2016 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jooo

by jooo

tmr5555 wrote:If I could do only one thing to make road cycling more interesting, I'd cut down stage lengths. No idiotic 230 km stages, 130-140 km max. Full gas from the get go!

I'm not sure why this is such a popular idea :noidea: It doesn't really change much. The race is held on a tight leash and the result is basically the same - the strongest team drives the pace to nullify attacks.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

at this point i'd like to bring back my proposition for the Xcycling league. Where each team gets 9 injections per squad. It's their choice weather to give one rider all 9 or maybe 1 per rider and 130km seems too long. i'd probably say 20km stage max, but a grand tour will be 8 weeks long and no rest days.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Think those shades are the new adidas goggles that Yolanda Neff and Rory Sutherland are rocking.

tmr5555

by tmr5555

jooo wrote:
tmr5555 wrote:If I could do only one thing to make road cycling more interesting, I'd cut down stage lengths. No idiotic 230 km stages, 130-140 km max. Full gas from the get go!

I'm not sure why this is such a popular idea :noidea: It doesn't really change much. The race is held on a tight leash and the result is basically the same - the strongest team drives the pace to nullify attacks.
shorter stages would mean compressing all the action like intermediary sprints and cat 4,3 climbs into a shorter broadcast time frame, an overall more compact, streamlined event for racer and viewer alike. The long "connection stages" do the heads in of riders. Just silly. Genesis vs the clash I say.

KWalker

by KWalker

For being such a good bike handler, Sagan's 2nd flat is pure newb status: https://www.instagram.com/p/BJdXMDJj-74/
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

wingguy

by wingguy

KWalker wrote:For being such a good bike handler, Sagan's 2nd flat is pure newb status: https://www.instagram.com/p/BJdXMDJj-74/

Well, skills do go out of the window when you're totally gassed :wink: - but for sure it goes to show the 'what if' crowd that it wasn't coincidence that a guy who doesn't race top level XC didn't compete with the top guys at the sharp end of the race. The genuine XCers would be hopping that like it wasn't there, not messing up the timing on a showy extended manual.

KWalker

by KWalker

Not just "genuine XCers", but anyone that can lift a rear tire up.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

wingguy

by wingguy

KWalker wrote:Not just "genuine XCers", but anyone that can lift a rear tire up.

After how many laps at full gas? Show me an amateur racer who says he'd never make a mistake like that when he's chasing, frustrated and deep in the red and I'll show you a guy with an over inflated sense of his own abilities...

maquisard

by maquisard

Well said!

KWalker

by KWalker

There are thousands of amateurs that race and finish rocky races on the rivet without flatting. You really shoulda thought that analysis through. That section was very non-technical and obvious. He went straight for it. It was THE line and he saw the rock and literally slammed the rear wheel into it. It's not that an amateur never make mistakes its about people seeing way too much into Sagan's 1 lap performance and negating the fact that that he was making mistakes and is not immune to making them since being a terrific road bike handler or doing tricks on a bike isn't the same when you're racing said bike.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

wingguy

by wingguy

KWalker wrote:There are thousands of amateurs that race and finish rocky races on the rivet without flatting. You really shoulda thought that analysis through.

Not really - that's just the difference between the word 'never' and the word 'always', isn't it?

its about people seeing way too much into Sagan's 1 lap performance and negating the fact that that he was making mistakes and is not immune to making them since being a terrific road bike handler or doing tricks on a bike isn't the same when you're racing said bike.

I fully agree with that analysis. :thumbup:

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

:lol:

"he doesn't know how to lift his rear wheel while racing".

it's a shame something every fred knows how to do he messes up so badly. go home Sagan, and give back the olympic spot you took from that other slovak mtb rider

you crack me up, srsly. but hey good news - he lost. no label misplacement, he's still a road bike racer and that jr xc title never really happened, go back to sleep

pity he's not following WW, he could learn a thing or two from some of you about the race craft :roll:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

KWalker

by KWalker

He might have been good on the U23 level nearly 10 years ago, but he made a pretty stupid mistake and that flat was entirely his fault. Considering how hyperbolic the talk of his possible performances were this provides perspective.

There is really no excuse for that kind of error regardless of if I makes it, he makes it, The Queen makes it- its a complete lack of whatever form-related label you want to apply.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

prebsy

by prebsy

Can we stop violently agreeing, no one on this entire site thinks Sagan would have ended up on the podium.... Let's leave the "what if" fluff pieces to the competitor group Inc. after all there is a grand tour going on that is plenty exciting.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

Yates creamed it yesterday, brilliant move and very well done.

Movistar drilling it on the front nearly all day for Valverde (cress-head) and it amounted to zero. :roll: :thumbup:
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."