Brussels (Ixelles) Weenies

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

gerryc89

by gerryc89

Hi all,

Ive just moved to Ixelles in Brussels

Can anyone suggest some rides? Im not sure I know how to use Strava to find common bike routes as I havent been able to find anything

I went out this afternoon and spent way too much time on busy main roads! It wasnt very pleasant at all

Any pointers, links or even a general direction to head for out of the city would be much appreciated

Cheers

Gerry

Delorre

by Delorre

See my strava midweek rides. I live 15 km from were you are https://www.strava.com/athletes/3544114 From beersel you are good to go

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fiery

by Fiery

Brussels Big Brackets club meets at the kiosk in Bois de la Cambre park Sunday mornings at 9. You can find some routes on their website, Strava, or Facebook.

You can also use Fietsnet to plan some routes, but make sure to check the route on Google Maps or similar beforehand because some routes include unpaved sections and/or cobbles (I've yet to encounter anything that cannot be ridden on a road bike, but it's not always fun).

There are also some routes here.

In general, just get out of the Brussels Capital region and there are many nice small roads to take. The closest and simplest is probably to the west, where you have the Brussels-Charleroi canal with a good path along it, and there are numerous good small roads in Pajottenland further west across the canal.

gerryc89

by gerryc89

Thank you Delorre and Fiery.

On Saturday I took your advice and headed out west. I accidentally ended up around Dworp and had my first experience of a cobbled climb! I had an excellent day and enjoyed the canal route back home.

Unfortunately the cobbles had a surprise for me. I have cracked my frame at the seat tube/top tube junction. Very unfortunate. Any advice on the second hand frame markets in Belgium?!

I hope you dont mind me following you on Strave Delorre. It would be good to get an idea of good routes. I will also try and meet the Big Brackets club in a few weeks when I have some miles in my legs (and a new frame).

Fiery

by Fiery

Whoa, that was unlucky. How did it happen?

For used bikes try Troc-Velo or Bxhell Bike Selling. The first one is probably the biggest website for used bikes in the region, while the second one is Facebook group and you need to join it to see postings, though I rarely see modern bikes there.

Delorre

by Delorre

If you want a huge amount of secound hand bikes, try http://www.2dehands.be/fietsen/

Ghastly

by Ghastly

Lost of used bikes at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1382071755381543/. Facebookgroup

Indeed when you steer away from centrum Brussels and go west past Dworp, Halle, you get lots of nice roads in the Pajottenland. Muur of Geraardsbergen isn't to far away...

My strava-profile if needed: https://www.strava.com/athletes/410384

gerryc89

by gerryc89

Thanks Fiery, Delorre and Ghastly for the links. It looks like there is lots of availability - I hope I will be able to find a new frame soon.

I am not sure how it occurred. I had noticed a small crack in what I thought was the paint. It would seem it wasn't the paint. After my ride on Saturday over the cobbles it had spread and was close to a full fracture.

I look forward to heading out as far as Geraardsbergen very soon. This is very frustrating, off the road as soon as I get here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gerryc89

by gerryc89

Would anyone know of an aluminium welder in the region?

The damage is at the top tube to seat tube junction.

After doing some research it seems it may be reparable

Many thanks