Winter Training Camp Destinations in Europe

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

campbellrae

by campbellrae

I'm looking to get away for a week or so in February with a few friends for a weeks riding in the mountains & hopefully some decent weather. I went to Benahavis on the Costa Del Sol last year, and the riding was good, but I'm wondering if there might be better options.

Calpe & Majorca seem popular judging from the photos in the On The Road Today thread, any others? We're looking for some good climbs and good weather. Ideally there would also be a nice, quiet, flat route for recovery days. This was the main thing missing from Benahavis, the only flat roads were into the big resorts which were pretty crap to ride.

I think the Canaries might be too long a flight. And it's probably too cold at that time of year for Nice & Girona.

Cheers,

Campbell.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scotty

by scotty

I was in Gran Canaria a few years ago in February, well worth it.
The flight is about 4hrs... the temp was 27 degrees on the coast mid-afternoon, very nice.

Got to see Fabian Cancellara there too...actually quite a few pro's spend time there.
It's nicer than Lanzarote too..

sawyer

by sawyer

If you haven't been to Majorca then you should go - great place for riding.

Only genuinely warm place in Europe at that time of year is the Canaries however
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Exar

by Exar

Gran Canaria has great climbs, great weather, cheap accomodation... Well worth the two hours of extra flying time. Flat roads for recovery rides are a bit harder to find (GC 500 from Maspalomas to Vecindario and the valley road to Soria GC 505 are pretty much your only options).
Chains to the right!