Snug fitting light vest? Suggestions wanted.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

djm

by djm

I am looking for a snug fitting wind vest.

I am about to wear out my Sportful Ultra Light WS vest. This is probably the nicest garment I own. Many panels and a very nice fit without any flapping fabric at all. It has a wind stopping front and a lighter, almost mesh back and has three pockets.

What makes the Sportful vest fit so well is largely the fact that almost every panel on it except the front is elastic. That way a small size will fit very well and keeps the entire vest snugly against the body. None of the other vests from Sportful are as well fitting on me as this. I've tried the "Hot pack" and the "Bodyfit" versions.

Is anyone able to suggest a vest that has a similar snug fit with an elastic mesh back and three pockets?

Dismissed so far are; Rapha, La Passione, Sportful, Castelli Fawesome/Gabba, RH+ (too thick and warm)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

russianbear

by russianbear

Why not just buy another one?

djm

by djm

Forgot to mention, russianbear. Sportful/Valcismon has ceased to produce it. I've seen it in stores, but in the wrong sizes. Now even the wrong sizes are gone. I've been looking for another one for about 18 months. In stores and online, nothing to be found.

jdp211

by jdp211

I'm really pleased with the Voler gilet I got as part of a team kit a year or two back. Snug fit, bidirectional zipper, highly packable, and 3 small pockets. I'm not sure whether or not they sell them as non-team kit, but definitely worth looking into

djm

by djm

Thanks, will check it out. Haven't seen much Voler except for in team guise or on their site.

I also have a really nice vest from Nalini, which is part of their team line from a couple of years back, although it doesn't have pockets and I prefer to ride without my team kit mostly.

hilts

by hilts

Any Etxeondo dealers nearby?
A friend with a similar build and height as you has a Etxeondo Sotil that fits him pretty much the same as your Sportful vest did on you, if it was the black vest you where donning on Gran Canaria last winter.

djm

by djm

Hmm.. by the looks of it the back panel of the Sotil is also windproof. With my pony-class heat production, it will be too hot, but it looks nice though! ;-)

DuncanS

by DuncanS

Considered using a windstopper undershirt instead?

djm

by djm

It is an idea, but I much prefer having the added insulation of a windstopper in front, as a first layer there would be one less insulative layer of air behind the windstopper. I also like to be able to open the vest. I usually start out with the vest, build up quite a lot of heat and then open it for ventilation and close it on descents etc.

I produce a lot of heat and I depend on being able to regulate the ventilation.. I can never wear a completely windproof jacket, even in -10 celsius. Within a short time I am completely soaked with sweat.

Bogan

by Bogan

Assos Falkenzahn? I sweat a lot and have started using a Falkenzahn. Possibly the most adaptable piece of kit I have. Possibly too hot for your requirements.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

djm

by djm

Hm.. definitely will try it. It will be a little hard to overcome the gothic print on the back though. Those Germans, eh, Swiss Germans.. :-)

Bogan

by Bogan

djm wrote:Hm.. definitely will try it. It will be a little hard to overcome the gothic print on the back though. Those Germans, eh, Swiss Germans.. :-)

Yep, the Gothic is a bit much :D Maybe listen to some Evanescence!
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

djm

by djm

Let's just be happy it isn't old Norse lettering. I wouldn't combine that with a Rapha jersey at least! ;-)

Hillsaretheenemy

by Hillsaretheenemy

Etxeondo Frisch Windstopper Gilet. love mine Windstopper front full mesh rear with pockets. Fits snug. I wear large castelli and this in large is firm. great fit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

I have some sort of mavic vest I bought in a pinch and it is much snugger then my rapha vests. Pretty decent piece, but actually far too tight to wear on rides more then an hour or two because I can't use my back pockets with it.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."