2016 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

petal666

by petal666

That's make you a mechanical doper.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spud

by spud

therein lies the problem - Strava is purely on the honor system, and as such, there is no verification/qualification of any kind (weather/wind, passing cars, doping etc). So don't take it seriously. If you are complaining about proper doping, by definition you are taking it too seriously.

You want the real props, go racing. Otherwise, enjoy the ride.

boysa

by boysa

This is exactly why I don't like Gaimon. Somehow he sees a difference between Levi and Horner. Can anyone explain that? Hey, personally I think they are all doping, or have at some point, and frankly I don't care anymore. But it seems to me Phil picks good-guys vs. losers based on who his friends are (see: Danielson, Tom).

It's the hypocrites I despise.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

yea that whole article..... ugh.

i dont mind gaimon doing what he's doing, but the gray line he's painting between levi, brand-sorenson, and his boi tommy d is confusing and nearly comical.

also it's my opinion that his retirement was because of the drapac-cannondale merger and less of the 'i wanted to give my spot to young kids coming up racing'

AJS914 wrote:You would think Strava would remove all the KOMs from someone who receives a lifetime doping ban - on the other hand you can be anonymous on Strava and they probably don't want to be the KOM police. I could go ride those segments on a motorcycle tomorrow and take all of Gaimon's KOMs away and there would be nothing anyone could do as long as I was clever about it.

a friend of mine who worked for strava said they were toying with the idea like road-results , putting a syringe icon next to people's accounts who were busted for doping or had been suspended.

.... and this is a separate wishlist item, but it would be easy to do to have these features imho....

1. pros specific leaderboard
2. to decipher a KOM that was taken on a group ride vs solo. (doesn't account for those that dont have strava accounts)

wingguy

by wingguy

nathanong87 wrote:i dont mind gaimon doing what he's doing, but the gray line he's painting between levi, brand-sorenson, and his boi tommy d is confusing and nearly comical.

Oh not confusing at all, it's totally logical! Sorenson was doping to get online kudos, and this is heinous and unacceptable. Danielson was doping to beat other riders to race results, contracts and money, and this is absolutely fine.

boysa

by boysa

Logical? I don't know.
1. Danielson was actually cheating and in violation of the rules of his sport. Sorenson did the same when he popped at US Nats, but his Strava exploits? Is there a Strava "Code of Conduct" of which I'm unaware?
2. If I even give the benefit of the doubt re. Danielson v. Brandt-Sorenson, how does one justify Danielson vs. Horner vs. Levi vs. Lance vs. (fill in the blank)? Seems to me it all comes down to a personalty/popularity contest. Lance is a jerk, so he's scum. Big George is a nice guy, so who cares what he did. We forget about Merckx, but will never forget Ricco.

Hey, as I said, I think they are all guilty. But picking winners and losers on the basis of who we like seems hypocritical.

edit: just re-read the above post, and I'm not sure if I detect sarcasm or not.

KWalker

by KWalker

The fact that Gaimon has nothing better to do says a lot...

From what I have been told Strava has not been able to properly implement the group ride item because of the edge case where someone is riding and gets passed and/or passes a group ride so it looks like they're in the ride, but they're not. GPS data is not going to be accurate enough to distinguish if you passed the ride by a foot or were riding in it drafting.

Pros vs. regular leader boards should have been implemented years ago.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

AJS914

by AJS914

Gaimon supposedly discusses the article on this podcast (I haven't listened to it yet).

http://wideanglepodium.com/the-myerson- ... il-gaimon/

pinoymamba

by pinoymamba

KWalker wrote:The fact that Gaimon has nothing better to do says a lot...

Only way to stay relevant.

boots2000

by boots2000

Strava is weak sauce.
Anyone who cares about Strava is a joke.

KWalker

by KWalker

Millions of people are jokes then. I don't have Strava anymore, but a lot of people take it seriously even if only for themselves. For social status or judging others it's stupid, but as a measuring stick that someone can use to push their riding it's still pretty neat in a lot of ways.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

petepeterson

by petepeterson

There are so many issues with taking strava too seriously but I do think it is a really amazing tool.

People applauding Gaimon's efforts to cleanse strava need to expand their perspective on the sport. As others mentioned and I tweeted him the other day, why doesn't he go take Mt. Lemmon from Tommy D? If he was doing this quietly that would be one thing but making such a big deal out of it only makes his stance on doping look very hypocritical towards the above mentioned dopers. Is he more certain that Sorenson was more doped than Tommy D was when he took his KOMs? The only difference is that they aren't friends.

AJS914

by AJS914

I love Strava but I don't care about KOMs even though I was lucky enough to get two. I use it to track my own progress and see what rides my friends are doing.

KOMs are mostly meaningless since people can do them in their car, on an e-bike, on a group ride, or on a triathlon bike. It's hard to compare unless you are comparing against yourself.

boysa

by boysa

Strava can be quite a useful tool. For someone such as myself, who moves around often, it is a great way to scope out upcoming race courses, especially since I'm most likely not familiar with the parcours. I can see what the best times are and plan accordingly.

I don't mind Gaimon doing whatever he's doing for publicity or name recognition, or using any of it to turn a dime, but he could just keep his mouth shut and ride his bike. I used to despise guys like Valverde who do just that... simply ride their bike, showing no remorse and not making many comments about the past or other riders.. but now I'm starting to think I appreciate their stance more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

Exactly, Valverde is probably the slyist fox of all. Dude just keeps his pie hole shut, gets on with it, and banks classics V's like they're going out of style. So much stupid yapping from guys like Gaimon and King.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk