Discs or no discs for pros

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

OJ

by OJ

Haven't tried that one. Will it burn instantly?

The need for disc brakes appears to be similar to need to have >200 hp or even >300 hp family vehicles, or else road trips will be a struggle if not impossible. Or you need to have at least a 1/2 ton pick-up if you want to tow anything bigger than empty garden trailer. Need to have huge capacity on tap.
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

efeballi

by efeballi

eliflap-scalpel wrote:ok for the heat of a rotor ... but try to stop from 50 km/h to 0 with a carbon rim with rim brakes and touch the rim surface ...

Tried it at traffic lights at the end of a 70 kph descent. Braked on the rear wheel only, and it was quite hot, but touchable. 50-60 *C, I'd say.
Had the same stop on my disc braked commuter and the discs boiled the water I squirted on from the water bottle.
The rim has a larger weight and surface area which helps it stay cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

micky

by micky

If I understood correctly, Irizar (Trek) is supposed to be on disc for the whole Vuelta but yesterday he was on normal brakes.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

funniest thing is: today in a brief interview before the stage he claimed discs are absolutely brilliant :D
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

micky

by micky

He said that also after a stage 2-3 days ago on Rtve after a stage, by saying that they are testing a few options with Trek.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

I wonder if it's like with Spec's Vais that some guys like Sagan are clearly "strongly encouraged" to use - at least during certain stages. there are some cases of amazingly positive attitude towards discs, esp in social media, compared to how rarely they appear in races.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Fiery

by Fiery

Mr.Gib wrote:Interesting - it sounds to me like this is an issue with brake caliper, brake pad, and/or rim. I have ridden bikes that gave me the feeling you describe about not being able to increase braking any further, but it was always due to inferior equipment/set up. The very fact that you are in on this thread suggests that you probably have decent brakes so :noidea: Even with my body all the way back and low, I can still get the rear end to hop a bit. Granted this has only been on steep down slopes so that is a factor.

As for the difficulty in easing off, this comes from the way the human hand works. Great at gripping but poor at opening with power and control. It's a challenge but doable.

To keep this on topic - for many riders a lot of these issue will be addressed by discs. The pros when they are racing? I don't see much of an advantage in any situations.

Utegra calipers, Swissstop green pads, Open Pro rims with a couple thousand kilometers on them. At this point, I think trying to improve rim brakes further is approaching diminishing returns, while disc brakes seem to solve these issues with room to spare.

Regarding the pros, I don't really care one way or the other, except that wider use in their ranks should result in more improvements and lower prices quicker for the rest of us.

micky

by micky

Most of the guys in here won't care as you, but it's a fact that the market for road bike/components is made with what the pro's use.
I've plenty of friends who, when chatting, would start by saying "did you that X is using that?".