Live strava segmetns on Garmin - change view?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

VTBike

by VTBike

I was excited to enable the live strava segment feature on my garmin 1000. After using it for the better part of a ride though, I got completely sick of it. The screen view during the live segment is awful! It's great to be able to see how much further the segment is distance wise, and how ahead/behind you are - that's the key metrics - but the fact that you lose any sort of tracking on your current performance is terrible (speed, heart rate, cadence, etc..). It's OK for segments that last like 30 seconds or a minute, and you're all out anyway - but I do a number of segments that are 5 or 10 minutes, or longer.

I'd love to lose the map on the segment screen (which is completely useless, btw), and display the segment relevant info, as well a my current performance info. Is there any way to do this?

airwise

by airwise

Strava's potentially a great way to ruin a thoroughly enjoyable passtime.

What will riders do when they get home now? No surprises to look forward to when pawing over the data for hours on end?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VTBike

by VTBike

You know, that is true - regarding the looking forward to checking the data at end of ride. I do have to say though that even with the segment tracking live, i still enjoyed looking after the ride to see exactly how I did. It was really most fun on the super short efforts where the challenge is more mental than physical - keeping your effort at 100% for just a few more seconds!

53x12

by 53x12

airwise wrote:Strava's potentially a great way to ruin a thoroughly enjoyable passtime.

What will riders do when they get home now? No surprises to look forward to when pawing over the data for hours on end?

Why are those two things mutually exclusive?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

So they have released the firmware for the 1000 already ? I get no update pending when I check. Are you sure you are not looking at garmin segments
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

superdx

by superdx

It was out as of last week. I don't have Strava premium so can't really try it out, but dcrainmaker didn't seem to have a huge problem with it?

tinozee

by tinozee

Is there a way to still see your watts and speed but with a beep at the start and end of a seg? Live indicator for start and end points is the part that interest me.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

cool.. just enabled on my strava acct... too bad I didn't do it yesterday.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

goodboyr

by goodboyr

tinozee wrote:Is there a way to still see your watts and speed but with a beep at the start and end of a seg? Live indicator for start and end points is the part that interest me.

Yup. When the segment starts just swipe to change screens back to what you want. It will still beep at end of segment. Those with the D-fly and Dura Ace shifters can do that from the hidden buttons on the tops of the shifters.

VTBike

by VTBike

Interesting.. That may be a temporary fix. Still, I'd like to be able to leave Garmin feedback somewhere that the map of the segment is useless (to me!), especially in place of current speed, HR, Cadence, etc..

@spdntrxi, yes - strava segments are now part of the update. You have to use garmin connect via computer to enable.

jeffy

by jeffy

you would have thought that (like the map/nav view) there would be the ability to select units to display within starve segment view.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ricey155

by ricey155

It's OK but map and the standard 2 custom panels isn't enough I'd like at least 3 maybe 4 distance, time ahead (hopefully) power and cadence - distance could be small top left - design isn't great but function is getting better !

Does it allow for personal best or set goal on a segment ? Slider bar had my friends times Sunday when I tried it ?

Sent from my MI PAD using Tapatalk