Bicycle Saddle Bag Seat Case for Fizik saddle, 27g

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Please allow me to share the beginning of this personal project. I've recently created this Seat Case (Saddle Bag) and I'm just releasing to the public for the first time with the intent to get feedback and have a feel on the product. To clarify, I am an individual, not a company. Having I passion for cycling and enthusiastic designer, I believe I have a great solution for a 'saddle bag', I mean, I am calling it 'SeatCase' and I have solid plans to run with it and try to put this in the market someday....but I need help from the community.

Rendering:
Rendering:

You can see more information here:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/EEWND ... d=56589470

Best Regards.
Last edited by andreszucs on Sun May 10, 2015 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Sometimes a "better" mousetrap just isn't necessary, but good luck.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

that's some really cool idea, but I'd be affraid of loosing stuff or even the whole thing detaching while riding on some really bumpy roads.

what I like about it is that it looks as if puting an additional seatbag beneath your case is still possible, which means I could carry all the 'service stuff' and a bag with rain jacket altogether under my seat. for someone who hates carrying things in backpockets that might be a way to go.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

tymon_tm wrote:that's some really cool idea, but I'd be affraid of loosing stuff or even the whole thing detaching while riding on some really bumpy roads.

what I like about it is that it looks as if puting an additional seatbag beneath your case is still possible, which means I could carry all the 'service stuff' and a bag with rain jacket altogether under my seat. for someone who hates carrying things in backpockets that might be a way to go.

Thanks

Its really secure and impossible to detach while riding as long as the clips are fully clamped to the rails. Regarding loosing things inside, as long as you keep the tube inside with for example another component like tire levers, or patch/glue, everything will get compressed underneath the saddle tight and secure, after all this would be the standard scenario. Lets say you have a flat and need to use the tube, you would need to put the rest of the stuff in your jersey or any pocket since it wouldn't have the tube volume anymore. Its a very small inside volume, so nothing more than what I said would fit. It was designed strictly for the minimum necessary to get away from one flat.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

it's just a though, but wouldn't it be more functional maybe if the outer part that holds the rear light was detachable or smth, and kept the smaller items like allen keys or tire levers in place, so even after using the spare tube all the stuff could still be carried in the case?
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

tymon_tm wrote:it's just a though, but wouldn't it be more functional maybe if the outer part that holds the rear light was detachable or smth, and kept the smaller items like allen keys or tire levers in place, so even after using the spare tube all the stuff could still be carried in the case?

Allen Keys are separate on their slot, CO2 is also separate and is press fit from inside, so always well fixed. And yes...the light is detachable!

glepore

by glepore

It's very nice. It should be set up for two co2 carts. I would eliminate or option out the light clip, I have a tailight already and the Cateye doesn't get stellar reviews. Saw this in the other thread and almost bought one, but the price stopped me. Over 60 bucks? Should be around 29...
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

glepore wrote:It's very nice. It should be set up for two co2 carts. I would eliminate or option out the light clip, I have a tailight already and the Cateye doesn't get stellar reviews. Saw this in the other thread and almost bought one, but the price stopped me. Over 60 bucks? Should be around 29...

Notes taken! I appreciate your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uraqt

by uraqt

You could do more than one model.

1. With CO2
2. With 2 CO2
3. No CO2
4. With no light
5. With Cateye light
6. With Lezyne light
7. With Exposure light
8. With no Allen
9. With space for Lezyne multi tools
10. With Crank Bros multi tools

C

PS could you thread the CO2 holder I think a few saddle bags do that ...

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Thanks uraqt. Yes it is my goal to make more models down the road, since you've put up this list together, I am going to use it as a survey here:

1. What would be the most popular safety lights from Lezyne and Exposure to consider on this project?
2. What multi tool from Crank Bros you're referring to?

uraqt

by uraqt

I use

http://www.crankbrothers.com/product/view/146

and a Exposure Flare ; )

I would guess that good way to solve the rear light would be to give it a curve surface like a seat post ... or a slot for clip on lights

C

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

uraqt wrote:I use

http://www.crankbrothers.com/product/view/146

and a Exposure Flare ; )

I would guess that good way to solve the rear light would be to give it a curve surface like a seat post ... or a slot for clip on lights

C

Yep, the curvy surface is on the list of designs that I am working on, it will be more suitable with any light rubber band style.

My personal opinion on these multi tools like this m17 or any other, is that I usually use only 10% of it. It really stays in between 4mm/5mm Allen and chain tool. In my case, my bike is almost 100% Torx bolts, so I have no use for these multi tools. I wish Crank brothers would come up with a customizable packed where I could order online a multi Tool like this same m17 but with the exact wrenches I need.

Any company doing that??

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Cateye Nima holder look good. Reason why I thought about this holder was also because the safety light has a very weak spot on the back where it gets attached to the base, any abrupt hit can easily brake. This holder protects from that. It will be available for sale soon.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

My humble opinion - its a product at least with a clear value proposition, and it may even be better than other solutions out there.
However, a few points
1) Its going to be difficult to sell a piece of injection moulded plastic for 50 Euros plus.
2) The proposition is based upon press fits for the various tools, spares and lights it carries, but there are a very wide range of tools & lights on the market, so you may well be limiting your potential market considerably.
If you combine 1 and 2, id propose you need to offer a complete kit : ie with inflator, basic tools and possibly lights, or at least with 2 different light fitting options, not just the chassis. Id probably offer two models - one "Lightweight" with inflator, 2 tyre leves and a 3/4mm allen key, (or could you design the tyre levers so one had a 3mm and the otehr 4mm allen key in them??) then a "complete" version with, for example, 2x cyllinders, a basic chain tool and light, for those that dont like to carry a mobile phone. Perhaps a "USA" specific version with a side mounting for a desert eagle /1911 Browning 9mm pistol?

Given this would need more investment, if nothing else in stock, Id think this would be an ideal project for a kick-starter or other crowd funded site.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

plag

by plag

Leviathan wrote:My humble opinion - its a product at least with a clear value proposition, and it may even be better than other solutions out there.
However, a few points
1) Its going to be difficult to sell a piece of injection moulded plastic for 50 Euros plus.
2) The proposition is based upon press fits for the various tools, spares and lights it carries, but there are a very wide range of tools & lights on the market, so you may well be limiting your potential market considerably.
If you combine 1 and 2, id propose you need to offer a complete kit : ie with inflator, basic tools and possibly lights, or at least with 2 different light fitting options, not just the chassis. Id probably offer two models - one "Lightweight" with inflator, 2 tyre leves and a 3/4mm allen key, (or could you design the tyre levers so one had a 3mm and the otehr 4mm allen key in them??) then a "complete" version with, for example, 2x cyllinders, a basic chain tool and light, for those that dont like to carry a mobile phone. Perhaps a "USA" specific version with a side mounting for a desert eagle /1911 Browning 9mm pistol?

Given this would need more investment, if nothing else in stock, Id think this would be an ideal project for a kick-starter or other crowd funded site.

All excellent points on 1 and 2.

Might be better off selling a complete set.