Discs or no discs for pros

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

micky

by micky

I'd like to see someone like Dan Martin using them and see how his races vs crashes ratio improves.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

micky wrote:I'd like to see someone like Dan Martin using them and see how his races vs crashes ratio improves.

That dude needs to be on discs and 28mm, low pressure tires. Tubeless, if need be.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bomber

by bomber

Nothing we wouldn't have expected http://youtu.be/uHFSSXOSnxs
Carb loading since the 90's

My ex ride
My old rides

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

A great piece but they blew it. They needed to run the same test again but switch bikes. The dude riding the disc equipped bike has much better technique - he drives his body back down more quickly and more completely. Even as tested I thought there would be more of a difference.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Mr.Gib wrote:A great piece but they blew it. They needed to run the same test again but switch bikes. The dude riding the disc equipped bike has much better technique - he drives his body back down more quickly and more completely. Even as tested I thought there would be more of a difference.

Invalid Test. Can't trust the power on their fingers....but I do trust in DATA. Loads cells...controlled environment....then I'll turn my attention to it.

hjb1000

by hjb1000

I've always wanted to try out hydro rim brakes- you know a bit of a compromise between rim and disc?

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Does this mean rim brakes such as EE's will start going down in price? ;)

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

You guys want to know the most powerful rim brakes to date? Check this out!

I modified these Diacompe NGC 400 on my wife's bike with a 2:1 pulley system;

...then I like it so much that I've modified the DA calipers on my Triatlhon bike

I have load cell DATA to prove that they are 2x stronger then standard 1:1 pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

That is an pretty wild mod. Amazing indeed but perhaps you have too much time on your hands :P . And why the rear brake (I think that's the rear) in the TT rig?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Tqubed

by Tqubed

I'll stick with my EE Brakes. I would probably get disc brakes on a gravel bike or daily commuter bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Mr.Gib wrote:That is an pretty wild mod. Amazing indeed but perhaps you have too much time on your hands :P . And why the rear brake (I think that's the rear) in the TT rig?

With passion for something...we always make time. I've added the pulley on all my brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by andreszucs on Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fiery

by Fiery

Mr.Gib wrote:
Fiery wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:
Fiery wrote:Let me rephrase that: Mr. Gib, are you actually capable of locking up the front wheel and making it slide while riding in a straight line on dry pavement? Alternatively, are you capable of consistently braking so hard that the only way to avoid endoing is by decreasing the braking force?

The simple answer is yes.

What's the modulation like when being at that limit?

Seems good to me - never stacked it. As you get to that limit you are slowing down quite a bit, the front end is heavily loaded, giving good front wheel traction, so even though you are already squeezing hard, it takes significant additional force to decelerate ever further. These big differences in hand effort, while taxing the sense of feel in the hand, seem to allow for more "fine tuning". The severe downward force also results in really good feedback about what your front tire is up to grip wise.

I think it is a great exercise to find a 10 or 15 percent grade, get the bike up to 50 km/h and practice how fast you can stop. Seen too many good riders with not the slightest clue of how to use their brakes. I live at the top of a 18% grade. I do this at the beginning of every ride. (My cool down at the end of the ride sucks though :D )

My experience is quite different: I don't remember ever being in a situation where I felt I would lose the front wheel or flip over it if I squeezed any harder while braking hard on dry pavement (weight as far to the back and as low as possible, of course). I also find the modulation to be quite bad when near the limit. It is hard to brake harder, but it is also hard to ease off just a little, which results in jerky braking. For the record, I have been using caliper rim brakes most of my life and I don't really have any experience with hydraulic disc brakes - and while modern rim brakes are indeed very good, I'd love more power and modulation.
Last edited by Fiery on Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

^^ This is where discs shine, being able to feather the edge of braking.
Using Tapatalk

shlammed

by shlammed

Nefarious86 wrote:^^ This is where discs shine, being able to feather the edge of braking.

For those of you who haven't, you need to try hydraulic discs.

Cable actuated discs are common in bike shops and if they are adjusted tight like some of you like your caliper brakes it will feel awful.

Hydros will feel "mushy" compared to a cable, but its great once you are used to it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

seaneT1

by seaneT1

After a very ugly experience on a descent that I first went down today, I now really want a disc brake equipped road bike....So if anybody asks me if disc brakes should become legal on UCI road races,my final answer would be "Yes please!"