Quality road bike rental in NYC?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

dmp

by dmp

I'm going to be in NY for next week and am thinking it will be more trouble than not to bring my bike if I am able to rent one in the city. Any suggestions for places that might rent a good quality road bike? I'll be staying on the Upper West Side.

chocy

by chocy

I hope this is not too late.
I am not 100% sure if there are any rentals for high end bikes in Manhattan, but you can do that just across George Washington Bridge at Strictly Bicycle. Majority of the serious rides in NYC begins from there so it might work out OK. Here is the link.

http://www.strictlybicycles.com/dailyrentals

Nelson, the owner of SB is a great guy and the whole shop really knows how to work with high end bikes and their customers.

PS, I do know them personally but I am in no way affiliated with them.
------------------------------------------------
My Colnago EPS http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=83064&start=45

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djbowen99

by djbowen99

The shop is great but unfortunately in my experience they stopped caring about the people that aren't dropping 10k on bikes. I also do not think they rent bikes at all, once and a while there are demo days there from specialized etc.

The bike rental business in NYC is pretty much for tourists riding crappy old mtn bikes, your best bet would be a craigslist ad.

dmp

by dmp

Thanks for the replies.
I ended up not bringing any cycling gear and have been running in the park instead. However, while walking down W72nd I saw a bike shop (Master Bike) and stopped in to ask, and it turns out they do have some quality road bikes to rent. It's pricy ($80-100/day) and they need a day advanced notice, but they have some Specialized, Bianchi, Felt bikes for rent.