2016 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

maquisard

by maquisard

wingguy wrote:
jooo wrote:
maquisard wrote:Indeed, the UCI weigh in when someone else shows initiative.

I simply don't have words for what an inept clown Bryan Cookson is. I find it staggering that someone like him can find himself head of the UCI. The man is a dimwit, when he speaks he can't help sounding stupid.

Every opportunity to take a dig at Cookson and you're there on cue. I find it rather comical. It shows you fail to understand how complex many issues actually are and how little power the UCI actually has.

Yep, it's funny how he doesn't seem to understand that as UCI President, Cookson doesn't actually get to make up the rules on a whim.

I'm well aware that he doesn't get to make up rules on a whim. Please highlight for me when I ever suggested that.

What the UCI president is expected to do is show leadership, and Cookson has never done that. In fact it has been shocking at times the lack of leadership shown. Serious crash in women's road race at Olympics, silence. Numerous crashes involving motos in professional road racing this year, one of which resulting in a death, silence. The quite obvious and widespread issue of TUE abuse in pro-cycling, silence. The complete farce of the UCI road race championships in the Middle-East this year, silence.

You find it rather comical that I criticise someone paid a lot of money to be in a leadership role and who is failing miserably at it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

maquisard wrote:I'm well aware that he doesn't get to make up rules on a whim. Please highlight for me when I ever suggested that.

Well, you just criticised the UCI for telling ASO what the rules are, and implied it was Cookson's fault. What other conclusion is there? Cookson doesn't get to unilaterally decide not to follow the existing rules, and you either don't understand that or you're so obsessed you just want to use any mention of the UCI to make non-sequitur bashes of him.

MiSzA (PL)

by MiSzA (PL)

Rondje wrote:The wire coming out of it on the back? (...)

5 port junction for Di2 - probably.

maquisard

by maquisard

wingguy wrote:
maquisard wrote:I'm well aware that he doesn't get to make up rules on a whim. Please highlight for me when I ever suggested that.

Well, you just criticised the UCI for telling ASO what the rules are, and implied it was Cookson's fault. What other conclusion is there? Cookson doesn't get to unilaterally decide not to follow the existing rules, and you either don't understand that or you're so obsessed you just want to use any mention of the UCI to make non-sequitur bashes of him.

Again I have never suggested that Cookson sets the UCI rules, my previous post didn't make or insinuate that. However he is the president of the UCI and as president or CEO he has over riding reponsibility for the tone with which the organisation governs the sport and also to provide leadership of that governance. He isn't doing that, what is he actually doing, answer me that, anything?

I think he is worthy of bashing yes, but only because he comes across as inept. Again I highlight the issue of riders being hit by motos in races this year, I think the way he has handled that is disgraceful. It is a complex issue with many actors and it is too easy to simply blame the moto drivers. However someone needed to lead a debate and understand the issues at hand, he hasn't done that or even attempted to, that is a disgrace.

mattr

by mattr

maquisard wrote:He isn't doing that, what is he actually doing, answer me that, anything?
You mean you have no knowledge of what he is doing, rather than "he isn't doing anything". Two completely different things.

And to be frank, the UCI has enough internal issues following on from all the shit that McQuid and VerDruggen left behind that he'll need to manage and lead his staff through that first. Without being answerable to an internet chat board.

Just have to wonder how many of the national/federation representatives, staff and so on owe their allegiance (and a shit load of money) to the outgoing pair of crooks? I know that there are a good few international feds that are still run based on corruption, old boys networks and if your face fits (or not). Even BC has issues (Shane Sutton for instance) and they are run more like a company then a club. Can't be easy leading an organisation where a percentage of the people involved are spending time covering their tracks.

How many of the existing TV/advertising/sponsorship deals and equipment rules and so on are based on greased palms rather than solid business negotiations?
You don't know, neither do i. But i'd guess, given the time the Pat and Hein were left running things into the ground that there is a hell of a lot of stuff that needs looking into and dealing with first.

Once he's got the UCI on a solid footing, as he did with BC (nearly), he'll probably end up being replaced with a leader rather than a manager.

wingguy

by wingguy

maquisard wrote:Again I have never suggested that Cookson sets the UCI rules, my previous post didn't make or insinuate that.

So it was just a coincidence that you decided to criticise Cookson while responding to a post about the UCI following their own rules?

However someone needed to lead a debate and understand the issues at hand, he hasn't done that or even attempted to, that is a disgrace.

Who are you comparing him to? In what ways did McQuaid and Verbruggen show 'leadership' that Cookson hasn't - except for when it came to covering up drug test results?

maquisard

by maquisard

As I've said, I am comparing his to anyone in a leadership role as president or CEO of an organisation. Not necessarily Verbruggan or McQuaid who were corrupt.

I'm not even convinced he is that good a manager either. As others have said, the day to day running of the UCI is not done by the president.

wingguy

by wingguy

maquisard wrote:As I've said, I am comparing his to anyone in a leadership role as president or CEO of an organisation. Not necessarily Verbruggan or McQuaid who were corrupt.

Oh I see. I guess I got confused because of you saying "I am no fan of Hein or Pat either but at least they came across as leaders." and "Bring back either Hein or Pat."

It kinda seems like you're directly comparing them to Cookson, and it kinda seems like asking how their leadership was better than Cookson's (apart from being better at corruption) is a fair question. :noidea:

micky

by micky

I think there were a lot of expectations with Cookson not only about the past UCI magament, but also about the "ASO war" which looked solved recently but then it's in a very similar situation as before.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Jack Bobridge retired at 27. That surprised me feels like he's been around forever.

micky

by micky

Finally it's confirmed in October the last WT race in China, Tour of Guangxi, which also includes the UCI Gala at the end.

zzmkdw

by zzmkdw

I was never really a fan of Phil, but stuff like this makes me like him.

https://cyclingtips.com/2016/12/gaimon-begins-retirement-by-hunting-banned-riders-strava-koms/

glepore

by glepore

Why I like Phil, and why I hate Strava...
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

micky wrote:Finally it's confirmed in October the last WT race in China, Tour of Guangxi, which also includes the UCI Gala at the end.

China, Middle East, places with great cycling traditions perfect for hosting the UCI Gala
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I liked this quote from Gaimon:

"I know a ton of guys who could take these KOMs clean — Mike Woods and Joe Dombrowski could take them with one leg. But unlike me, those guys have better things to do."

You would think Strava would remove all the KOMs from someone who receives a lifetime doping ban - on the other hand you can be anonymous on Strava and they probably don't want to be the KOM police. I could go ride those segments on a motorcycle tomorrow and take all of Gaimon's KOMs away and there would be nothing anyone could do as long as I was clever about it.