Is Cycling a Fashion Show?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Wingnut

by Wingnut

saibot wrote:Thanks for taking the time to post all that! I also worked in the so called "surfer clothing" industry for a nationwide distributor and reading some of the profits claims on here made me laugh, no energy to debate on the internet though. But glad you came in with some actual facts. Spot on!

Really, explain this then? High margins unrealistic?

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fashio ... c8b1a0d3c0

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ghost234

by Ghost234

Having worked in the bike industry for 6 years, at various levels (I started in retail). I find it entertaining seeing what people believe it costs retails and manufacturers to make/receive product.

In the retail environment it is usually pretty standard margins. But in the wholesaler/manufacturer it can vary wildly.

I've yet to ever see a 400% margin on anything. I have seen 300% margin on some clothing items.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I seen some other comments from people in the "industry"who have mentioned that yes surf clothing does have very high margins but I don't presume the same with cycling clothing.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

welchy

by welchy

What everybody needs is the one and only Rapha Outlet/Discount store on their doorstep (Shepton Mallet UK), and then you can buy the super expensive stuff for half the price - bringing it in line with normal offerings. Not a chance in hell I would pay £200 for a pair of Bib Shorts normally, the only problem I have is when I roll-up in full Rapha get-up people thing I'm loaded, when truth be-told it's reasonable, fits me spot on, and lasts a heck of a long time.

For me the main part about kit these days is it NOT being pro kit in it's look, but understated, simplistic and.. aero!

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

for the price of some of the other brands, rapha is looking affordable now and is still my go to for comfortable non-brandish stuff to wear while riding.

welchy

by welchy

nathanong87 wrote:for the price of some of the other brands, rapha is looking affordable now and is still my go to for comfortable non-brandish stuff to wear while riding.

Agreed - it seems to wear very well, in comparison to Castelli which never performs/logo fall off after washing within guidelines etc.
I also love the understated look of some Rapha gear..