2016 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Dez33

by Dez33

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Dez33 wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:Once again aero trumps weight savings :D

Chris Froome: TT bike, slightly modified, mid-depth tri-spoke front wheel, rear disc (1st)
Tom Dumoulin: TT bike, mid-depth wheels (2nd)
Richie Porte: Road bike, drop bars, TT extensions, 50mm rear wheel and shallow front wheel (4th)
Romain Bardet: Road bike, TT base bar and extensions, mid-depth wheels (5th)
Nairo Quintana: TT bike, mid-depth wheels (Bora 50) (10th)
Alejandro Valverde: TT bike, rear disc, 50mm front (12th)
Adam Yates: TT bike, 50mm rear wheel and 35mm front wheel (16th)
Bauke Mollema: Road bike, drop bars, aero extensions, 50mm rear wheel, 35mm front wheel (17th)
Dan Martin: Road bike, drop bars, time trial extensions, shallow front and rear wheels (18th)

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/07/bikes-and-tech/bike-selection-was-tricky-for-tour-favorites-in-stage-18_415468#M94mt2ulCbxzClAG.99

All of those setups are aero, some more than others.

When you add in Aru 3rd on a road bike it's less clear which was the better setup for the mostly uphill course. Froome won because he was strongest, would he have got a bigger a gap on say Porte or Aru's setup? Can't tell, you can't tell anything from a single snapshot like the above.

To me it looks like Porte and Aru lost less time than they normally would in an ITT.

:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9BSPZtjJuc

Not really relative, they compared a standard road bike whereas I'm making a comparison between a road bike with aero extensions and a pure TT bike.

We know on a flat to rolling course a TT bike is unquestionably faster.
We know on a steep mountain ITT like say, Plan de Corones that a pure road bike with no tri bars is faster.

At points between the extreme of the steepest mountain ITT and the flatest ITT, that a road bike with tri bars will become faster than the pure road bike, then a pure TT bike will become faster than the road bike with tri bars as sloops decrease.

One snapshot on stage 18 hasn't told us which was the faster choice. Froome won, no surprise.

Dez33

by Dez33

milroy wrote:
wingguy wrote:...Contador never beat the Chicken...

I know its not what you meant but Contador did beat the Chicken in an epic battle on Stage 14 in 2007 with Cuddles in third almost 2 minutes back. I think it was his first TdF stage win.

I wouldn't even get into semantics. They both started the race, Contador won the race therefore he beat him. Pretty simple really.

And also in relation to the bun fight going on between the other two, Ricco has a GT podium, Chicken does not.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Grinley

by Grinley

Regarding the aero setups:

The full TT setups of Dumoulin and Froome may or may not have been faster than the other setups but there's no doubt that those two were way more careful in their equipment choices. A lot of the GC guys weren't even wearing shoe covers. Surely shoe covers in a Tour de France time trial are a no brainer. Richie Porte didn't have shoe covers and went with the Synthe over the Aerohead. The Synthe is probably a bit cooler but no doubt the Aerohead would have been faster. It seemed like there was quite a bit of low hanging fruit like that that some guys left on the table.

A lot of the choices on bike likely came down to what they thought they would be more comfortable on but that really just speaks to how much more emphasis someone like Froome or Dumoulin puts on training on the TT bike and getting comfortable with it. TT's clearly play an important role in deciding the GC so shouldn't all these GC contenders be focusing on being comfortable with their TT bike?

milroy

by milroy

I understood wingguy was meaning "ahead in time" - which he said, and is accurate in context.

That stage is hilarious btw. Utterly brazen.

ave

by ave

I'm pretty sure all the weight weeniesm contra aero polemic is fuelled by those who know aero is faster. For sure, I always encourage my competitors to use their light bike for climbing races, not the aero one! ;)

addictR1

by addictR1

I was surprised that Porte was riding his SLR01 with aerobars as oppose to TM01.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wingguy

by wingguy

Dez33 wrote:
milroy wrote:

I know its not what you meant but Contador did beat the Chicken in an epic battle on Stage 14 in 2007 with Cuddles in third almost 2 minutes back. I think it was his first TdF stage win.
I wouldn't even get into semantics. They both started the race, Contador won the race therefore he beat him. Pretty simple really.

Simple, but pointless and misleading in context.

kgt

by kgt

Grinley wrote:A lot of the choices on bike likely came down to what they thought they would be more comfortable on

Just that.

de zwarten

by de zwarten

Grinley wrote:A lot of the choices on bike likely came down to what they thought they would be more comfortable on

That could be true, but they should have replaced 'comfortable' by 'faster', as 'comfortable' is not, and will never be the question to ask for a TT. TT are about going fast, not necessarily comfortable (but ok, comfort helps)

ultyguy

by ultyguy

cool video from Eurosport on echelons looking at Lotto's demolition of Stage 3 Tour of Turkey this year...
https://twitter.com/Eurosport_UK/status ... 5494115329

Dez33

by Dez33

wingguy wrote:
Dez33 wrote:
milroy wrote:

Simple, but pointless and misleading in context.

It's not misleading at all. Contador won the race, chicken did not. It's just stating the facts. It matters not who was ahead at any point in the race but who is ahead at the finish.

As well as Ricco having a GT podium. Another fact you overlooked.

xena
Banned

by xena

:popcorn:
wingguy wrote:
xena wrote:Froome was not injured any more than Bertie.

How do you know? They had two different injuries. You cannot possibly say that you know they both recovered at the same rate and were both able to carry their best form into the Vuelta. When you give Froome no credit for beating Contador siply because 'Bertie had no form' the hypocrisy is laughable.

2011 Evans would have won this tour easy, his form was incredible at that time and his climbing was as good as anyone. Just look at his results

I have, have you? His climbing wasn't as good as anyone's. He lost over two minutes in the summit finishes and won 2.30 on the TTs and 1.09 on a technical descent. Do you think he definitely would have beaten Froome in the TTs, in the mountains and on the descents? Honestly?

A top form Schleck would have won this tour [ plenty of climbing] You seemed to have missed out Armstrong , Basso. Chicken, I could go on.All riders who at their best climb on a level above Froome. I don't know why you laugh at Rico . His climbing was incredible.

This Tour has lots of climbing but two technical TTs (which generated big time gaps) and only a few summit finishes. Again - you think Schleck is soo much stronger than Froome in the mountains that he could definitely absorb the massive time gaps that would open in the TTs? You are very optimistic, I'll give you that.

As for Basso he never finished on the podium of a GT that Contador won, Armstrong was after the comeback and wasn't only beaten by Contador, Contador never beat the Chicken, the Chicken was beating him before being chucked from the race, and yes I laugh at Ricco in a list of 'great' riders that Contador defeated. The highlight of his Palmares was the Tour of Austria (that focus of any serious race calendar) where he beat nobody, nobody, Tiago Machado and nobody. If Ricardo Ricco is a 'great' cyclist that Contador defeated then I could name 20 'great' cyclist that Froome's wiped the floor with.

Mate, your cycling history is shocking - you seriously need to do some more research!

In 2013 Froome got dropped twice in the mountains in the last week. last year Quintana destroyed him in the mountains in the last week . Those are facts

In 2013 Froome dropped everyone else in the first two weeks by more than he was dropped by anyone in the third week. In 2015 Froome destroyed Quintana by so much in the first two weeks that no-one could believe he was doing it clean, before Quintana turned the tables and gained some time in the third. And the fact is that your claim that Froome 'always' loses time in the mountains to everyone else has only been true in 1 Tour out of 3, and by the end of this one it'll almost certainly be 1 Tour out of 4. You can't just pick and choose his bad days to prove your point and ignore the good days. It doesn't work like that. The Tour lasts 3 weeks, it's not just the last week of 3 that counts. Maybe your under the same delusion as Unzue on that count. Finally on that point, there is a little thing called strategy too. If your strategy is to smash the first half of the race you may well suffer near the end. If your strategy is to conserve for fourteen days then go nuts, you may well gain time back at the end. It's a pretty simple concept.

Froome cannot climb consistently well over 3 weeks against high calibre rivals.

Again, Kruijswijk. Seriously.

Since when has froome attacked in his tour wins from 10 km out and put the race to bed in one attack.

You're confusing riding style with effectiveness. They are two different things. Since when did Evans attack from 10km out and put a GT to bed in one ride? Never, but you still said he was awesome - so how does that work? And again, because you evidently missed it the first time, just because Froome has always won with a big team doesn't mean that he wouldn't be capable of winning without a big team. But just like Cavendish in the HTC days he's not going to give up what he's got, move to a low budget team with confused ambitions and try to win with them just to prove you wrong. Maybe he could, maybe he couldn't, but you cannot say he's incapable of it just because he's never been in a position where he's had to try.

I call it has I see it.

Yeah I know. The problem is you need glasses :roll:

Yeah I do need glasses I'm a bit short sighted :lol: Do you really think Froome could have pulled back the Schleck attack single handed ?dragging the peloton along in a head wind and then closing him down on the last climb.? seriously. Go back and take a look at who Evans was climbing against and beating ,No offence but it was not Porte Yates etc it was Schleck ,Bertie etc climbers/ riders on a much higher level.
Did Evans win the tour ? did Evans win the WC. His results look pretty good to me and if he had not had the bad luck he had , he would have won a lot more GT's.

Did basso win the Giro? Bertie beat Chicken who then got [unfairly IMO ] pulled from the race . Froome could not have lived with those 2 on any climb . A top form Schleck is on a different level to froome in the mountains. He would have dropped him just like the way Bertie has dropped him so many times and Quintana last year as well [80 seconds :lol: on alp d huez, 80 seconds] Schleck would certainly have not lost much time on the Mountain TT yesterday and would have had plenty time to pull back any difference from a flat TT.

Rico at his best could easily out climb Froome. He was at a different level before his bust. Gt win anyone?

I'm not picking and choosing you are . Froomes first tour win he got dropped twice in the "LAST WEEK" and do I have to mention Quintana again [ 80 seconds on one climb] yes I do. :lol: that's my point and its true.

Froome hurt his wrist 2014, Bertie had a fracture in his leg and still has the scars on his knee this day. Who was worse off?

I think you memory is short . I don't remember those long attacks at the Vuelta to get time back from Bertie. in fact he just TT up the climbs then Bertie just took off and dropped him with ease , wanna see the video?

I have given credit to Froome for his victory's take a look , I have said countless times that he was worthy of all his tour wins. Perhaps you need glasses.

If Froome had beaten Bertie in 2014 then I would agree with some of your points but he did not he got his a%% handed to him and last year as well by Quintana in the mountains . No wind split no tour win. time gained, time lost.

"that no-one could believe he was doing it clean" You seriously think Froome is clean. Did you see the data I posted some pages back from tests done on EPO ? Obviously you did not. Go back a few pages and get a education.

We could carry this debate on for ever , we are not going to agree. 80seconds up alp d huez :lol:

:popcorn:
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Did I just jump into a parallel universe? Why are we discussing how brilliant Armstrong, Basso, Ricco, and The Chicken were going up hill?
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

wingguy

by wingguy

Dez33 wrote:It's not misleading at all. Contador won the race, chicken did not. It's just stating the facts. It matters not who was ahead at any point in the race but who is ahead at the finish.

It is absolutely misleading and dishonest in the context of Xena's statement that Contador is better than Froome because he beat these great riders. Froome is equally as capable as Contador of beating riders who get disqualified. This is a fact.

As well as Ricco having a GT podium. Another fact you overlooked.

I didn't overlook it. However, if you insist on it then I'll agree with you, and I'll thank you for making my entire point for me. If Ricco is a 'great' rider because he finished on the podium of a GT then every rider who finished on the TDF podium under Froome is also by definition a 'great' rider, and Froome beat them all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

MattSoutherden wrote: I just jump into a parallel universe? Why are we discussing how brilliant Armstrong, Basso, Ricco, and The Chicken were going up hill?

Probably because in the same universe people eulogize the likes of Indurain, Merckx and Pantani...