Richmond 2015 - bike shops, things to do, places to eat

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Mapei down under

by Mapei down under

OK, thought I'd start a thread for everyone who is going to the World Championships in Richmond this September.

It might be useful to anyone going if local weenies can help us all out with the best bike shops (After all who doesn't like visiting new shops!), as well as other things to see and do in the area to entertain family members less enthralled with the racing.

Recommendations for great places to eat would be great to save us all going by the (sometimes) vague reviews on Urban Spoon and the like.
"I love a sunburnt country, its sweeping hills and plains. Where the red earth meets the blue sky and it never bloody rains".
Doc Neeson - The Angels (Skin and Bone).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

Subscribing to this thread, as I plan to be there. We should also arrange a WW ride.

Herb5998

by Herb5998

The black sheep is a great restaurant. Lots of great museums. I'll be there as well, but not sure if I'll have a bike with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I'll be there with some friends. Taking a bike to ride around on. I'm sure there will be some great rides to partake in.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

So much good riding in the area. Plenty of historic places as well. If you are a history nut like me, check out the various battlefields from the American Civil War.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Richmond is actually my home down and I'm decamping the whole family back from Switzerland to see my mother and attend the events, should be a blast! I'll be bringing the bike so up for a ww ride at some point but with so many family commitments, timing might be tough. It looks kinda lame (and expensive) but the night cobbled ride on Friday looks like a good option?
http://richmond2015.com/2015/01/27/rich ... e-cobbles/

edit- as for bike shops, I hear Carrytown Cycles is pretty good
http://www.carytownbikes.com/

Mapei down under

by Mapei down under

Carrytown looks pretty good, will have to try and make a visit! Has anyone else seen the price of the VIP tickets for the last weekend? At $475 per person for each day, you'd have to have pretty deep pockets to justify that sort of cost!
"I love a sunburnt country, its sweeping hills and plains. Where the red earth meets the blue sky and it never bloody rains".

Herb5998

by Herb5998

Pretty crazy price for what it is. When I was in Quebec and Montreal for the WT events, I think the cost was similar, though I found walking around during the circuit was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Yeah, I wonder how much of Libby Hill they're going to snag for themselves and charge a bundle as that'll be one of the best places to watch. However, I think 23rd street climb just after but not cobbled will be where the separations and attacks will really occur.

I'll be there w/ a 3 year old and a 1 year old in a backpack so mobility will be a bit challenging! Well, mobility will happen but it'll be more me chasing the 3 year old...

Mapei down under

by Mapei down under

I looked at the Friday night "world championships" and thought better of a ride that is 1. Run in the dark and 2. Will have every adrenaline and testosterone junkie out there trying to be the first to smash it over every hill and through every corner despite not being able to properly see where they are going. Having it in the afternoon at 5pm or something so at least people could enjoy it in daylight would make a lot more sense to me. Anyway, I'm likely to only be bringing a hybrid or mountain bike with me as it'll be easier to ride at slow speeds in crowds, jump up and down curbs etc.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

My experiences at the last 4 UCI World Championships I attended is that the UCI-endorsed "VIP experience" is a waste of money. We had a lot more fun simply wandering around the circuits and mingling with the crowds. You'll be amazed at the wonderful people you meet from all over the world.

wkwt

by wkwt

Does anyone know if the course is rideable at other times during the weekend eg very early? Otherwise I hear what everyone is saying about the official Friday night ride, but a big group riding together (who knows how to ride together) should be safe enough. It will be a special backdrop for sure.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I can put together a route in Ashland a bit north of the city that has really nice rolling countryside. Maybe up to Lake Anna and loop around for about 100km? That'd probably be a lot more fun in the end, was just throwing out the cobble thing cause it was there. I have a feeling they're not going to let everyone go hell for leather out there anyways, too much liability. They'd probably put a lead car at 30 kph and not allow anyone to pass.

glepore

by glepore

I'll be in Charlottesville for the week. Planning to do some Blue ridge riding-Reed's Gap, Wintergreen etc.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

I am in DC and considering getting myself down to Richmond at the very least for the final road racing weekend. Should we begin to plan a weenie event of some sort?
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com