WW more about road than MTB

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

SebK

by SebK

Is WW more of a road forum than MTB ?!!! Seems more related to road . The MTB section only gets a few views . Why ?!!! If a bike is custom it shouldn't matter if it's road or MTB !!!

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

A preference for durability over WW when in the dirt? I know I plan on ticking the durable over light box on my Epic build. Its a bike I know will probaby hit the deck pushing linits when training so the plan is ease of repair and replacement :)
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SebK

by SebK

Not really . You can have a lightweight MTB and still hit the dirt without the risk of any damage . My race bike weighs just over 7KG which is lighter than a lot of stock road bikes . Okay I've put a lot of time (and money) machining parts and having custom carbon parts made for it (some by myself) but the end result is astonishing especially as I have rear suspension at that weight too . So far no damage .

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Haha I'm heavy and pick lines that more favor my 140mm bike. Solid is a necessity [emoji14]
Using Tapatalk

SebK

by SebK

Fair enough dude .

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

moved this to chat. If you want the the mtg forum to attract more activity, then please help by creating more traffic with interesting topics and telling to your friends.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

austke

by austke

Thanks Frankie,
While I agree that there is more Road specific Taffic. There is certainly more than enough very nice WW MTB's here. You just have to search alittle harder for them. :)
WW's is still very much alive in both Road and MTB's.
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

SebK

by SebK

Fair enough Frankie .

Obviously road bikes are going to be the lightest so attract for 'weenies' . I get that but I think if more interest was put towards MTBs there would be more motivation to get the bikes even lighter .

nickf

by nickf

Mtb i really don't tinker with like my road bike. Mtb in my opinion is all about fitness and bike handling skills. A few pounds on a mtb is a non issue in my experience. I had a 29lb full suspension and was faster on it than my hardtail steel bike at 23lb. Bike handling maybe but i never felt the weight like i do on a road bike.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I have a pretty light, very durable 29er FS. Just under 10kg.

I could make it a lot lighter by switching to paper thin tires, or tires that don't grip for shit, but at the end of the day, the fastest dude around the course is the one that a) stays upright b) stays on course and c) doesn't break down. Similarly, I'm not willing to handicap myself with a 26" bike for the sake of weight.

There are very few parts on it that I'd consider swapping out, simply because they are proven, light-ish, and were within my budget.

SebK

by SebK

Handicap for the sake of 26" - ha ha !!!

LeDuke

by LeDuke

A 26" wheel is a handicap on an XC bike.

Rolling resistance, traction, etc. are not in your favor. Move on.

SebK

by SebK

I have plenty of traction and can roll over obstacles just fine . You can carry on riding your heavy a** 29" bike and I'll just fly past you on my lightweight 26" :) !!!

LeDuke

by LeDuke

SebK wrote:I have plenty of traction and can roll over obstacles just fine . You can carry on riding your heavy a** 29" bike and I'll just fly past you on my lightweight 26" :) !!!

Post a race result, or even an off-road Strava segment.

SebK

by SebK

Why - just to satisfy your ego ?!!! you really think 29" is the best - ha ha !!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com