heart rate strap recommendation

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

benzebub

by benzebub

hello lads,

I'm in search of a new heart rate strap. currently using the garmin module strapped to a modified polar strap, but lately it starts crapping out after about an hour worth riding, or when I dig into higher HR-zones.

Which strap would you guys recommend? It has to be ANT compatible, comfortable (soft strap, like polar,..) and has to stay in place.

cheers!
But I could be wrong

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

I've had good luck with my Cycleops soft strap, which I'm sure is just a rebranded strap, since it looks just like the one that came with my Garmin.

It stays in place all the time, even on my MTB, and never misses a beat. I use the soft style strap, with the ends that lock in to place.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmulligan

by dmulligan

Wahoo or 4iiii. They are both less prone to spikes and both support ANT+ and BTLE. The 4iiii one will also take your ANT+ signals and rebroadcast them on BTLE so you can record on your phone.

benzebub

by benzebub

thanks for the recommendations!

I ordered the Wahoo, reviews seem nice and BTLE is a good way to make it "future proof" I think. I am a little concerned about battery life, but sometimes you just have to take a risk ;)
But I could be wrong

fuzzydunlop

by fuzzydunlop

The wahoo has been great for me too. I've never had a problem syncing

dmulligan

by dmulligan

My wahoo doesn't have the spikes in data that I used to have either. However I wonder if the filtering is too good because my heart rate climbs slower than it used to on my old strap.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

benzebub

by benzebub

did my first ride with the strap 2 days ago, so far so good. really stable and no spikes.

I have a short interval training planned later this week, good chance to check if it can track the rapid heart rate changes.
But I could be wrong

savechief

by savechief

I replaced my problematic Garmin Soft Strap Premium (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by ... 15490.html) with the standard Garmin strap (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/shop-by ... 10996.html), and haven't had any problems so far.
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

micky

by micky

Im on the market for a new strap as well; how about the Suunto? Anything bad about it?

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Micky- Suunto didnt used to be a true Ant+ strap so you may have problems.
May have changed it now though.

I use the cyclops/ powertap one; its cheap and resilient
Official cafe stop tester

dmulligan

by dmulligan

dcrainmaker.com is the best site for reviews on such things.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

I have been using the Mio Link optical wrist strap for about 4 months. I find it way nicer then the garmin chest straps I was using for years

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com