Any Bike Parts Cheaper in Italy?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

Going on a trip to venice, florence and rome in early spring.

Any bike related stuff, parts I should try to buy when I'm there that would be noticeably cheaper than in usa?

micky

by micky

Probably stuff like tubulars?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boysa

by boysa

In my experience, the short answer is "No." You can get everything delivered to the US cheaper from the UK sites. Ribble is my go-to, but there's a ton of them.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

kgt

by kgt

You can find really nice NOS stuff for cheap.

seanblurr

by seanblurr

It's more expensive there, unless you can snag a deal on something used. But most likely not.
Instagram @seanblurr

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

Lordgun Bicycles (https://www.lordgunbicycles.com/en) in Brescia, Italy. Prices to the US cheaper than any site I know, including Ribble, Wiggle, and the other UK sites. Great service, fast shipment.

boysa

by boysa

This is a new shop to me. I'm looking at them now, and their prices for Campagnolo parts (which is my #1 overseas purchase) looks to be right on par with what I pay from Ribble. I usually wait until they have a 10% off coupon, then stock up. Do Lordgun ever have similar sales? Perhaps I'll give them a shot as I'm looking for a few items right now.

Also, do they charge shipping? Ever get hit with customs fees?

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

Lordgun charges $15 shipping. I haven't had any customs charges.

I've purchased Assos bib shorts, Catlike Mixino helmet, Shimano products (Dura Ace Di2 rear derailleur, DA cassettes), SRAM cassette, Deda bars, 3T stem and seatpost, Fizik saddle, and a bunch of other parts from them. In each case I compared vs Ribble Wiggle etc and Lordgun was substantially cheaper. The Mixino helmet, for example, was more than 50% off the US price (eg, $142 for $300 MSRP).

I haven't purchased any Campagnolo parts from them; I switched to Di2 last year and discovered Lordgun this year.
Last edited by eaglejackson on Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

In part their prices are good because the Euro is weak vs. the US dollar. My supposition is that the Pound Sterling has not been as weak as the Euro (I would have to verify exchange rates vs US $ over the past year). Weak Euro vs US $ => good deals for US buyers.

boysa

by boysa

The dollar has been strong against all currencies for quite some time, and believe me, it's one of the few things I tend to check on a daily basis! Thanks for the tip, and although it still seems as though I can get my Campy "fix" through Ribble (free shipping/10% off sales), I see some fantastic prices on tires and such at Lordgun. I'll definitely place an order through them soon and see how shipping goes. It can be hit or miss since we're out here in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

@OP... Of course, despite said vendor being located in Italy, it's still most likely MUCH easier just to order online. No VAT to deal with, no luggage issues. About the only thing I'd pick up while you are over there would be some t-shirts or maybe some local club kit. Otherwise, have a great trip.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

@boysa When I've ordered from Lordgun, it's taken typically about a week, sometimes 5 days, till package received in Seattle. Similar shipment times to Wiggle, Ribble, PBK, and Total Cycling, which are all in the UK. Oh, I've bought some jerseys from Lordgun, too, and they were at an excellent price -- cheaper than I could have bought in Italy when I was there earlier this year. In fact, how I found Lordgun is that there was a particular jersey that I wished I had bought when in Italy and did a google search for it, and found it at Lordgun, and for less money.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

^^^What shipping service does Lordgun use?

kgt

by kgt

all4cycling used to have nice deals on clothing. Not any more...

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

@sanrensho, For $15 shipping fee Lordgun uses Fed Ex rather than the Italian post.

uraqt

by uraqt

@eaglejackson

Thanks for sharing they have some great prices : )

C

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com