2016 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

geedawg

by geedawg

Well, I think it's more of a matter of etiquette than of "law." There's no law against walking 6 inches behind someone and invading their personal space but that doesn't mean that you should do it. I guess when people get on bikes they either don't know common bike etiquette or just forget to be decent and polite members of society.

lrdunc

by lrdunc

This is all much more fascinating and more on-topic than Durianrider.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petepeterson

by petepeterson

'Ghosting'. Amazing. Sums it up perfectly

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

lrdunc wrote:This is all much more fascinating and more on-topic than Durianrider.

Given DR was doing precisely this - to a Pro - and users had difficulty grasping what the issue was, I'd say it's on topic. Certainly more so than a flippant comment.

And for the record, Richie isn't the only Pro I know of not comfortable with someone (who likely has a power meter) riding alongside of or behind him. When you consider also that he's reconning a vital stage of a race he wants to win (ie: is working) then him supposedly not being happy is fully within reason.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

I'm not surprised but again the UCI paints itself into an awkward corner with the Katusha thing. Deems that Katusha are not to be sidelined because 'social' yayo use is OK regardless if the rider has actually admitted to using it because of a sleeping pill addiction and remains provisionally suspended. I guess it draws a line in the sand between cheating and the health of a rider.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Im with TP, if I'm out with mates I trust their wheel, if I'm out alone it's generally structured in some way. Some unknown hiding on a wheel has almost bought me unstuck twice when backing off and having them rub wheels at the end of an effort. It's not hard to say hi and establish a tempo, have met some great people doing so.

The instigator of all of this tho is a known antagonist who will regularly embelsh the truth for a good story... Can't say id have acted any differently to RP given who was stirring the pot.
Using Tapatalk

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

geez this wheelsucking thing really gets exaggerated. funny thing is I wanted to start a topic a while back asking you guys about how it works in your backyards... I'm kinda glad I didnt

comparing wheelsucking to following someone on the sidewalk officially makes my day. bravo :thumbup:

can you not see the obvious, people do it (suck wheels) to test themselves. they see you (the one they follow) as superior, but still want to give it a shot. since the Fbook and internetz era we've become so alienated, deprived of normal, physical man-to-man contacts we see any interaction as a violation. this sickens me more than wheelsuckers, who I don't really appreciate myself that much. but get this: they don't do it out of spite, they don't want to show you anything, they want to show themselves they can ride faster. plain and simple. safety issues? WTF, this is road cycling, with cars passing you by at the closest distance, and yet you see a fellow cyclist as a threat... silly is the words that comes to mind. I don't know where you guys ride, I've two locations where I live and ride, a big city and a countryside, I meet circa same amount of cyclists in both locations, like once in a while someone grabs my wheel, and during like 15 years of my career nothing ever has happend to make me wanna shout GET AWAY FROM MY SAFETY ZONE YOU MANIAC. either I'm so damn lucky or you're hypersensitive.

I've never sucked a wheel myself without asking or chatting and never felt like doing it, but can easily put up with guys (3 times it was gals.. I remember :mrgreen: ) smelling my fumes. not because I enjoy it (I don't), not because I like to chat with everyone (I hate chatting while riding), not because I can't ditch them (which happens anyway sooner or later), but because I'm aware trying to hang on with a faster guy on a nice bike, dressed in pro clothes (I wear national kit almost all the time) can be sort of cool for them. yeah, I'm that nice - or rather, I'm trying not to be a douche. you wan't personal space, go and ride your rollers, on the road stuff happens, and I'm literally amazed so many of you find those who try to ride with you the ultimate PITA. shame, really...

and one more thing: I too would like people to be more polite, to say hi, ask, etc. it bothers me on the personal culture level that they don't or rarely do, but then again: if they asked, would I ever say no? hell no. so it may leave a bad taste (if I wanna be that sensitive) but ultimately changes nothing. :noidea:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

Rondje wrote:Let's get back on the 'PRO' discussion..
Weird situation in Qatar today. The sprint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5O3VVNxxHU No barriers at the start of the sprint made some guys crash pretty badly. I just wonder if its really the organisation's fault that the crash happened. Yes, maybe they should have placed barriers earlier, but would it matter? Those guys just blindly try to swap road side to get to the front and then end up on the sidewalk in the middle of that road. If the barriers started on the next gap they all ended up outside the track. But the guy in the red sweater is too scared to stay in his position and runs off as well which gets the road wide open.

nice, another F-up from the race orgranisators'. yes, they should've placed the barriers cutting off that lane on the left. why the hell would they leave it open?
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Tymon given Campbell Flakemore was taken out by a fan last year and broke his collarbone I'm quite sure we're not being hysterical.

Additionally Strava and - dare I suggest, racing - exist for the precise purpose of 'testing yourself'. Wheelsuckers and Durian Rider (in this instance) utilised neither.

You think it's safe. That's fine. I'm not here to convince you otherwise or say you're wrong. You are wrong though for trying to trivialise the danger for those not comfortable with it.

djconnel

by djconnel

Safe or not rude. Someone compared it to an office. Not an office but a public space like a library. If I saw someone I admired in the library working and I sat closely next to him with plenty of empty chairs that would be a bit rude.

On Qatar: it's easy to see how the mistake was made, since they figured barriers are for spectators, and there's very few at this race, even in the final few hundred meters. But they still screwed up.

Interesting Cav pointed out the leader's jersey likely cost him the win, versus a more aerodynamic skin suit or even a form-fitting jersey. This isn't the first time this has come up: Wiggins, I recall, had a similar issue.

KWalker

by KWalker

ave wrote:Why would anybody sit on somebody else's wheel when the guy in front is doing recovery pace? I mean sitting on his wheel it must be no effort at all.

Happens more often than you'd think. Freds are weird.

I sometimes commute on my road bike (S-Works Tarmac with Roval CLX60s). Despite wearing jeans, people still half wheel and ride my wheel.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I would say the DD leadout train needs more organisation instead - Katusha seems to be quite dominant at the front for both days and the DD leadout rather fragmented...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

fogman

by fogman

One pro team using disc brakes in Qatar. First team to use disc brakes in 2016.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... tar-211236

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/02/ ... tar_394934

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

tymon_tm wrote:since the Fbook and internetz era we've become so alienated, deprived of normal, physical man-to-man contacts we see any interaction as a violation.
Really? The first time i ever got myself shouted at for wheel sucking was when i was about 13. I'm 42 now.