Pittsburgh group rides

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

spud

by spud

A friend of mine is moving to Pittsburgh and is hoping to find some fast group rides on the weekends. She has good experience riding in large groups (<40people) on mixed terrain where we average about 23-24 mph. Better for her if the hills are not too long or too steep. Any recommendations for group rides to explore?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jdp211

by jdp211

Pittsburgh Master's Velo Club does Saturday and Sunday rides. Hanging around the cyclocross scene will net her more than a few people to ride with. PM me and I can put her in contact with a couple of people out there, I lived and rode around the 'Burgh for a few years.

Flyfishing3

by Flyfishing3

Western pa wheelman is the biggest group.

There are lots of riders but I wouldn't say lots of large group rides

To avg that kind of speed in Pgh she'll have to be a monster. There a no flat roads and nothing but climbing out my way( I live east of the city)

Where is she moving?

spud

by spud

I don't know where she is moving exactly, just know it's within city limits. Sounds like the terrain there is much hillier than here, most of our climbs last less than 3 minutes and are less than 10%. I'll advise her to check out those clubs and she can find her way into the appropriate groups etc.

Flyfishing3

by Flyfishing3

make sure she knows there is an extra tax to live in the city limits 3% on top of normal taxes just to live there based on income. If she can negotiate, make sure she knows.

i rode this AM. 28 miles with almost 2300' of climbing with some up to 20%. most decent climbs around here are 10-14%. Nothing crazy long, just tick ups.

Its not a group but

http://bikepgh.org

will let her know all thats going on in the city including commuting. The forums are under resources.

Flyfishing3

by Flyfishing3

CBRE

by CBRE

Only flat riding here is the rail trails. Most rides in PA average 1000ft of climbing per 10 miles.
Curt Brown

2016 Cannondale EVO Etap 13.8#'s
2012 Cannondale Supersix EVO etap 13.7#'s
2017 Cannondale SUPER X Force 16.0#'s
2016 Cannondale FatCad2 28.1#'s
2011 Cannondale Carbon Flash 1 17.9#'s

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com