NBC Sports TdF live stream problems

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kbbpll

by kbbpll

Anybody else in the US having problems with NBC Sports "live stream" coverage of Le Tour? I haven't watched live yet but all the replays are so jerky they are unwatchable. I'm getting about a frame every 1-2 seconds. We have a 50 mbps internet connection and we've never had these problems with other video like Netflix YouTube etc. I've bought this the past few years to watch the tour and never had this problem until this year. Anybody else seeing this? Thinking about getting a refund...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

It's been fine for me, even over my workplace's slow 10 mbps WiFi. Last two days zero issues.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I did the VPN w/ Eurosports this year... so I can enjoy more races.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Rick

by Rick

No problem here on 20 mbps Centurylink DSL.
:noidea:

Are other people or devices in your household using the internet at the same time ?

kbbpll

by kbbpll

Thanks for the replies. I'm on TDS, formerly Baja Broadband, in rural northern CO, it's over cable line. Internet speed test shows 50 Mbps, no one else using internet this morning. While NBC is streaming, speed test drops to 10-25 Mbps. Video quality as displayed by NBC bounces around from 2.2 Mbits/s all the way down to 200 Kbits/s where you can hardly read what's on screen. Even when quality is high, it still jumps from one frame to the next. I guess I'll see if NBC or tinypass ever respond to my queries. Watching it gives me a headache. Don't have any problems with the Eurosport clips on steephill. Thanks again.

Danza

by Danza

Fine. Occasionally get kicked out and have to restart

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Maybe NBC is taking a circuitous root, using inadequate servers/routers, etc. in order to save a few shekels. If so, fire their ass. It could be that you are suffering from a bad feed but other users have a favorable enough path to have decent performance.
NBC Exec at hypothetical meeting wrote:Like dude, there aren't many customers in rural northern CO, so let's save a few bucks by giving them a low end feed. They'll never notice the difference, and if they do, they're just dumb hicks anyway.

prebsy

by prebsy

I've had issues but never related to internet speed (using the mobile app).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kbbpll

by kbbpll

HammerTime2, that has been my thought but I didn't want to say it. On the positive side, they quickly refunded my $29.99. As if they know they're excluding certain markets and are willing to take the hit? No idea of the finances and/or inter-company "politics" that go on with this stuff, just bummed that I can't enjoy it the same as I did the past few years. Nothing quite like watching a bike race where they're frozen in position for 1-2 seconds and then pedal furiously for a tenth of a second, over and over ad nauseam. Even the NBC Sports clips on steephill are like this for me. Weird.