clinchers v tubs Clinchers win

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

wojchiech

by wojchiech

KWalker wrote:Also, don't track tires use a higher pressure and in some cases something other than o2?

yep track tubs have thinner casings and treads assuming they'll be used for smooth track surfaces. Most are rated at 170psi or above, with tires like the Continental Olympic rated at 15 bar/217 psi at the upper end of the spectrum. I'd be curious to see what tires and pressures Wiggo and previous hour record chasers were running. If Wiggo went so far as to shave his beard to, ahem, shave off time, I bet they did some kind of testing to see what tires and pressures were the fastest.

I've personally run clinchers when racing track, usually high tpi race tires like Diamante Pro Lights with latex tubes at 120psi. There have been times when I did not top off my tires to 120 and ran lower pressures, but don't recall feeling like I was significantly slower. Of course I feel like my lungs, heart, and legs are exploding most of the time so any recognizable changes in rolling resistance wouldn't have been made apparent to me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com