Italy in October

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

I'm going to be in Italy in early October, based in Como. I'm wondering if anyone has ventured up towards the Mortirolo and Aprica at that time of year. Are the climbs rideable or is the weather too bad by then?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wingguy

by wingguy

As with anywhere in the alps at that time of year the answer is 'it depends'. When it's nice it can be absolutely amazing, or you could get feet of snow overnight.

I'd say more likely to be good than bad though, and you'd be pretty unlucky for the roads to be shut down.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vagabond

by Vagabond

I spent a week there in early September last year. The tops of the Stelvio and Gavia were pretty cold at times but still rideable until late September at least. They are much much higher than the Mortirolo. I think you'd probably be fine well into October but like wingguy said, it depends. It's amazing over there. So much so in fact that I'm heading back fitter and lighter this August for eight nights. The Hotel Funivia in Bormio really caters to cyclists and their half board package provides a dinner you just won't believe until you try it. Bellisimo! There's lots of good gouge at stelvioexperience.it. Have fun!
Colnago e Campagnolo

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I would exercise extreme caution if you plan to get near or above 1500 meters. If there is heavy cloud or worse I would avoid the big climbs. Climbing into the clouds is asking for trouble. At that time of year regardless of weather, I would never do any real climbing without spare warm gloves, overshoes, knee warmers, arm warmers, and a proper windproof/waterproof shell in my pockets. I know some real nightmare stories of cyclists who were unprepared for bad weather and I only just survived my own adventures because I was prepared. The valley can be tranquil and warm and at elevation you could be dealing with 80 km/h winds, driving rain and temps close to freezing. Hypothermia can get you real fast if you are thin or small. I once found a guy stuck on the decent of the Port de Pailheres who couldn't ride on because he was shaking too badly to control his bike or use his brakes - this was in July. If you get into one of those situations when there is no vehicle traffic to rescue you (which is possible in October), it can be a really bad scene.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

micky

by micky

Some years ago I had to go to Bormio for no-cycling reason and it was first week of October; Stelvio was closed due to snow, while Mortirolo was fine and there were some mtbikers on the top.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Mr.Gib wrote:I would exercise extreme caution if you plan to get near or above 1500 meters. If there is heavy cloud or worse I would avoid the big climbs. Climbing into the clouds is asking for trouble. At that time of year regardless of weather, I would never do any real climbing without spare warm gloves, overshoes, knee warmers, arm warmers, and a proper windproof/waterproof shell in my pockets. I know some real nightmare stories of cyclists who were unprepared for bad weather and I only just survived my own adventures because I was prepared. The valley can be tranquil and warm and at elevation you could be dealing with 80 km/h winds, driving rain and temps close to freezing. Hypothermia can get you real fast if you are thin or small. I once found a guy stuck on the decent of the Port de Pailheres who couldn't ride on because he was shaking too badly to control his bike or use his brakes - this was in July. If you get into one of those situations when there is no vehicle traffic to rescue you (which is possible in October), it can be a really bad scene.

Thanks. I'm familiar with the climbs in the region nearer to Varenna & Bellagio and have experience of how quickly the conditions can change at that time of year. Needless to say I always pack winter gear with me just in case!

ultyguy

by ultyguy

You can really get anything. I've gone to Lombardia for years when it was even later in the calendar and have seen it in everything from 2 degrees and pouring down and perfect, 20 degree sunshine. Roll of the dice...

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

On my first visit we checked the forecast before flying out and packed accordingly. Problem was the weather did an about face on the second day and I found myself riding the Ghisallo in 20 degree sunshine wearing windstopper and tights!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IchDien

by IchDien

October is pushing it really, but early October *should* be fine.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

We'll see then. Fingers crossed it'll be clear and not too chilly on the Mortirolo and up to Aprica. If not there are still plenty of places to ride around the lake. Plus Il Lombardia finishes in Como this year. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Enough warnings have been raised, better be prepared. Anyway one of my most epic rides was traversing Passo Maloggia from the north towards Lake Como in November. The weather was glorious, but due to the early start the water in my bottle froze. Needless to say I was young and didn't have gear like overshoes or fleece bibs, so my toes weren't off much better than my bideon. Nothing that a dip in the Lago di Mezzola and a freshwater fish risotto wouldn't fix, though.

That was before the kids. Missing riding in Italy ...

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I am typically in Lecco in October. Last year when I rode the Stelvio there was snow at the top, and both the Gavia and Stelvio can be occasionaly closed by snow in October. Closures tend not to be for long - just until the snow gets cleared from the road.

The Mortirolo is lower and I've never known that closed in October, at least when I have ridden it.

No problems with the lower roads around Como/Lecco. Can be quite warm on the sunny days - warm enough for the lizards to be out - however, winds from the Meditteranean Sea can bring a lot of rain to Northern Italy in autumn.

Always carry a rain cape and gloves in cool weather. You will need these on any descent >1000m. Not so on warm days in October when you might be okay is just a s/s top next to your skin.

djconnel

by djconnel

I was in Como in October and it didn't work out for me to make the Dolomites: freezing at the Stevio summit for a week straight, with snow. So I went down to ride part of the Milan- San Remo course instead, starting in Genoa. It wasn't my main chose, but it was an excellent one.

Como, OTOH, was very nice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vagabond

by Vagabond

The latest issue of "Cyclist" actually has an article about climbing the Stelvio in October. For what it's worth. . .
Colnago e Campagnolo