Clear coat / paint with friction grit for seatposts

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

3T used to produce posts with a clear coat treatment on the bottom end of the shaft that had sand-like grit embedded in it.
It gave the inserted part of the shaft some texture and was a fantastic solution to the slipping problem so many posts have.
The application felt almost rubbery to the touch.
I was wondering if anyone is familiar with such a paint or clear coat that can be purchased separately and applied to other brands of posts.
Any advice or guidance is appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gmakris

by gmakris

I suggest to use Tacx carbon paste (latest version with small plastic pieces) - its everything you need

kode54

by kode54

gmakris wrote:I suggest to use Tacx carbon paste (latest version with small plastic pieces) - its everything you need

that's what i use. haven't had any slip at all.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

The new Tacx paste is unfortunately not what I need.
It is what I have and it does not work on two bikes.
Both of those bikes with slipping issues used to have 3T posts with this grit clear coat application and they did not slip, ever.
But I have had to change my position and the set back posts are all being swapped out for inline.
Can't find any inline 3Ts that have this friction paint, hence my question on a more permanent DIY solution (no pastes, no shims sought).

glepore

by glepore

If you don't care about appearance, roughing up the surface with some 150 grit paper helps immensely.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

OK, that is on the right track. Below the seat clamp appearance does not matter.
I will give that a try, but still think that a clear coat / paint application would be a more log term approach as it would fill in any tolerance mismatches between frame and post and allow me to use less torque.

glepore

by glepore

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-E ... /203483351
http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-GOOP%C2%A ... B0041HSXPM

Realize you're not in the USA, but there is likely a similar product available in the Eurozone, or maybe the same thru Amazon?
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Not sure if it was on this forum but I've read a success story applying a thin coat of nail polish on the area of the seat tube (tip) that compresses the post.

toastie

by toastie

what you describe almost sounds like schultz stone guard i used to apply to car sills years ago as it stays slightly rubbery feeling

xena
Banned

by xena

I have posted this many times. Get some clear coat , build it up around the clamping point so your seatpost fits nice and tight into your frame "wiggle it in position" then tighten with carbon paste and you will not need to tighten very much at all.
Your seat post will never slip again.
Don't forget to take it out once in a while so it does not seize.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

numberSix

by numberSix

^ what xena said. It's a tolerance issue.

Adding a few layers of clear coat, in the area of the clamp, will tighten the tolerance. I'd say it's easier to add one layer at a time, let fully dry then test the fit with the clamp loose.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Nail polish is not a long term solution but might work.
The Marine Anti Skid Epoxy with Grit looks like the ticket!
Thanks. I can run that down in the EU somewhere.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Those hardware store / marine anti-skid solutions look like they would be too thick.