Only a WW would understand. Please help with decision

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Was looking for a new saddle from my Romin Evo. I was ok but felt it could be way better. The big saddle that seems to have everyone raving is the new Specialized Power saddle. Generally, I'm a 155mm in the Romin Evo and the Toupe, but since the Power saddle is so much wider, I thought I'd try out a 143mm in the Power Pro which is a Level 1 padding (Minimal), carbon shell and Ti rails. My goal was to try this saddle out and if it worked, I would purchase an Sworks version.

INFO:
-The 143mm is too narrow so I now know that the 155 is what I need.

-My buddy has a 155mm power Expert, which is a plastic shell and level 2 padding. I rode his bike and the saddle feels amazing. The padding combined with the right width just cradles my sit bones and rear end very nicely. The most comfortable saddle I've been on with out a doubt.

-The 155 Sworks will be a good fit for me as far as support and shape, but has level 1 padding. Not that it isn't comfortable, but it certainly wasn't as plush/comfortable as the power Expert version with level 2 padding.

-The 155 Sworks weighs 161g (Not too shabby for a 155mm saddle). The 155 Expert weighs 235g. A difference of 74g.

My Situation:
-I am a vain person. I care about looks and "Wow" factor. I think a lot of us, especially on weight weenies sacrifice a little bit here and there on vanity or sacrifice performance and such to accomplish the bike we want.

I'm basing this decision off of 3 things:
-Weight
-Having an Sworks which is their top shelf or having something that isn't their top tier.
-Comfort

The Level 1 padding would most likely be just fine, though not as comfortable as the Level 2. When I sat on my buddies bike again today, it was much more comfortable and felt GOOD. The cost difference is not important to me since I was already mentally set on spending the money.

Do I sacrifice the comfort for a little less comfort, weight and knowing in the back of my head that I could be sitting on an Sworks OR do I put all the other crap aside and get what is obviously more comfortable which will keep me riding longer? If the Sworks saddle came with an option for level 2 padding, it wouldn't be a question as it would be the best combo for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Everyone

by Everyone

I'd say go for comfort. What's the point in a nice bike if you're not comfortable on it?

r3awak3n

by r3awak3n

get the expert, its more comfortable to you and saves you money. Even the S-Works is not a ww saddle so might as well go for comfort.

mrgray

by mrgray

+1. not very ww anyway and more important to enjoy the ride. spend the money on awesome WW brakes or something.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Thanks for moving this to the correct part of the forum

AZR3

by AZR3

As much as it'd bug me I'd go for comfort over weight any time. What's the point in have a sweet lightweight bike that you can't ride more than 20 miles cause it's too painful? No, with that being said I'm willing to spend some $$ to find a weight weenie saddle that also comfortable (Dash Tri.7 for example, very comfy and 83g so I used those two criteria to justify the $400 price)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

You only have 3 contact points on the bike. Make them comfortable. Your butt will thank you and you will enjoy the investment in your weight weenie project that much more.