2016 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Dez33

by Dez33

I think Quintana will win as well, it's his time. He would be a popular winner as well although I would be equally as happy if Contador wins.

Sagan ftw in the green, and polka dot winner is a lucky dip so won't even attempt to pick that, actually I will go Quintana on that as well.
Last edited by Dez33 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

pastronef

by pastronef

Dowsett with Diadora overshoes for his Bonts 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I struggle to see how Quintana can win with 54km of time trialling. Froome would have to truly blow on one of the mountains. And while he could crack, I can't see him losing more time than he'll take back in the TTs.

KWalker

by KWalker

Quintana is not bad at TTs, he's quite good actually for a climber and overall.

Also considering that this is one of the TTs and a damn hard climb, I'd say he's got a pretty good chance:

Even the flatter TT has over 10km of rolling climbing: http://www.steephill.tv/2016/tour-de-fr ... ile-13.jpg
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I root for Quintana and I hope someone can challenge Sky dominance in the Tour, but currently Froome and sky seem to be very-very-very strong. I can't see how could anyone win against them. Even if Froome crashes, there are at least two riders who can step up to finish in top 10 (Thomas & Landa).

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

At least it might be actually exciting this time?
Or are we in store for another snore-fest in regards to the GC, top-of-the-podium battle with Sky carrying it for Monsieur "Stem Stare" from the early stages?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Dez33

by Dez33

When I saw the profile of the two time trials I thought that was one of the things that would help Quintana's chances of winning in comparison to other years.

The first one is the day after Mont Ventoux, it's hardly flat and I doubt someone like Tony Martin will win it. Of the 34km there is only 20km of flat. The rest is either going up hill or downhill.

The second suits Quintana, I would imagine it will get raced on road bikes, not time trial bikes?

ichobi

by ichobi

While Sky's win last year may be boring, Movistar's duo was too reluctant. Froome essentially attacked to win on the first weekend, and defended his lead well there after. If anyone was aggressive, it was actually Froome. I hope Quintana ride more assertively this time round, I felt he saved up too much and played it safe attacking only on the last week. Out of road, out of time.

Antoine

by Antoine

The first stages (1-2 along the coast) are going to be very nervous , with no prologue sprinters will fight to get the yellow jersey.

Some teams will try to isolate Froome early in the climbs, they know it's their best chance.

Not sure Poel and Thomas will be as good as last year and Landa as good as Porte, so I don't see Sky able to dominate the climbs with a steady fast pace.

One early acceleration from Majka and most of Sky team mates will be gone

And the rest will have to face many attacks from agressive riders like Aru, Nibali, Barguil, Bardet, Contador,Quintana, ... and others waiting (Van Garderen, Porte, Pinot, ... )

JamieL

by JamieL

Guess whose shoes these are..

Image.

lippythelion

by lippythelion

^Blythe!
Saw them in person at the National Championships on Sunday, not one of his better designs imo

wingguy

by wingguy

Tinea Pedis wrote:I struggle to see how Quintana can win with 54km of time trialling. Froome would have to truly blow on one of the mountains. And while he could crack, I can't see him losing more time than he'll take back in the TTs.

That was my thinking before I saw the whole route, but now I'm not so sure. One of the TTs is up a mountain, the other has a fair old climb and a technical descent included.

Also it looks like the alpine stages in the last week might be more conducive to time gaps than the earlier Pyrenean ones, and on previous performances that should help Quintana.

davidalone

by davidalone

Those are sick shoes. I would rock them

KWalker

by KWalker

I don't get how this Tour could be boring. Just look at the stage profiles- lots of explosive finishes and a pretty damn heavy amount of climbing. Some of the climbing stages are absolutely brutal. I could see the lead swapping quite a few times. Sky is strong, but also very young. I do not think it is their strongest GT squad to date necessarily. Lots of horsepower, but 2012 and 2013 IMO were a bit stronger in terms of overall experience and strength.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Given the past few years dull nature (GC of course, other competitions remained intriguing) and their comparative stage profiles which projected excitement when presented with the teams and riders at the start, I may be just anticipating another disappointment.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com