was a huge bummer. Impressive what he did at the beginning. After 3 min in the race I was rooting for him.

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

Schurter did ride Tour de Romandie and Suisse for Orica in 2014.
But if you want to be at the top in road cycling you have to be a super climber, sprinter or TT-guy. He's just non of these. He weighs 68kg just being 1m73, in road cycling that's fat, then you'll never be at the best on long climbs. He would be a decent allrounder but on the road then you just become a helper.

We compare everything to road cycling but in Switzerland mtb is really big, Schurter won the best male cyclist award in 2013 ... in that year Cancellara won E3, RVV and PR :P

wingguy

by wingguy

Sacke wrote:Nope... He stayed with the best in the world, and on top of it, without even looking out of place!

Yeah, he stayed with the best in the world for a lap. Could he have stayed with them for 5 more? He said he doesn't think so.

You can do it! You only lost a a minute! Why didn't he have a spare bike?

Because you can't have a spare bike.

Nino Schurter is 30 years old. Why did he never try making it on the road?

He loves mountain biking and Switzerland is XC crazy. Maybe he could make more money on the road, but there are literally millions of people around the world who do jobs that pay less than they could get elsewhere because they like their job.

KWalker

by KWalker

He was with the front guys for a little over a lap of a 90 minute race. It's not like he shat all over everyone. Impressive move up, but even before his flat he was getting gapped near every hairpin and lots of the tech sections. I think it's sort of ridiculous to think that he would have romped on people had he not flatted. Kulhavy managed to come back from a mechanical to take 2nd, but when Sagan got his 2nd flat he was moving up, but not at the same pace Kulhavy managed to.

Again, its a guy that can attack the hell out of 230km road races, one of the best in the world, on a not very technical course. It's not like everyone else sucked or something.

Schurter did some road racing with Orica I believe.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com