Is Cycling a Fashion Show?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

DanW

by DanW

Wear the dhb loud and proud and smack the poseurs all over the hills

Lot of love here for DHB and they do turn out decent products at reasonable prices. As with anything though, you have to ask how they manage to achieve such good value. There were threads on UK boards of a designer approaching them with some ideas, getting turned down, then suddenly finding similar designs for sale. You can argue if it was a rip off or not but at the end of the day you don't get something for nothing! If it were easy to make top quality products at low prices then everyone would be doing it. The more hipster way OTT kit is just exploiting a certain share of the market in another way and if people are happy to pay the money then let them.

It is interesting that only a couple of years ago my LBS used to be full of Assos, then they dropped it because it got too expensive and everyone turned to Castelli and now they are thinning down the Castelli stock as the prices have risen (seems to be about 20% or more here in the UK compared to a year or two ago- possibly the distributor protecting prices or high distributor costs?). The shop seem to stock a lot more Gore and Endura although their stuff doesn't do it for me personally. The mid to high end kit at decent prices seems to be a little thin on the ground at least here in the UK. I've turned to Sportful recently and can't complain at all so I guess there are still reasonable options out there

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

haydos

by haydos

I live in Melbourne and have been in the industry for quite a few years now. Certainly over the last 2-3 years particularly there has been a big change in cycling fashion / trends etc.

I don't have an issue with riders wearing the latest / best / trendiest whatever...I myself wear mostly assos.

What I do have an issue with is a rider taking pictures of their socks 5 times each ride and posting on IG, FB etc.

Or laying their kit folded out on their bed before their ride and taking pics and posting on IG / FB.

Hashtaging #kitdoping #sockdoping #newsockday #newkitday whatever :twisted: :twisted:

I've honestly now unfollowed on social media 90% of my riding 'mates' because it has just become ridiculous. 90% of the discussion on rides also seems to revolve around the latest Pedla/Black sheep/Maap/Jaggad kit or what new 4shaw/Maap socks they buy 3 times each week and then post online.

Their is a rumor of a guy here in Melb who owns numerous colours of top of the line Bonts...taking with him 5 different pairs to the TDU just so his shoes matched his riding kit.

I mean WTF?

Just ride your f_cking bike!

Oh and don't get me started on the whole 'new' cyclecross movement!
Current Quiver:
Cervelo Aspero, Dura Ace 12
Time RXR, Record 10sp
Colnago C40 Mapei

In the past:
C59 x 2, EPS, Dogma2, Dogma, Caad 12, SuperSix HM, BMC RM01, Focus Izalco, Scott Foil, Cervelo R3SL, BMC SLC01, S-Works Tarmac, TCR

H0RSE

by H0RSE

Yes it should be. Perhaps delving more in the fashionable perspective and flaunting it more.
The sport itself is kinda a little BS.

nobuseri

by nobuseri

haydos wrote:I live in Melbourne and have been in the industry for quite a few years now. Certainly over the last 2-3 years particularly there has been a big change in cycling fashion / trends etc.

I don't have an issue with riders wearing the latest / best / trendiest whatever...I myself wear mostly assos.

What I do have an issue with is a rider taking pictures of their socks 5 times each ride and posting on IG, FB etc.

Or laying their kit folded out on their bed before their ride and taking pics and posting on IG / FB.

Hashtaging #kitdoping #sockdoping #newsockday #newkitday whatever :twisted: :twisted:

I've honestly now unfollowed on social media 90% of my riding 'mates' because it has just become ridiculous. 90% of the discussion on rides also seems to revolve around the latest Pedla/Black sheep/Maap/Jaggad kit or what new 4shaw/Maap socks they buy 3 times each week and then post online.

Their is a rumor of a guy here in Melb who owns numerous colours of top of the line Bonts...taking with him 5 different pairs to the TDU just so his shoes matched his riding kit.

I mean WTF?

Just ride your f_cking bike!

Oh and don't get me started on the whole 'new' cyclecross movement!

Lots of truth in these statements. I am sure you were being pretty serious, but it made me laugh a little. :thumbup:
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

DanW

by DanW

That is pretty extreme Haydos :shock: But not so surprising I guess as some people post their socks/ shoes/ calves here on WW too :| Worst thing of it all is most of that calves-selfies end up as crotch shots!

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

It seems pretty natural for riders to want to match a great looking bike to a great looking kit tbh. It can only really be a good thing having more choice in what you wear while riding. Also it's 2015, social media is a pretty big part of almost anything you do these days, cycling isn't any different.

haydos

by haydos

Nobuseri:

Only a little bit tongue in cheek mate :thumbup:

Lately i've spent quite a bit of time with a cyclist who was a gold medalist and world champion and it was very refreshing to see that they did not give a crap about what bike they rode/ what kit they wore etc. All they were worried about was how strong their legs/lungs were.

It was funny 5 or so years ago when 'the rules of the euro cyclist' started...but back then everyone knew it was taking the piss. Now... :roll: :roll:
Current Quiver:
Cervelo Aspero, Dura Ace 12
Time RXR, Record 10sp
Colnago C40 Mapei

In the past:
C59 x 2, EPS, Dogma2, Dogma, Caad 12, SuperSix HM, BMC RM01, Focus Izalco, Scott Foil, Cervelo R3SL, BMC SLC01, S-Works Tarmac, TCR

KWalker

by KWalker

I laugh when someone is so insecure that they flock to social media to take sock pics to show off a leg vain
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

tharmor

by tharmor

I'll play the devil's advocate here.

Can any of you name another sport (with similar socioeconomic demographics) which isn't a total fashion show?

Golf. Please.
Skiing. Forget about it.

But I am completely open to hear your rebuttals.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

Just ride your bike. If you don't like the social media aspect, then don't partake in it. Ignore it. If there are certain kits you don't like, don't support them with your purchase. Buy from other companies.

I'll have to look at the DHB kits. I wish I could try one on first. But they seem like good value for the money.

weenie

by weenie

i ride my fancy carbon bike with a pair of regular shorts (not spandex) and merino tshirt (this actually works well). No chamois or cream needed, either.
my rider friends don't do that (in fact, im not sure i ever see anyone without spandex kit or some fancy hipster kit on an half-serious road bike..).. but as long as nobody bother me with the "style" or lack thereof, im good D:

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

haydos wrote:Lately i've spent quite a bit of time with a cyclist who was a gold medalist and world champion and it was very refreshing to see that they did not give a crap about what bike they rode/ what kit they wore etc. All they were worried about was how strong their legs/lungs were.

Don't need a gold medal or world championship to have that attitude mate :wink:

(not to say I wouldn't love either)

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

tranzformer wrote:I'll have to look at the DHB kits. I wish I could try one on first. But they seem like good value for the money.

PS: Check the comments on Wiggle to estimate the right size/fit. DHB get their stuff made in different plants/countries (I've seen stuff from eastern EU and eastern Asia), thus their gears don't have the same fit across their collections.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

tranzformer wrote:Just ride your bike. If you don't like the social media aspect, then don't partake in it. Ignore it. If there are certain kits you don't like, don't support them with your purchase. Buy from other companies.

/thread.

Razor

by Razor

I have to agree with some of the previous posters, cycling "fashion" now consist of clothing and equipment. I know so many people that buy equipment because it is the newest version of what they already have; it is not driven by need but by consumerism.

In regards to clothing, being in the industry, I know where the cost of the textiles and sourcing comes into play when determining retail pricing. The new brands that are charging $125 for a jersey that has basic fabrics, with no discernible details such as top-notch zippers, zippered pockets, reflective bits, can't be flogged for selling an overpriced garment if someone is willing to pay for it. We try to provide top quality fabrics at affordable prices, we source all of the top fabrics out of Italy and could charge much more but we don't because we have very low-overhead.

On the design side, I think the proliferation of "retro" designs means that every guy who knows basic Illustrator can make a rudimentary design and it will work because it is a "me too" design. So there are more opportunities for these new brands to pop up and put out a product that fits right into what is the going trend design-wise, they know the sport has some affluent individuals that are willing (and expect) to pay for clothing that can be expensive. Long gone are the days of guys getting into riding without regard to how nice their equipment is and just need some basic clothing to get started with.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com