What music do you like to listen to while riding?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Viktor

by Viktor

If I´m a bit tired I usually listen to some fast music for the first 20-30 min of a ride, just to get me going but after that I´m in the right head place for riding in silence. And the silence can be really great if mother nature delivers.
Only one earpiece though.

On some really long rides I like to listen to some pdcasts or audiobooks. A great audiobook can be an incentive for longer rides :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

taina

by taina

Based on listening for a couple of minutes on YouTube, the Kraftwerk soundtrack sounds like a cycling soundtrack. It reminded me that breaths are discrete. So are heart beats.
Saura mon coeur que mon cul poise.

adapted from Rabelais

sawyer

by sawyer

None

Safety and consideration to other road users
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

It really depends. I believe there are instances, such as riding urban or in areas of frequent vehicular interactions, or riding with others, where a person should not, for their own safety and the safety of others, listen to music whether broadcasted or in-ear.

However not everyone has the same riding experiences, interests, or levels of capability that others do.

I often go on 'medium' length rides (120-170mi) where there isn't much vehicular traffic at all, and a little music does help since I'm out there for hours (and hours... and hours depending on how I'm treating the day). In that case: one ear with music, the other without. If I ride with a friend or two on this, I'll still carry music with me for the inevitable time when we'll be a little distanced between each other but still on the same course, or if I'm doing some massive pull (30-40 minutes) into the wind... so I'll pop one ear bud in so I can still listen to my friends and be available for conversation or whatever, but not lost my whits.

Some people need music more than others...

I carry a playlist that has everything from individual tracks to full on 2-3hr sets, both live and studio. I often add to or cull it. It is currently "4.8days" in length and it is played at random, so I won't get bored or predict it either.

Type varies mostly between Prog House, Tech Step, Psy Breaks, Funky Breaks, Desert Breaks, Desert House, Deep House, Liquid D&B, ... 80's alt/new wave, hip hop (stone's throw variety, non-mainstream stuff)... and a broad range of things scattered in there from artists Explosions In the Sky, Depeche Mode, Ladytron, Chromatics, the Smiths, Crystal Castles, Grimes, Younger Brother, R.E.M., ELO, and Fleetwood Mac.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

nibby

by nibby

been listening to some podcasts during the tour on the commute into work. Sometimes listen to music, mostly not but it's good sometimes depending on mood.

Just because I'm listening to something doesn't mean I'm switched off from everything else around me. That built in life saver check over the shoulder when turning/changing direction, looking into the distance and not 2 ft in front of your wheel, hand signals followed by a life saver, making sure you can stop at junctions/roundabouts when that car driver SHOULD have seen you but just didn't.

All that sort of stuff stays the same if I've got headphones in or I haven't.

Some of the riding I see around me from cyclist's without anything in ear's sometimes scares the s*** out of me.

Road sense is where it's at for me.

liam7020

by liam7020

I like listening to the traffic.....
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I'll also add that lately on my morning short circuits in the local hills I've been playing (one ear only) some late 70's early 80's anarcho-punk and early UK Ska.
The Exploited, Chaos UK, Disorder, The Adicts, Subhumans, Varukers, Vice Squad, Blitz
The Selecters, Madness, the Specials, English Beat

Honestly it's really rider dependent: there are bad riders out there just like there are bad drivers. I would hope that a rider (and vehicular traffic likewise) are conscientious of their physical space, momentum, movement, and the interactions with everything else - both living and otherwise - that we encounter, and offer an attitude of mutuality out there so we can all mutually get to where we want to go without issue.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

KB

by KB

MikeMoore

by MikeMoore

I'm a never while oiutside kinda guy, but on the turbo it's a mix of heavy metal, ska punk, glam rock and classic rock with a bit of grunge.
Weight 74.4kg, FTP 303W => 4.04 W/kg

Retired Bikes
Custom 650B Kingdom Double9
Kinesis Aithein / Kinesis Racelight 4S

Current bikes
Reilly Spectre / Cervelo R3
Pivot Les / Pivot Mach4SL
Ventana El Conquistador

jimborello

by jimborello

Psy trance when doing very hard interval session, indy rock when going for long rides.

djm

by djm

Like Psy from South Korea?

fa63

by fa63

numbers505 wrote:I mostly ride by myself and I enjoy listening to music on rides. I put one ear bud in and leave the other tucked into my jersey. Just put it on shuffle and listen to what ever pops up.

Same for me. Most of my play list is heavy metal or NPR podcasts (Planet Money especially).

xena
Banned

by xena

when I was a cycle courier [back in the day] I had a spell where I would listen to music while working to try and make the day go quicker. You can't really get into what your listening to though as you have to stay alert for outside influences.
I don't listen to music on the road any more. I don't like to ride for more than 2/3 hours mostly punchy rides I get bored on the real flat stuff.
I do the occasional long flat rides 70/100miles with a mate who loves riding that far but I find it a bit boring and that's when I wish I brought me headphones with me.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

bura

by bura

Any new inspirational music here?
Don't worry. Need music while spinning.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

Short hard rides, anything heavy, upbeat or catchy. Long rides need something pacey but interesting. Psytrance/goatrance can be good if not too hard as it can be quirky and changing. That said most of it's samey and pants. Trip hop can be good too. Bit of funk can be nice. Usually I'll download mixes and try them out as they'll be mixed in a way you haven't heard before.

Never had a problem listening to music when running or riding. Weird that some people can't be in control while listing to music as a reasonable volume. Guess some people don't trust themselves, or maybe just have poor coordination and get thrown easily. I can hear traffic and respond to problems and chat to riders I pass by without any issue. Odd to me to hear people come off with trite comments about some perceived danger. Says more about them than anything I'm come to realise.

Only time I don't listen to music is when I'm with someone. Riding's just as fun either way.