Is Cycling a Fashion Show?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Viktor

by Viktor

Jebus! So many insecure men here! I can buy the argument about prices being driven up but who gives a *f##k* if someone posts pictures on IG of their socks or if someone that can't ride for shit has a nice bike and kit. I started with a used Miyata from the 90s and basic shimano kit and shoes. Worked fine and I beat a lot of people on nicer bikes and matching kits but now when I have the money I have a nicer bike and I like a kit that stands out a bit. Morvelo is probably "one of those" brands but it's good quality with a bit of design and I like feeling pretty when I'm out. And sure, people on cheaper bikes and with cheaper kits sometimes passes me, no biggie!

There isn't anything sacred about cycling, yeah I can respect the old dudes with old kits that still cycles like crazy but they're not anymore "real" than anybody else. If I pass someone I don't care what they're wearing, I'm just happy to meet a fellow cyclist and give them a smile and a wave.

Edit: Don´t want to offend anybody with my second post but funny that it´s not ok to spend money on kits but Ti skewers for mucho dollars is fine? And flaunting yourself on social media? Aren't we all just doing the same but with pics of the latest super lightweight part?
We like different things which is fine! If som rich, overweight, office dude comes in to the shop were I work and buys the most expensive bike and I know he´s not gonna ride it hard I try not to judge, I´m basically just jealous. Maybe the uber nice bike can motivate him to loose some weight or live a more active lifestyle , which is good!

As stated before in the thread, whatever gets you ridin!
Last edited by Viktor on Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

All I know is going for a ride puts a big smile in my face, regardless of weather. It´s right up there with family/kids, and having great s.x, nothing much else beats it.

I think all the new brands are great. Behind them are someone who dared to make a startup and someone with passion.

Maybe there are a few that are too calculating (If you ask me that´s what Rapha has become) but in all the boom just represents the boom in cycling. Go for a ride and smile at your fellow cyclists.
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

Dodger747

by Dodger747

The rampant narcissism of society as a whole is somewhat annoying, which is why I'm glad I do the vast majority of my cycling alone.
VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
W/kg - 4.9

djm

by djm

Being social isn't necessarily narcissistic, unless you ride with others only to reap their approval of you (some do, sure). I find that riding together with others provides mutually increased enjoyment of cycling. That said I also ride a lot alone :-)

gravity

by gravity

i think the discussion have gone off course.

i think what OP meant is that there is a huge demand for such hipster kit (attaquer, GSC, to name a few) and this has driven the overall price to go up - including the brand who previously had never placed their brand in such price bracket. To make thing worse, these hipster brands are not putting anything new on the table other than slick colours and ridiculous marketing in social media. They don't even manufacture their kit; what they did is just put some colours on the kit then sell it at $140 or so. And surprisingly they sell like hot cakes!

Yeah these new brands have attracted many to take up cycling; but at the same time it makes cycling slightly more expensive without any technological improvement whatsoever, Nobody is complaining how expensive Wahoo Kickr is cos everybody knows it's such a badass trainer with lots of cool features.

or just buy Torm. can't recommend this brand enough.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Tbh, if they're offering slick colours and good looking kit then they are bringing something to the table.

russianbear

by russianbear

Maybe my circle isn't hipster enough. I still get shit for wearing Assos. I don't know half these brands you guys are talking about.

gravity

by gravity

My locals only started to pick up these new small brands just recently, mostly still opts for Rapha, Assos, Castelli etc. One time I saw a bloke wearing a BlackSheepCyling kit and can't help thinking -- "jeezzz you paid AUD300 for that kit?"

But what do i know about fashion eh :wink:

kgt

by kgt

following glam2deaf...
It's true that the topic's title takes as a given (even indirectly) that 'fashion' is a 'bad' thing. Which is not.

uraqt

by uraqt

I disagree fashion is a bad thing...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fashion

I am not that great of rider, however I want the best value for all my gear and I spend a lot of time trying to find the right value for me... "trend in the style in which a person dresses" has nothing to due with why I ride.

Almost everything I buy, I have made a very thoughtful decision about almost every factor in it's use. I have limited time on this earth and I want the best stuff that meets my needs when I need to use .... from kitchen knifes to car tires.

C

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Fashion is a great thing, it may not be for everyone though. But for me pushing aesthetics forward is just as exciting as leaps in technology and engineering.

Rush

by Rush

I take it as a badge of honour that I've never heard of some of the brands mentioned here.

I used to think hiking and ski / backcountry stores were overpriced. They are now my first point of call for gloves, socks and baselayers as the cycling industry has jumped the shark when it comes to garment pricing IMO.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Clothing from the surf industry is marked up 300-400% + so I wonder what the markup on cycling clothing is?

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

Wingnut wrote:Clothing from the surf industry is marked up 300-400% + so I wonder what the markup on cycling clothing is?

The same. Selling Bike clothing is much more profitable than selling bikes or bike parts...
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

MiddMan

by MiddMan

mrowkoob wrote:
Wingnut wrote:Clothing from the surf industry is marked up 300-400% + so I wonder what the markup on cycling clothing is?

The same. Selling Bike clothing is much more profitable than selling bikes or bike parts...

+1

I also echo Dodger747 and others who have said that problem is narcissism of society etc. I started riding in high school and college before Facebook was invented, but then I was abroad for several years after college and didn't ride overseas. When I came back to the States my old cycling team jersey didn't fit me, my helmet's padding had disintegrated, I didn't have 'cycling specific' socks, etc. so I just rode for a couple weeks in a regular exercise shirt until I bought new cycling clothing. I even wore my old helmet without padding for nearly a month lol.

As for style, to each his own, I ended up getting some Castelli and some Santini. The chamois is most important thing followed by cut/fit and breathability for me--and also something that won't get me run over by a car. I don't think I'll ever post a photo of my 'kit'. So why the long post? Just a round about way of saying nothing wrong with looking presentable or stylish or whatever, but what really matters is the ride. And ideally you won't be thinking about your clothing on a Category 3 climb.

Have fun, enjoy yourself, don't analyse to fret too much about what others wear :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com