Best Winter Jacket and base layers

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

baldeagle

by baldeagle

Looking a new winter jacket and base layers for those cold 0-10degrees days.

I want sort of an all rounder type jacket - waterproof/windproof, windproof and warm.

Baselayers - Obviously something warm but will also wick away the sweat.

I have seen a few places doing Gabbas for £115 compared to the usual £185 but have been told that a Gabba isn't for temperatures as cold as that.

I'm a bit of an Assos fan and have a few of their shorts, Jersey, arm warmers etc. But they have that many winter jacket options I'm not really sure of what to go for.

Any recommendations?

chalkie

by chalkie

Assos Early Winter base layer plus Castelli Espresso Due. Perfect combination for me down to 0 degrees.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djm

by djm

I realize that my advice might be useless for most as I tend to produce crazy amounts of heat, however I wear my long sleeve Castelli Gabba with layers (up to three, sometimes four) underneath down to temperatures well below freezing. It is a very versatile jacket.

If I am doing intervals I pair my short sleeve Gabba with two or three layers with zippers. Ventilation on the way up and protection descending.

arthurf

by arthurf

+1 for the Castelli Espresso Due jacket, lovely and warm. I use the Icebreaker merino base layers (200 or 260 weight) which are toasty and I get cold easily

HillRPete

by HillRPete

djm wrote:I realize that my advice might be useless for most as I tend to produce crazy amounts of heat, however I wear my long sleeve Castelli Gabba with layers (up to three, sometimes four) underneath down to temperatures well below freezing. It is a very versatile jacket.

I do probably not produce more heat than average, but this is exactly what I do as well. My Gabba LS is size L, usually Castelli tops in M fit me very snugly, so there is some room for layering.

That said, I would love to own one of those new Castelli Mortirolo jackets. The chest vents on Castelli tops work incredibly well.

djm

by djm

I think layering with a thin jacket is a lot better than one thick jacket. It makes fine tuning much easier.

benzebub

by benzebub

a bit off-topic, but where did you see the gabba for 115£ ?
But I could be wrong

baldeagle

by baldeagle

Swim Cycle Run and Sigma both have them for around that price at the minute. Short sleeve is about £95 I think

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

benzebub

by benzebub

cheers!
But I could be wrong