Is Cycling a Fashion Show?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KWalker

by KWalker

nathanong87 wrote:
tranzformer wrote:Just ride your bike. If you don't like the social media aspect, then don't partake in it. Ignore it. If there are certain kits you don't like, don't support them with your purchase. Buy from other companies.

/thread.

I would agree but it's driving up costs across the board. Even a Capo jersey is now in that range and 2 years ago they were half as much. Most of the bigger companies have switched to the same marketing and ad strategies and have raised prices as a result. It's a bummer but at least in their case the stuff is designed and tested.

It's not like I follow any of these people on social media but you can't use the explore feature on IG for more than 30 seconds without somehow seeing them or look at any picture related thread and not see the same type of shots. Normally it wouldn't matter I just wouldn't click on it but that's not the concern here really, the concern is cycling faux high fashion making it completely ridiculous to want to buy a normal decent kit without shelling out $500. The upper end has always been like that but now the bottom end has moved way up.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bura

by bura

I do fully agree with ^
Knowing the huge profits in the garment industry it is propably the least "risky" investment within anything related to cycling. So people who "think to have an idea" going into that direction others like Rapha have made their move to.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

KWalker wrote:the concern is cycling faux high fashion making it completely ridiculous to want to buy a normal decent kit without shelling out $500. The upper end has always been like that but now the bottom end has moved way up.
Two words for you. Bike Nashbar.

$7.99 Nashbar Sport Jersey ... and take an extra 20% off

tranzformer

by tranzformer

^ lol. Too much of a Fred look

H0RSE

by H0RSE

HammerTime2 wrote:Two words for you. Bike Nashbar.

Aye, along with your Bridget Jones underwear. We get the picture.

KWalker

by KWalker

HammerTime2 wrote:
KWalker wrote:the concern is cycling faux high fashion making it completely ridiculous to want to buy a normal decent kit without shelling out $500. The upper end has always been like that but now the bottom end has moved way up.

Terrible.

It shouldn't be so hard to get a "race cut" in neutral colors. Like Giro New Road, but tighter fit. That's all I'm askin for. And a decently affordable price.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

benzebub

by benzebub

^^

this please. can't brands just make some clean jerseys with just 1 color and without huge logo's or some out of place fluo stripe.
I'd love to buy a jersey like the Rapha classic line for a normal price.
But I could be wrong

plag

by plag

I like a lot of the Louis garneau stuff, simple colors and designs, decent price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idler

by idler

benzebub wrote:^^

this please. can't brands just make some clean jerseys with just 1 color and without huge logo's or some out of place fluo stripe.
I'd love to buy a jersey like the Rapha classic line for a normal price.

Torm?

benzebub

by benzebub

they have come to my attention a while ago.. I'll have to order a jersey from them next month to see how the quality,.. is

anyone got experience with eleven.cc?
But I could be wrong

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

Yes, I got a jersey from eleven.cc earlier this year. It's quite nice and we'll made but the wool is quite a bit thinner than rapha jerseys for comparison .

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Liggero

by Liggero

KWalker wrote:Lately I've noticed that there is an absurd amount of largely social media driven apparel companies selling fairly basic jerseys for upwards of $175 a piece. Most of the Australian brands (Black Cat, Attaquer) come to mind and almost none of these companies actually have any serious experience designing and utilizing textiles. Essentially they know how to source production, which isn't expensive, and have a few graphic designers to produce what are essentially fairly plain kits with flowers or dots on them. I like a lot of them at first glance honestly. It all started with Rapha but at least (IMO and experience) they make some high quality products that they actually repeatedly test and re-design.

Until I consider that you're not really paying for anything but the design. Coupled with the absurd amount of people that now produce socks, accessories, and pretty much market entirely through Instagram and it seems as if appearance on social media and aesthetics are now what we are paying for. Leg vein pics, kit grids, coffee shop photos, and the like seem to have taken precedence over all else in a lot of cases. I don't know how many #sockdoping pics I see and how few of actual ride scenery. Its more about conspicuous consumption and what you have on than anything else. Moreover its driving the cost of an already expensive sport even higher for what amounts to some very basic products.

I also questioned this same issue in the latest years, but this was my conclusion:

- In social media, the cycling that is represented is that related to "cycling is the new golf", or that one of "these cool people, so moderd with those uber cool kits and giro shoes", but I noticed that that represent 99% of cclign social media, but 0,5% of cyclign reality, as when i ride my bike in spain or netherlands, i just see guys with those cheap and uber ugly jerseys, with crappy local sponsors and awkward colour combinations. These people don't pay rapha prices, they are not so stupid. You also see some guys with an assos shorts or castelli, but they do ride and is not for fashion as actually doesn't look very latest season at all, more like the red and black from 15 years ago, so...

- in this forum, there seem to be now a 90% of users who belong to that 0,5% of cycling.... sad, but true.
Happy Trails !!!

milkbaby

by milkbaby

benzebub wrote:anyone got experience with eleven.cc?

I got a jersey from them and was pleased. It's 100% merino wool, not the hybrid sportwool used by Rapha and other brands. It is quite lightweight material. I liked being able to choose the colors.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

HammerTime2 wrote:

O.k., I'll admit when I was wrong. When I posted this 4 days ago, the price was $7.99 and take an extra 20% off, which made it $6.39.

Folks, this IS the bottom end of which KWalker spoke so eloquently. I just clicked on the link again. Now the price is $9.99, and no 20% off . So in the course of 4 days, the bottom end of the market went up 56.3%. If the price continues to increase at this rate, in one year, the bottom end of the market jersey will cost 5.105 Exadollars (i.e., 5.105 * 10 ^18 dollars, i.e., 5.105e18 dollars). So KWalker was more right than he knew, if only a bit premature.

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

KWalker wrote:
HammerTime2 wrote:

Terrible.

It shouldn't be so hard to get a "race cut" in neutral colors. Like Giro New Road, but tighter fit. That's all I'm askin for. And a decently affordable price.

That's one thing that's always annoyed me - why does a slim fit have to be so expensive?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com