Discs or no discs for pros

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Rob81

by Rob81

Alex & Greg are not enthusiastic about discs
https://twitter.com/alexdowsett/status/ ... 3558750208

53x12

by 53x12

Still don't understand that move towards disc brakes on bikes. I don't see it as pros asking for it, demanding it as they feel their current brakes are in adequate and unsafe. Rather, it is manufacturers trying to push this as something new so people will 'upgrade' to a brand new road bike that has disc brakes.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

Just because pros ride a lot does not mean they're necessarily experts on a particular piece of equipment. The market is going there whether they or we like it or not.

Lets not keep rehashing this argument here.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

53x12

by 53x12

Then don't comment on it if you don't want to discuss it. We aren't going to discuss only what you want to discuss and not discuss what you don't want to discuss.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Don't disc brakes pretty much negate the whole 'aero!' movement?
And weight. :evil:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

^Yes, they do. Or vice versa. They certainly don't co-exist very well and still allow the advocates of either to be completely happy. Pick one. Or none.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Disc rotor vs. chainring, spokes. Laughable. Size, sharpness (chainring), velocity (spokes) are all greater.

Sorry, but this is some seriously ignorant shit. But, these guys get paid to ride bikes, not their critical thinking ability.

deek

by deek

Has anyone used disc brakes in a UCI race yet? I thought they were legal to try in 2 races starting in August.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

deek wrote:Has anyone used disc brakes in a UCI race yet? I thought they were legal to try in 2 races starting in August.

Yes, mountain (and its variations) and cyclocross, for a few years now. UCI applies to many forms of bicycle racing, not just road.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

boysa

by boysa

53x12 wrote:Rather, it is manufacturers trying to push this as something new so people will 'upgrade' to a brand new road bike that has disc brakes.

You hit the nail on the head with this one. All we can do, at least those of us who see the change as unnecessary, is keep our wallets in our pockets.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

KWalker wrote:Just because pros ride a lot does not mean they're necessarily experts on a particular piece of equipment.

most of them probably can't tell a sprocket from a spoke :roll:

no discs in TdP, as far as I could tell. I've spoken to a mechanic from CCC and he said basically it's the last thing they think about, although from his perspective it's a crazy idea to switch to discs especially given small tolerances of caliper/rotor combo. would make changing wheels harder and if wheel goes out of true even slightly you can't deal with it without stopping.

but than again, just because they maintain and service tons of bikes per year does not mean they're necessarily experts on a particular piece of equipment, right?
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

KWalker

by KWalker

Some pros are super knowledgeable, others probably wouldn't know which bike was theirs unless their name sticker was on it. Its like me asking our software engineers at work what their opinions are on a specific tablet or laptop.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

martinko

by martinko

tymon_tm, it's difference between pro rider vs pro mechanic ;)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

tymon_tm wrote:...no discs in TdP, as far as I could tell. I've spoken to a mechanic from CCC and he said basically it's the last thing they think about, although from his perspective it's a crazy idea to switch to discs especially given small tolerances of caliper/rotor combo. would make changing wheels harder and if wheel goes out of true even slightly you can't deal with it without stopping.

Yes, this^. I expect we'll see some mighty long wheel changes here and there, or just a complete bike change in the event of a simple puncture on bikes with disc brakes.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

jooo

by jooo

Yet XC racers can get a wheel change on a disc brake bike with a bolt on thru-axle in about the same time as many road stops. Go figure

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com