Wiggo's Hour Record Attempt

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

wingguy

by wingguy

Pan wrote:Wiggins smashes the record by 1.5km and they turn to handlebars to blame. They'd probably point other ridiculous claims to discredit Wiggins.

To be fair it is just this one guy. Dowsett himself clearly has no issues with anything Wiggins has done. Has anyone ever heard of Steve Collins? Variously described as a Team Dowsett 'helper' or 'coach' depending on where you read. Wouldn't be surprised if he was just a volunteer who helped set the chairs out or punch tickets TBH :P

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

wingguy wrote:
Pan wrote:Wiggins smashes the record by 1.5km and they turn to handlebars to blame. They'd probably point other ridiculous claims to discredit Wiggins.

To be fair it is just this one guy. Dowsett himself clearly has no issues with anything Wiggins has done. Has anyone ever heard of Steve Collins? Variously described as a Team Dowsett 'helper' or 'coach' depending on where you read. Wouldn't be surprised if he was just a volunteer who helped set the chairs out or punch tickets TBH :P

yea dowsett is a good sport and seemed to clear things on the interwebz
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dowsett ... our-record

uraqt

by uraqt

it's not one guy, it's two and I bet there is more....

I use to really like watching bike racing and all UCI crap has wrecked that... I get that they are trying but it's time to give the sport to the riders and manufacturers. This is really simple they can't enforce the rules...

I could be wrong but the last time I checked, The UCI frame approval has nothing to do with the ARTICLE 1.3.007 ( the nine month rule )

I was going to quote the rule here, but after reading it there is no point! I am wrong it's not that they can't enforce the rules, it's worse than that!!!

They wrote the rules so that they can't be enforced, WTF... what type of organization does that?

C

PS This exactly why I stopped watching bike racing, get all excited about an "event" and then after digging in to it's all a house of cards.

DanW

by DanW

"He also had the help of British Cycling which, well, is not allowed," said Collins. "It was a bit strange to see British Cycling, like Shane Sutton, getting so involved last night when he doesn't work for Team Wiggins, I'm not sure how that's allowed."

I'm not sure how it isn't "allowed"? Sounds a bit whiney to me!

I am actually starting to come around to liking Dowsett. He seemed to grate for whatever reason a bit in the UK setups but more recently he is coming across more humble- of course this is 90% PR training probably but he really comes across like someone who is very confident in his own abilities and is happy to let his riding do the talking.

Seems like this was as much a fact-finding mission as it was a PR one.

Get all the data from this and, as mentioned previously, go again after Rio.

I don't believe Wiggins would be mentally up for this after the pressure of this Hour, then Rio. I get the impression the location and PR was needed to make it viable rather than as a first go to test the waters. He seems to work best with some down time between big projects and I think it would be too much (for anyone really!) to mentally and physically commit to all these things in a row.

ichobi

by ichobi

Makes you wonder how the hell Obree did it twice in two days and, actually beat the record. Oh wait, yeah he isn' quite right in the head, either.

deek

by deek

The hour is only 100TSS, I do that on back to back days no problem.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Pacing, bitches.

"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

53x12

by 53x12

That is impressive. Dowsett and Voigt weren't bad either. They weren't as steady as Wiggins was, but they also didn't fade towards the end like Wiggins did. Dowsett and Voigt saved something in the tank for the end.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

The "fade" is barley registrable, which would indicate there wasn't much left out on the track. A late surge shows poor pacing.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

53x12

by 53x12

I have heard different theories regarding a late surge as part of the game plan and it being a positive.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

User Name

by User Name

Just when you thought you'd run out of expensive things to buy :mrgreen:

£6000 treatment of Wiggins' Hour Record Shimano chain

lubricant manufacturer Muc-Off claim that the total cost of the process amounted to £6000.
Muc-Off has developed a machine to quantify the efficiency and durability of its chain lubricant formulations. Called the CLOD (which stands for Chain Lubricant Optimisation Dynamometer), this machine measures the friction generated in running the chain.

Muc-Off tested over 30 Shimano Dura-Ace chains to select the most efficient, before deep cleaning them in a sonic bath. Muc-Off’s team then applied a specially formulated lubricant treatment with military grade high pressure additives to reduce friction. Muc-Off proved that the new formulation showed limited performance degradation over an hour of running and has published a graph showing its performance over the hour relative to its other formulations. This shows that friction losses in the chain started off as low as other formulations and remained low throughout an hour of use, whereas other tested formulations generated increased friction losses over the course of an hour.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... deo-176173

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCGyR9KgxLs

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Nice. No vertical axis scale. One of the oldest tricks in the book.

But for the £6000 treatment of Wiggins' Hour Record Shimano chain, he would have fallen approximately 2.39 nanometers short of what he did.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

nathanong87 wrote:in wiggo we trust

i wasn't too far off haha

joec

by joec

yep, definatly well paced by Wiggins, nothing left in the tank at the end!

what would be interesting to see is speeds for the last few mins/few laps, obvously Dowsett played it safe and it certainly paid off, his name is on the list, and always will be... but he must have been putting in some serious speeds in the last 10 mins to make up that time in that time....

would really like to se Dowsett do it again with revised strategy. jsut to see what he's capable of.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

H0RSE

by H0RSE

phollingswo wrote:I bet dowsett has another crack in the next five years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good boy AD could do it if there is a record to beat.