2016 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

I dunno why everyone is complaining- the ToC stage to Laguna Seca was certainly as good as an Ardennes classic this year, the Giro had some awesome stages, the Vuelta has been pure shenanigans the last two or three years so IMO the summer isn't that boring. I guess the sheer number of race days might water down excitement or make it hard to know what to pay attention to.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Vagabond wrote:
djcharlou wrote:
Seen on steephill apparently Sagan was in difficulty to finish the stage.

I like Velonews but I don't think they've ever missed their mark as much as they did with their latest musings that one day Sagan can be a Stage race contender. No way. It will never happen as long as they keep the traditional format with big mountains. And the Tour of California isn't even comparable to the Giro, Tour, or Vuelta.

You're aware it was a whimsical piece, right? The hair being the source of his strength didn't give it away?

Seems not.

And as for FdJ being 'old school' - look at the developments (and improvements) they've made in both forms of time trialling this year. There truly are now not many top level teams that can get away with keeping their head in the sand when it comes to training and race prep.

Maury

by Maury

BREAKING NEWS: IAM Cycling is not going for the General Classification.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Maury wrote:BREAKING NEWS: IAM Cycling is not going for the General Classification.

We know what the riders are going for... next season contracts! Not surprising to see a flying Stef Clement :idea:

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

It would be a bad decision and a waste of a career if someone decided to turn Sagz into a GT GC contendor. Any manager with a right mind would no it would be a waste of talent, stick with what hei s good at. Would love to see him win Roubaix

djcharlou

by djcharlou

Some suprises on the start list of the TDF:
No Stybar and Gaviria for Etixx, to much to deal already with Alaphilippe and Kittel ?
Katusha riding for Zakarin as leader , not Purito

ichobi

by ichobi

Purito is probably planning retirement soon. He's been quiet this season. May be pull off a Vuelta podium one last time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidalone

by davidalone

djcharlou wrote:Some suprises on the start list of the TDF:
No Stybar and Gaviria for Etixx, to much to deal already with Alaphilippe and Kittel ?
Katusha riding for Zakarin as leader , not Purito

wow, just two months after he breaks his collarbone in that scary crash? will he be in shape?

Antoine

by Antoine

Gaviria is only 21 and he will ride the omnium at Rio.

Against Cavendish, Viviani, Boudat, ... , great battle for sure

Nightrider

by Nightrider

Antoine wrote:Gaviria is only 21 and he will ride the omnium at Rio.

Against Cavendish, Viviani, Boudat, ... , great battle for sure

Even without the Olympics I don't think it would be smart to race him in the Tour. This years Tour de Suisse is the longest race he's ever ridden and this year was the first year he even rode a World Tour race. There is a lot of time to develop him as a rider without risking burning him out.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

+1 on that. Especially for Ettix - Quick Step who are hardly in need of wins or more depth in the team. :D
Ride it like you stole it

petepeterson

by petepeterson

I don't understand how people are surprised when teams don't just take their 9 highest ranked / most popular guys. Etixx have clearly stated they are going for sprint wins with Kittel which is the right approach. You need guys in the leadout/support roles. So then are you going to take Gaviria/Stybar over Tony/Dan Martin and Alaphilipe?

On Zakarin that was a nasty looking crash but there is plenty of precedent on quick comebacks from collarbone breaks. Or winning tour stages with a broken collarbone.

davidalone

by davidalone

Astana's Shortlist for the tour:

Fabio Aru, Vincenzo Nibali, Jakob Fuglsang, Diego Rosa, Paolo Tiralongo, Dario Cataldo, Andriy Grivko, Luis Leon Sanchez, Alexey Lutsenko and Tanel Kangert.

Holy S**t thats alot of grand tour firepower.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Usually teams prepare together for GT, but Aru and Nibali are in different training camps now.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com