Is Cycling a Fashion Show?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Marin

by Marin

Slim fit -> wearer committed to the sport (or anorexic) -> prepared to pay more -> milk them. Easy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

A Fool And His Money Are Soon Parted....

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Some days I love cycling like when I was a teenager but all the social media numpties and bandwagon jumpers I see on the road ruin it for me these days...

tranzformer

by tranzformer

When you have roadies matching their kits, shoes, socks, helmet and bike color, it has gone a bit far. Entered the realm of what our wives/girlfriends do when getting ready for a weekend night in town.

RyanH

by RyanH

Marin wrote:Slim fit -> wearer committed to the sport (or anorexic) -> prepared to pay more -> milk them. Easy.

Or a less cynical way to look at it is that, ceteris parabis, a slim fit has a smaller market, which means the fixed costs of another cut are spread among a smaller number of units, thus higher cost.

andrew9

by andrew9

I'm tall and skinny, and like a snug fit, that is still long enough

I usually buy one of the biggest sizes and take them in around 30-80mm on each side, and taper into the sleeves.

The extra bonus to this that you usually end up with longer sleeves too, many jerseys I like have had sleeves that end too high in the medium-large sizes that I’m supposed to fit.
All of my jerseys have had plain panels under the arms, so the alteration is not obvious, some patterns and team kits you may end up disfiguring the graphics.

duz10s

by duz10s

haydos wrote:I live in Melbourne and have been in the industry for quite a few years now. Certainly over the last 2-3 years particularly there has been a big change in cycling fashion / trends etc.

I don't have an issue with riders wearing the latest / best / trendiest whatever...I myself wear mostly assos.

What I do have an issue with is a rider taking pictures of their socks 5 times each ride and posting on IG, FB etc.

Or laying their kit folded out on their bed before their ride and taking pics and posting on IG / FB.

Hashtaging #kitdoping #sockdoping #newsockday #newkitday whatever :twisted: :twisted:

I've honestly now unfollowed on social media 90% of my riding 'mates' because it has just become ridiculous. 90% of the discussion on rides also seems to revolve around the latest Pedla/Black sheep/Maap/Jaggad kit or what new 4shaw/Maap socks they buy 3 times each week and then post online.

Their is a rumor of a guy here in Melb who owns numerous colours of top of the line Bonts...taking with him 5 different pairs to the TDU just so his shoes matched his riding kit.

I mean WTF?

Just ride your f_cking bike!

Oh and don't get me started on the whole 'new' cyclecross movement!

I think that same guy with the 5 pairs of shoes also is known for wearing and owning the ugliest old school pro kits he can find and posting it all over SM, absolute flog.

Boutique brands popping up weekly selling jerseys for well over $150 and knicks well over $250 is just becoming so common, I don't mind fashion but at what cost?
2015 RCA with Di2

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I know exactly who you mean...this is his shoe collection...

Dalai

by Dalai

haydos wrote:Oh and don't get me started on the whole 'new' cyclecross movement!

Not sure of the movement thing, but CX racing is fun! :thumbup:

I don't care about the expensive kit. I'll buy plain jerseys and black bibs when on sale...

Not bothered about the social media thing like kwalker obviously is. I'm not on Twitter or Instagram anyway, so people can post what they like!

I just ride and train mostly by myself, so happily miss all this other side of cycling.

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

There's no denying that cycling has increased in populartity over the last 5 years or so. Here in Denmark I've never seen as many bikeriders as now, and it's not getting easier with triathlon being one of the most hyped sports right now. When something gains popularity in comes the money. There's a lot of people that don't care about cost, and just want what's the best, looks the best = gets them in that exclusive club of likeminded people that can ride a bike really fast, but corners like the old Mercedes A class(the one that flipped over).

I'm somewhat reminded of a documentary about grunge. When grunge got popular, a flannel shirt that you could buy for 5 dollars in Seattle, could be seen in a Calvin Klein catalogue with a 150 dollar pricetag. Outrageous thing is that people actually bought it.

I think a lot of the new companies are doing the business good. They're trying to bring something new to the table in terms of design. Look at the established brands such as Castelli, Assos, Giordana, Craft etc. The standard kits that you get from them are really nice and in great quality/fit, but my god are they boring to look at. Hopefully a lot of these boutique companies will be able push the big players in a direction where design gets a modern look.

And yes - cycling is a fashion sport, but not more than other sports. Look at what's happening in soccer, tennis, golf, etc. You can choose to ride a 1000 dollar bike, with 100 dollar shoes, and a kit that you bought for 200 dollars without worry, or you can buy the new Venge with a boutique kit that has been designed by some dude in Australia and 400 dollar shoes with laces in them. No one is forcing nobody into a specific fashion phenomenon, and in the end, it's the guy that crosses the line first that get's the respect - not the guys that stopped halfway because they needed a 10 dollar latte.

But how many of us can honestly say that we chose our bike purely because it was the one that fitted us the best, without even glancing at numbers/weight and look. Or chose the sunglasses because they did the job without costing too much, instead of choosing the latest Oakleys that look badass?

Edit: And also, about the guy and the shoes. I have a good friend who has 5 or 6 bicycles, 6 different helmets, and 5 or 6 pair of shoes. Why? Because he likes it, and he has the option to do so. Would I do the same? Probably not, but then again we're all different. I like the comfort of having 1 set of shoes that I use, whereas he chooses shoes depending on what he likes for the day.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

michel2

by michel2

its weird..i dont understand it any of its funny at the australian bicycle market on facebook people are flogging there used ralpha and attaquer gear for big $ aswell
ridding into the wind, ridding in the mud, ridding up the hills, what else mathers?

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Cycling well on its way to losing its modesty...?

NilesCrane

by NilesCrane

I'm struggling to understand the discussion. Must riders look a certain way and spend a certain, fixed amount of money? No more, no less?

It's the same with everything. Some people enjoy buying a nice watch for the looks, some for the technical aspects - Others couldn't care less about watches. At the end of the day, a Patek and a Seiko still just tell the time. Same goes for suits - a 100$ suit and a 5000$ suit still does the same job. Who are we to judge who's choice is right or wrong?

Talking about modesty, give me a break - How modest is it to judge others for what they wear, how they behave on social media or how new they are to the sport? "Synonym: unpretentiousness"
I guess you're right, it's losing it alright.

I'm just glad the sport is growing, because that is beneficial for all of us. And I couldn't care less if the cyclist next to me in a group is riding a entry level bike or a C60, or whether or not they are wearing rapha, a boutique brand or a god damn t-shirt.
Cycling has given me a lot of joy, and I'm glad others find the sport joyful aswell - Regardless of were that joy come from, be it fashion, fitness or just being out on the road.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

NilesCrane wrote:I'm struggling to understand the discussion. Must riders look a certain way and spend a certain, fixed amount of money? No more, no less?

It's the same with everything. Some people enjoy buying a nice watch for the looks, some for the technical aspects - Others couldn't care less about watches. At the end of the day, a Patek and a Seiko still just tell the time. Same goes for suits - a 100$ suit and a 5000$ suit still does the same job. Who are we to judge who's choice is right or wrong?

Talking about modesty, give me a break - How modest is it to judge others for what they wear, how they behave on social media or how new they are to the sport? "Synonym: unpretentiousness"
I guess you're right, it's losing it alright.

I'm just glad the sport is growing, because that is beneficial for all of us. And I couldn't care less if the cyclist next to me in a group is riding a entry level bike or a C60, or whether or not they are wearing rapha, a boutique brand or a god damn t-shirt.
Cycling has given me a lot of joy, and I'm glad others find the sport joyful aswell - Regardless of were that joy come from, be it fashion, fitness or just being out on the road.

You are right...it is the same with everything. I guess there's no right or wrong, some people (probably includes me) just dislike those who are narcissistic and conceited...I agree who cares what watch you wear, car you drive, or bike you ride...it's just the shameless self promotion on social media that lacks class and taste imo...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NilesCrane

by NilesCrane

Well, one can argue that all social media is a bit narcissistic. While I myself don't see the need to post pictures of the latest kit or a shot of my wrist (I just post pics of my dog :D), perhaps much of it is in the eyes of the beholder. While you and I might see it as self promotion etc, they might see it in a different light. I mean, in a way, they are just sharing their passion - Is that so bad? :)

And passion/interest isn't exclusive to one thing. If they enjoy both cycling and fashion, why not combine them?

It shouldn't take away your enjoyment of cycling!