2016 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Ahillock

by Ahillock

53x12 wrote:Image

Nice move by Roy Jans to get into 3rd there. Just not fast enough to get ahead of the two guys in front of him.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

To clarify, the tarmac behind our wheel is private property owned by the rider, or nah?

LeDuke

by LeDuke

tranzformer wrote:
LeDuke wrote:
tranzformer wrote:
sfo423 wrote:
KWalker wrote:I see you ride in Marin often! Its the worst in CA, not going to lie.

Word. Had a douche-hipster sit on me this AM w/out a "good morning" or "hey howya doin" or "mind if I sit on"

Happens on 90% of my mid-week AM rides.

Couldn't drop the "douche-hipister" I assume?

When I'm out for a recovery ride and the intent is not to blow up my legs, "dropping" people isn't really on the menu.

If people want to suck wheel, they should at least have the decency to announce themselves, or say hello, and ask if it's OK.

No need to ask. Not like the tarmac behind you is private property.

If you don't like someone on your wheel, ride off. If you can't ride off because you aren't fast enough or because it is a "recovery ride" then just sit up and coast to a stop and have them ride past you if it is such a big deal.

Again, the tarmac behind your wheel is not private property. You don't like it, ride off or just stop riding and have them ride past you.

Or, I can check how my brakes are doing, and by doing so, put you into a curb. Or traffic. Which would you prefer?

If you don't like those options, see my previous statement.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Last edited by LeDuke on Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ave

by ave

Why would anybody sit on somebody else's wheel when the guy in front is doing recovery pace? I mean sitting on his wheel it must be no effort at all.

53x12

by 53x12

LeDuke wrote:Or, I can check how my brakes are doing, and by doing so, put you into a curb. Or traffic. Which would you prefer?

If you don't like those options, see my previous statement.

Sounds like your brake check would also put you into the curb and/or traffic as well. Choose wisely.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

sfo423

by sfo423

He sat until we started the climb to the Bridge. I made it uncomfortable and he was gone. Generally, I just blow a few snot rockets to send the message.

All the talk of "owning the tarmac" is ridiculous. A little shred of etiquette or friendliness goes a long ways when you want to use someone.

tranzformer wrote:
sfo423 wrote:
KWalker wrote:I see you ride in Marin often! Its the worst in CA, not going to lie.

Word. Had a douche-hipster sit on me this AM w/out a "good morning" or "hey howya doin" or "mind if I sit on"

Happens on 90% of my mid-week AM rides.

Couldn't drop the "douche-hipister" I assume?

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

so many negative vibes, y'all got dropped today or what? :lol:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

mattr

by mattr

I don't like people i don't know drafting me. I don't know if they know their arse from their elbow. I don't know if they are an unpredictable wobbler who will ride into the back of me at the slightest provocation, or someone who will gaze into the middle distance and bring me down as they miss a corner. Or the last time they serviced their brakes the UK still had a king.

Same reason i don't follow people i don't know either. Even stopped riding with our local club as the discipline is so poor that riding as a bunch will see one or two near misses/wheel touches every week. And someone skidding down the road once a month.

Rondje

by Rondje

Let's get back on the 'PRO' discussion..
Weird situation in Qatar today. The sprint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5O3VVNxxHU No barriers at the start of the sprint made some guys crash pretty badly. I just wonder if its really the organisation's fault that the crash happened. Yes, maybe they should have placed barriers earlier, but would it matter? Those guys just blindly try to swap road side to get to the front and then end up on the sidewalk in the middle of that road. If the barriers started on the next gap they all ended up outside the track. But the guy in the red sweater is too scared to stay in his position and runs off as well which gets the road wide open.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

sfo423 wrote:He sat until we started the climb to the Bridge. I made it uncomfortable and he was gone. Generally, I just blow a few snot rockets to send the message.

All the talk of "owning the tarmac" is ridiculous. A little shred of etiquette or friendliness goes a long ways when you want to use someone.

I'm not the one that started the idea of one "owning the tarmac" behind their wheel. I might have put those words together in that sequence but the idea was begun when people said that if someone wants to suck onto their rear wheel the other rider needs to "announce themselves, or say hello, and ask if it's OK" or else they will put your life in danger and ride you into the curb or traffic. Again, if it is private property, than you need the permission of the property owner to be on it. If they tell you to get lost, then you need to leave.

So again, all this talk about needing permission to ride on the public road is a bunch of nonsense. If someone is sucking your wheel, you have two simple options. Increase the tempo and drop the other rider (if you are capable of doing so) or just slow down and pull over and let them pass you. No need for passive aggressive behavior of slamming on the brakes or trying to force the other rider into the curb or traffic.

The other rider behind you doesn't need to ask for permission or be granted permission to ride behind you. If you don't like that they are on your wheel or are following too closely, then drop them.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

You wouldn't walk 30 centimetre behind someone. You wouldn't jog just off the heels of someone. Hell people even give you more space on public transport than I've been given by some unknowns on my wheel.

It's simply about personal space. Some have no issue with it being invade, plenty do. Especially if you've made the decision to go for a solo ride. Some invading personal space have no idea they're even doing it - in which case see the above. Because even those completely oblivious would never think "I'm going for a run and going to park myself within an hands width of someone's heels".

That's all it is. A lack of common courtesy.

(cue someone saying they always have someone on their heels when they're running - cos it wouldn't be the tinternetz without a contrarian).

xena
Banned

by xena

tymon_tm wrote:so many negative vibes, y'all got dropped today or what? :lol:

Spot on. All the name calling his only because they cant drop hipsters on fixed bikes :lol:

Here's a tip, stick it in smaller cog and turn your pedals faster , works for me every time :lol:
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

53x12

by 53x12

If you are riding fast enough, you'll never have to worry about someone sucking your wheel. Amiright?

Sounds like some need to HTFU.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

petepeterson

by petepeterson

LOL regarding snot rockets - I do the same thing. Sitting on someone's wheel because they don't 'own the road' is such a pathetic argument and defines new cycling fredism. It's just awkward. Imagine any other situation in life where you come upon another person, say nothing, and proceed to follow them around.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

petepeterson wrote:It's just awkward. Imagine any other situation in life where you come upon another person, say nothing, and proceed to follow them around.

Couple of Aussie comedians did it

https://youtu.be/ZbBcL4BjadM?t=133

it's funny, but as you can see not even a minute before the person is on to it and not a great reaction. Yet riders - not looking for the company of someone unknown right behind them - is meant to be OK with it. Just silly.