Autumn/Winter bibtights: Gore Bike vs La Passione

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Roel W

by Roel W

As days are getting colder I'm looking for a new set of long bibtights.
I've a lot of Gore Bike Wear stuff: jerseys, gloves, shirts, bibshorts,... and a pair of Power bibtights which I'm very pleased with. However those bibtights are already 2 years old and they've changed the design (no more heel straps, the current model has an elastic gripper) and the padding.
Currently a pair of Gore Bike Power bibtights is 124€ at Evans Cycles (regular price claimed 137€).
La Passione is quite new to me: never tried it before. Their bibtights are today (presale) 128€ (regular price is 150€). So almost the same price.

Any advice if I should extend my Gore Bike collection and buy the 2015 Power bibtight or give La Passione a try? How do they compare to each other?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

OK, I just received some of the LaPassione winter bib shorts from the pre-order deal.
These have the same material as the tights you reference.
The fit is tight - I went a size up from my normal sizing in Assos & Castelli but the same sizing as Sportful (odd yes, that Castelli and Sportful fit me dfferently, being the same basic company...) I could have fit into an XL, but the extra length in the straps for added winter base layers was imporant.
Anyway, the fabric on the La Passione has a light fleece on the inside that is super comfortable. The pad seems middle grade and perhaps a step down from Castelli and certainly from Assos. The leg length in the shorts is cut long. The brand is also positioned as a pure Italian company (company / production is apparently on Lake Garda) so that may strike a chord for you.

Now to my thoughts on GORE. Their stuff just works. The brand seems to put out a lot of technical gear with very small distinctions that allow for fine tuning to weather conditions. Fit is good and it lasts. But it is not sexy. There is nothing appealing about this brand. It works, but does not make me pull it from the drawer first.

LaPassione has one tight, and it seems to be really nice fabric with a number of design points that mark it as a item I want.
Gore will provide more options for tights, but again - yawn.

I can make no direct comparison between Gore and LaPassione bibs for you. But, if you want a pair of tights for the cold weather that many board members rely on for winter rides, then spend a little more and get the Castelli Sorpasso. Based on the value in their Espresso jacket, which I love, the Sorpasso bib tights may be the benchmark out there right now. The Sorpasso is more affordable than the LaPassione bibs at full pricing.

Roel W

by Roel W

Thanks Stolichnaya for the reply.
Meanwhile I ordered the Gore Bike Power tight. I agree about the technical excellence of Gore apparel and the clean looks but that's why I like it. Some people may call this 'boring" but I have a lot of their stuff (from different gloves an overshoes, from short sleeve jerseys over arm warmers to long sleeve jackets, gillet etc..) which I can mix and match anytime. And I don't like "loud" apparel.
Recently I discovered 7mesh. I was told that the brand was established by some former Gore Bike people. They seem to have some nice and "clean" jerseys and it's affordable.
And maybe I'll give La Passione a try for a new summer kit in a few months. They also have a very clever mix and match line up of shorts, thights and jerseys.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

7mesh was started by former Arcteryx employees.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

and that is very, very visible.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I picked up a pair of the thermal bib tights from LaPassione in a Black Friday deal.
I should have them in hand and be able to test them before Christmas.
I will report back if I can.
(The thermal bib shorts have been a very welcome piece of kit so far, the tights seem like they may get good marks as well - a lot will depend on the articulated knee area and how that is sewn.)

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

So, the La Passione thermal bib tights are a nice piece of kit. I was able to test them for 2:45 outdoors this weekend.
Temps were around 4 deg C with moderate wind.
They kept me warm until the last 25 minutes when the sun set and it got cold in a hurry.
The bib tights are extremely soft inside but there is no wind layer per say. I was not looking or this as it tends to restrict the knee - a problem for me.
Things I like:
- The knee is free. There was no pressure on the cap (as opposed to my Campagnolo and Giordana thermal bibs) due to the articulated knee / sewing.
- I sized up which was smart for winter layers and the needed strap length. I am exactly in between sizes depending on which measurement used. I am an XL for height, but my upper body, waist, thighs need the size up for comfort. (Reference: 184 cm, 89kg, short legs /long torso proportionally.)
- This sizing up brought the lower leg right down to the top of the shoe at the heel, but did not cause any overlap or bunching there when pedaling.
- The flat stitch seams seem sturdy.
-The fleece inside make these the easiest of bibs to get into from my collection.
- The lack of stirrups is a plus. Stirrups were the culprit putting pressure on my knee caps.

The pad is not 'Assos' but then again not much is. The La Passione pad was perfectly fine for an almost three hour ride in colder temps. I do not expect to ride longer than that outdoors, so the pad gets a general thumbs up. It is not the same pad as their thermal bib shorts (which is yellow.) The pad on the tights is orange and has a nice big patch of comfort / soft padding at the top, which helps a bit with wind down there, but it is not a windbreaker tight.

For those (male cyclists) in need of a nature break - the fabric around the belly is pliable enough to pull down to relieve yourself without spraining your thumb but the fabric sits high enough to not cause an undue draft.

The price was good - picked them up on the pre-order for about 30% off. I cannot complain about the value of these tights with that pricing. I will be wearing them regularly.
They look good. Understated, Italian, there's some nice minimalist reflective strips on the sides and rear zipper. The first test settled my conscious about buying them over other options. For La Passione's first shot at a technical winter bib, they get high marks from me.

As the testing continues, I will try to check back in here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nismosr

by nismosr

quick review on their Winter Jacket , I bought the Diagonal design, did a 40mile ride this past Saturday about 31F temp, I have the Large and I'm about 194lbs, wear it with just a Craft base layer. I love the cut and fit,and the length of the sleeve is spot on my frame size, I wear Rapha large and the sleeves are an inch or two longer for my arms. The jacket has fleece backing and and the front wind proof works like it says kept me warm the whole entire ride. I will definitely buy it again with a different design. Shipping to NJ was pretty quick too!
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2022 Ridley Kanzo Adv Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2022 Basso Palta 2-Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2023 Colnagno G3X-SRAM Force-Levante