Bib shorts for tall guys? Need longer shoulder straps.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

RedRacer

by RedRacer

I am 187cm / 78kg and have a difficult time finding high-quality bib shorts that are tight fitting around the legs but also offer long enough shoulder straps that don't cut into my shoulders after two hours on the bike. Issue number two is that I prefer longer length legs. Rapha Pro Team offers a longer version but I find many other shots look and feel too short for my legs.

So far the best are Assos T.CENTO size XLG but I still wish the lowers were more compressive and the shoulder straps were longer/looser, plus I don't love the new pink floating chamois; the older green one worked better for me.

Rapha Pro Team bibs size L - perfect down low but far too uncomfortable over the shoulders.

Castelli Body Paint 2.0 size XL - very good down low but still too tight over the shoulders. Uncomfortable after 90mins. Short legs.

Are there any top-end bib shorts with great pads that are known for having longer straps better suited to tall riders? At this stage comfort is far more important that cost so I am open to all options.

I am considering the Giordana FR-C or Sportful Total Comfort. Thoughts?
Last edited by RedRacer on Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

netromsa

by netromsa

I'm the same height as you but 4 kg lighter. The gore bike wear xenon bib in size m works really well for me, maybe you could try gore?

Cleaner

by Cleaner

If you purchase directly from Desoto Sports they may customize for you. I know they have adjusted the straps for customers in the past. The 400 mile bib shorts are high quality in materials and workmanship. Pay attention to their sizing or just call them and tell them what you need. They do the sewing in house so they can make changes and repairs. I have had repairs to bibs done free of charge, I just have to pay to ship them back.

https://www.desotosport.com/index.php

rideintospace

by rideintospace

I am 193cm / 84kg and my favorite bibs are my assos T.equipe size M. I have been fitted for hiking backpacks before (which come in different sizes depending on torso length) and I have a regular length torso (not long, weirdly) I'm not sure how loose you like your shoulder straps to be. I guess the size M might be a little tight on the shoulders but they offer great compression on the legs. I typically do around 3-4 rides each week, totaling 10-16 hours on the bike and have not had problems with straps cutting into my shoulders.

CBJ

by CBJ

Why not just buy the bibs that fit down low and then just have a good tailor make them longer in the straps?

russianbear

by russianbear

If you liked the S5 series chamois, you can still get them at a pretty good discount at assosoutlet.com

5DII

by 5DII

m the same height but weigh a bit less. The Rapha classic bib has longer/more comfortable straps (I also wear the pro team one and it is a bit tighter like you mention). Pearl izumi pro large also has comfortable straps, but a bit thinner chamois

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

CBJ wrote:Why not just buy the bibs that fit down low and then just have a good tailor make them longer in the straps?

:exactly: this...

Why compromise? Especially on the pad that feels right to you. Focus on seating comfort, pick the brand/pad that works and then find a competent tailor who can sew in a simple extension using straps from a retired set of bibs and flexible thread. Simples.

NilesCrane

by NilesCrane

The pro team bib-straps are a tad bit short for me aswell, although not really uncomfortable.

But La Passione is a brand I recently discovered and their bibs are superb. Alot cheaper aswell, and a bit longer in the legs. Gutted I just missed out on the black bibs during their ongoing sale.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

I am 183cm and 60something kg. That's why, bibs that stays on my legs are mostly too short for me. So we have similar problems.

I have POC, Rapha, Nalini and some other small brands bib shorts. The best one fits me are Santini Tempo ones. I have size M, and there is plenty of shoulder strap left. I guess size L will fit you quite well.

simnorm

by simnorm

I'm 6'5 210lbs. My hincapie Bib size L has the longest straps of all my other bibs which are all one or two sizes up from L

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

RedRacer

by RedRacer

Juanmoretime wrote:I'm 183cm tall and 72 kg and a size large in most bibs fit fine including the legs. I do have a 87 cm inseam so all leg and short torso.

I am 4cm taller and 6-7 kg heavier so the shoulder straps have more area to go over :lol:

I am still hoping for more suggestion. Maybe some of the stylish Aussie brands like Maap, Black Sheep, etc?

basilic

by basilic

Assos will lengthen the straps as much as you want, free of charge

RedRacer

by RedRacer

basilic wrote:Assos will lengthen the straps as much as you want, free of charge

Really? How do I get this special service? I buy Assos from my LBS but I assume this program is factory direct? Size L with extended straps would be perfect....maybe custom +40mm leg length too 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LionelB

by LionelB

Just send it to after sales service. It could take a while but I had this done.