Snug fitting light vest? Suggestions wanted.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Markmoddy

by Markmoddy

Some good options above.

Do you wear something over the vest or as I expect (re the pockets) wear it on its own as a sleeveless jesey?

I wear a windproof fronted vest from... Gulp... Aldi...

But as you say it's an undergarment and apart from taking it off you cannot do much with it on to cool off... Hence your unzipping when hot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djm

by djm

I wear a sleeveless baselayer, regular jersey with three pockets and the vest (also with pockets) over. I also hardly ever ride without armwarmers (Norway). Being able to unzip the vest and jersey is necessary. Both to adjust for weather and intensity.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Definitely check out Panache Cyclewear's vest. I like mine a lot.

http://shop.panachecyclewear.com/shop/g ... wind-vest/

I think it fits your criteria pretty well: snug fit with a mesh back (not really elasticity though) and three pockets.

joestralia

by joestralia

Louis Garneau Course wind vest. Very interesting piece of kit. The whole lower back has been cut out so you can reach your jersey pockets. It's deceivingly light, and never ever flaps in the wind.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Castelli Velocissimo Vest is probably a good choice for you. I got mine in a size L which is a bit too big for me, looks like the one in this link http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ch/e ... prod117782 I'm 180cm, 75 kgs. I'd do a v good price on it if you want.

djm

by djm

I'm 190 and just 2 kgs heavier than you.. and prefer my cycling gear skin tight! ;-) Guessing it would be too big for me too.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Not to be pushy ;-) but the problem for me is extra material over the tops of the shoulders (it's a bit too tall), not around the body where it's tight but there's tons of good options in here :)

djm

by djm

And I have long legs and a relatively short torso.. I have this shoulder-flapping-issue with several vests..

djm

by djm

Wound up with an Assos IG Farben, ehh, iG.falkenZahn vest in medium and it fits just perfect. No flapping either. Remains to be seen if it is too warm, but in today's wet ride at 14 degrees it was nice.

Pugrot

by Pugrot

To stop flappy jackets just put a strip of duct tape on the inside of the shoulder, can't be seen so not too ghetto and works a treat on my gore

109er

by 109er

I might be super biased but one of my favorite garments this year was the Louis Garneau Speedzone vest. I love the thing. I can wear the same size as my jersey. Usually I order a size or two smaller in vests so they don't flap around or fit loosely. But this is meant to be worn in races and you can tell. It's snug, isn't too bulky and you can get into the pockets without unzipping or pulling the vest up. It's awesome. I really underestimate how much I would really like it and honestly thought it was super dorky. But in-use it's pretty remarkable how much I like it.

http://www.louisgarneau.com/us-en/product/827718/3828075/Cycling_JacketsVests/COURSE_SPEEDZONE_CYCLING_VEST
green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a sh*t

djm

by djm

Pugrot wrote:To stop flappy jackets just put a strip of duct tape on the inside of the shoulder, can't be seen so not too ghetto and works a treat on my gore

How many wash cycles does duct tape last? I wash my stuff after every ride as my heavy sweating in it self will deteriorate most materials if left unwashed.. let alone the smell which would leave me alone on all rides ;-)

AKASTANA

by AKASTANA

djm wrote:Forgot to mention, russianbear. Sportful/Valcismon has ceased to produce it. I've seen it in stores, but in the wrong sizes. Now even the wrong sizes are gone. I've been looking for another one for about 18 months. In stores and online, nothing to be found.

The Fiandre Light NoRain vest is basically an updated version of this, fit is as good if not better, still breathable with added water resistance on the back...
"You are only limited by fear and even that can be overcome..." Seth Morrison

djm

by djm

"Water resistance" usually means much less breatheability. I will check it out though!

Seems like they are quite different? The Fiandre is made up of about half the amount of panels than the Ultra WS vest.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

itsacarr

by itsacarr

The Search and State s1-V is my current go to favorite vest - it's the same material as their rain jacket so very waterproof and the fit is great.
Just ride ..