Wiggo's Hour Record Attempt

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

53x12 wrote:
Ahillock wrote:Still too bad Wiggins didn't make a proper attempt at the hour record (complete it at altitude) rather than make this into a PR event. Should have done it proper and been done with it.

It's all about the Benjamin's baby. 6,000 seat velodroms. How many quids were tickets going for? Thought I saw something like £30-50. So say £40 average. £240,000 from ticket sales, plus advertisement plus whatever Sky made from their end.

Seems like this was as much a fact-finding mission as it was a PR one.

Get all the data from this and, as mentioned previously, go again after Rio.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

de zwarten

by de zwarten

MattSoutherden wrote:
de zwarten wrote:I hope Wiggins has watched this and realizes that 55K is not enough to claim moral victory. This happened 21 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 1kd4#t=279

(Tony rominger - 1994 - Bordeaux - normal pursuit type-of-bike 55.291K)

LMAO.

And Rominger's coach was?

And Wiggin's coach was? :welcome: to the wonderful world of cycling. :beerchug:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heiko_Salzwedel

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

What are you trying to tell us with this link?

de zwarten

by de zwarten

What I am trying to tell:
That Laughing Your A.. Off is a bit funny: Some riders are clearly laughable (Rominger), while others are beyond any doubt (Wiggins). They both use coaches from the golden era of doping. But one guy is bad and the other is holy...
If riders would be so blatantly against the culture of that era, why are they still hiring the same coaches and idolising those riders (Indurain, Rominger)? Why isn't Wiggins saying to Indurain: go out of this velodrome? Why did Wiggins want to break the record of Rominger? Why didn't he just say something along the lines of: Rominger doped, and his distance is no something I go after?

hasbeen

by hasbeen

Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Aren't there 5 more identical bikes waiting to be distributed, one of which will be sold.
Much like the UKSI bikes.

uraqt

by uraqt

Well, it's only illegal 9 months from Sunday : ) I am sure that they will follow the rules just like British cycling did for the Olympics. Post it for sale on a web site and say call for price. Nobody will be able to afford it ...

The goal of the rule was to prevent custom bikes and parts, and giving one competitor and advantage over another. This is the 2nd time "British cycling" has not participated with highest level sportsmanship.

Your UCI making the sport better....

C

I looked it up, SRAM is in violation of that rule too riders used beta wireless in the 2014 Tour of Cal....

Everyone

by Everyone

Hang on, surely doesn't that mean that Dowsett's attempt is illegal as well? I'm fairly sure I can't go out and buy an identical canyon or campag discs that he used. I might be wrong of course but I took it as standard practice for these latest hour attempts that the rider would collaborate with their sponsor to create a one-off just for the event!

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/jun/09/bradley-wiggins-team-rebut-rule-bending-accusations-hour-record wrote:Asked if he thought British Cycling preferred Wiggins to Dowsett, Collins said: “Oh yes, completely.”

Wiggins rode titanium handlebars custom made through a process similar to 3D printing but which others call “additive manufacturing” on the bike produced by Pinarello, the Italian bike manufacturer.

“We had to do full documentation for the UCI detailing every component; every bit of the bike and kit was approved by the UCI down to the shoes, helmet and skinsuit. The bike is fully approved by the UCI,” a source close to the Wiggins bid responded.
This Cookson dude who's the President of the UCI, doesn't he happen to be British and to have had some association with British Cycling prior to becoming UCI president? I'm not saying Cookson isn't as pure as the driven snow, nevertheless ...

Edit: Cookson's CHF340 thousand annual salary (that's about USD 365K, or about 239 thousand quid for you Brits) as UCI president doesn't really leave him much to save for retirement. So I hope Pinarello at least provided a nice contribution toward his "retirement" account. I'm sure not as much as the FIFA guys got, but every little bit helps.

Edit: Ambiguous, "unenenforceable", and unenforced rules are stupid a$$. Get rid of the retarded rules about things having to be available for sale within 9 months after the event. Even if there were clear rules on what "being available for sale" even means, including such things as custom sizing, what happens if some riders on a team use equipment which doesn't wind up becoming available for sale, but the winner did not use such equipment, but benefited from teammates who did? Do you disqualify the team members who used equipment which didn't become for sale, but let the results of the winner who didn't use such equipment stand?
Last edited by HammerTime2 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:02 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Pan

by Pan

Wiggins smashes the record by 1.5km and they turn to handlebars to blame. They'd probably point other ridiculous claims to discredit Wiggins. Maybe if the record was within a few 10ths of a second, but 1.5km? That's a gap you can't make up with fancy grips.
2017 Pinarello F8 Dura Ace 9100 @ 7.5kg
2013 Bianchi Infinito 105 @ 8.2kg
1982 Colnago Super Single Speed @ 8.6kg

uraqt

by uraqt

No doubt, it's not about the bike, the record or the rider....

It's about the rules and it's not 100% clear that they followed them... Just because the UCI says they did doesn't mean they did...

The UCI is doing the best they can but it's clear that they don't have the resources or the professionalism to run a sport.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

hasbeen wrote:Wiggos attempt is illegal:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins ... etts-coach

Yeah. That one-off Speedmax with custom parts built by Campag that they built specially for Dowsett is different how?
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

djconnel

by djconnel

Expect to see Wiggo-shaped bars for sale on ebay soon for $10k, but none are in stock, delays uncertain.

The frame was UCI approved so no problem there.

As to whether it was a disappointment: the pressure thing was huge -- like 4% higher than it has been. Then they tried to crank up the heat to compensate. He rode much of it at 30C, and remember no water on the hour. He faded towards the end as a result.

Imagine its' 30C inside and cooler outside. Then the number of molecules flying in and out must balance. Hotter molecules move faster, which must mean the density of air in the building is lower than it is outside the building. This is why the heat it up -- at the same pressure (which balances) there's fewer molecules per volume if it's hotter. But 30F is hot.

I think 55 km was likely. His stated goal was 55.25. That was definitely within reach. 55.5 would have been a stretch. But he knew he wasn't going to do that which is why they reduced his gear relative to what was originally planned. They were still hoping for 55, though, as this is close to what his early pace was. He couldn't hold that so his pace was suboptimal for what he could do. In the same conditions if he'd started slower he could have gone further. So there were three factors:
1. nonoptimal pace
2. tried to cheat pressure with heat but went too far
3. pressure

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

dekker used a 58x14 and every was like holy moly dat gear, but couldn't push it, and wiggins goes and steps down from a 59x14 to 58x14 because of pressure...illest

wiggins to race red hook crit after rio with same gearing.

wingguy

by wingguy

MattSoutherden wrote:LMAO.

That's what I thought. Nothing 'moral' about Romingers record. Impressive for sure, but it's not as if he didn't have certain advantages. In large doses.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com