Garmin problems

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Wonderman

by Wonderman

Hi Guys

I'm just wondering if anyone else is having similar problems to me with their garmin,

Iv had a 810 for a over 12 months and the connectivity to garmin connect on my iPhone has never been very good initially it would take several (read 20/30) attempts to get a ride to upload but recently you can forget it, it just says synced on the garmin connect screen on my phone but 'upload failed' on the device and no ride appears.

Uploading through the cable and the computer is fine but it's a pia and that was one of the reasons I went for the 810 in the first place.

My second problem is getting live weather updates, looking on dc rainmaker I should be able to toggle this on in the app but I don't have the option....

Any ideas what's going on, does anyone else have these problems? Does anyone else get their device to sync flawlessly?

I'm in the uk running a iPhone 6 if that info is necessary

mullarted

by mullarted

It's the same for all of us. I've never actually got weather to work and frankly it's the least of my problems. When I have sync issues I try the following:

Force close the Garmin app on your phone (double click and swipe up) then relaunch the app. This re-triggers the sync.

Failing that turn your phone and Garmin off and back on and try again.

Failing that delete the Garmin as a paired Bluetooth item via the settings menu on your phone. Delete the paired smartphone from your Garmin. Restart both devices, re-pair them and try again.

Failing that browse through your rides on the Garmin and delete anything that you are sure that you have previously synced. Then try the sync again. The less there is to sync the better it seems to behave. I now delete all rides on the Garmin after a successful sync.

Failing that start again from the top of this list.

Should you manage to find a state where you are syncing consistently then never upgrade your app or your Garmin again.
Because of this I will be buying one of the new Wahoo bike computers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffy

by jeffy

i recently had a return to the "upload failed" issue, but this time it was worse ....

for the last few months i had been have to manually (though still over bluetooth) upload.
So: with Auto-Upload switched "off" in the iOS App -> Device -> Settings

Finish Ride. Press "Pause/Stop" on 810
    Save Ride
    Once returned to home screen - press folder icon (bottom left)
    Press "Rides"
    Press "Last Ride"
    Once loaded, press the "Upload Icon"
    "Upload Complete!" would appear and bingo all was well - a little more inconvenient than auto-upload but at least bluetooth upload worked

BUT ..... after a few months of doing this - and occassionally checking if auto-upload had been fixed in an iOS or 810 update.
It just stopped working, and I was manually USB uploading, which whilst a #firstworldproblem was pretty annoying.

----------

Fixed it with a Garmin Reset, save all your settings and profiles before doing so (see linked documents below)
i backed up my rides(Activites) and Map(as it happens it didn't do anything to them, but i save everything onto the microSD) ...

How do I master reset my Edge 510/810/1000/Touring/Touring Plus?
https://support.garmin.com/support/sear ... 0000000%7D
How can I backup my personal settings and profiles on my Edge 510, 810, 1000, Touring or Touring Plus?
https://support.garmin.com/support/sear ... es?caseId={87d71a10-4ac5-11e2-e8a7-000000000000}

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

it's kinda par for the course with garmin. I tend to now not update my iPhone OS right away because of garmin issues. Sometimes you just have to start from scratch.. reload the garmin software..forget the device on the phone and start over. It's been awhile since I had to do that but it happened. As for the unload fail, I get that but when I check it's there..so thats all I care about.

The Garmin Reset jeffy listed above is the way to go ...
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

fogman

by fogman

I have had the same exact problems with my Edge 810 syncing to my iPhone 5s since updating to Garmin Connect Mobile Version 2.13.1. Before that it was working flawlessly. They are up to Version 2.13.3 and still have not fixed the Bluetooth sync failures. I have to upload my rides using Garmin Express with a USB cable until Garmin gets this figured out.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Wonderman

by Wonderman

Iv had this with a iPhone 5 and 5s and now a 6! All I can say is I'm very disappointed, this one the main reason for me getting a 810

spookyload

by spookyload

They just released a new firmware for the 810. I was having the same issue, the new firmware fixed it perfectly.

fogman

by fogman

I just checked on Garmin Express. No new software available for my Edge 810. Says I am up to date. I am running version 4.20 which has been available since August 25, 2015.

Wonderman

by Wonderman

^ what he said, I did the same and it says I'm up to date, and iv still got the issue :(

fogman

by fogman

For some reason my last 2 rides did upload, no problems. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Try updating iPhone to iOS 9.0 then toggle the auto upload button (in the Garmin Connect Mobile App) off then back on. That's what worked for me.

bomber

by bomber

On avg I will lose connectivity 4-5 times on a two hour ride and the auto upload always fails. That and my Garmin 810 has become super unstable since the new update with the strava segments.

Its very close to going in the bin.
Carb loading since the 90's

My ex ride
My old rides

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com