Strava just stopped using Google Maps

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Hey guys, let's stop suggesting alternative sites for route planning. Ahillock has made it clear that this thread is entirely to mope about Strava's choices as a business and not, in any way, be helpful to one another in offering experiences with other route planning solutions.
:roll:

So here's a thread for people who actually like to move on and adapt to change, everyone welcome:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=134111
Last edited by prendrefeu on Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

53x12

by 53x12

chiumomo wrote:Strava went away from Google because they want to open the market in China? China government is blocking Google so strava has to find an alternative map.

I'm not sure if that is a secondary issue. However, as with most things, I think it comes down to $$$.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/20/techn ... d=all&_r=0

With how large Strava has become, it was only a matter of time until Google would put the squeeze on.

prendrefeu wrote:Hey guys, let's stop suggesting alternative sites for route planning. Ahillock has made it clear that this thread is entirely to mope about Strava's choices as a business and not, in any way, be helpful to one another in offering experiences with other route planning solutions. Thanks.

prendrefeu, why don't you knock it off. No need to derail threads with this side banter. If you want to have a thread to discuss personal experiences with route planning solutions, start a thread for that. As this obviously isn't a thread meant for route planning discussion or reviews. If you read the thread title or the first post, you will clearly see what the OP meant this thread to be about. Strava discontinuing their use of Google Maps.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

53x12 wrote:prendrefeu, why don't you knock it off. No need to derail threads with this side banter. If you want to have a thread to discuss personal experiences with route planning solutions, start a thread for that. As this obviously isn't a thread meant for route planning discussion or reviews. If you read the thread title or the first post, you will clearly see what the OP meant this thread to be about. Strava discontinuing their use of Google Maps.

Already done, see above.

And also, I'm not the only person who saw this thread as an opportunity to be helpful to others in finding a solution for their route planning needs. Some people actually like finding solutions and being helpful. Sorry man!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

53x12

by 53x12

prendrefeu wrote:Already done, see above.

It wasn't done when I posted my statement, but rather 13 minutes after I raised that point.

I think it is good you started that thread as some members will find that information useful and interesting. But there is zero need to take this thread off topic discussing other services when the OP specifically started this thread in relation to Strava. Seemed clear to me. :noidea:
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

wojchiech

by wojchiech

For map viewing (non-satellite /street imaging), the standard view in OSM is not as good as Google. But OSM's cycle map mode has been my favorite online map reference for a while now. Larger roads are easily distinguishable, smaller roads are better mapped and more accurate than Google, trails and property lines are easy to see, contour lines and landmarks like mountain peaks are visible, as well as points of interest (restrooms/water). Of course Strava doesn't have OSM's Cycle mode as an available map viewing option...

I'm with prend on ride planning at least. I usually have OSM in cycle mode open in one tab as reference and RidewithGPS to do the actual route planning. Strava's own route planning features are too sluggish and simplistic for longer more complicated routes, at least for me.