ELJAGU Carbon Fibre Smart Case - Handmade in Slovenia

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Maximilian

by Maximilian

Hey everyone,

I haven't been very active on the forum recently, I've been studying for my engineering degree (research into ultrasonically assisted drilling of carbon fibre and titanium stacks) and working on a side project with some friends and of course riding.

The project isn't directly related to cycling but does use lots of carbon, anodised aluminium, leather and GPS, so has some similar elements! We decided to create as light a suitcase as possible, whilst integrating a weighing system, GPS tracking and bluetooth. The point of the scale is for the scale to weigh its contents, taking itself into account. The case is GPS trackable by iPhone/Andriod app.

I thought you might be interested in seeing some of the manufacturing process.

We started the design phase almost a year ago and after many iterations this was the final design for the prototypes. We had experimented with a patterned outer surface of the case and went as far as making moulds and laying up the carbon but the shape had mould fill issues and a poor finish of the shell so we went with this more reliable design.

We then had moulds CNC machined out of billets of aluminium, which we then polished by hand. We then planned the lay-up schedule, ply sizes using paper, as well as calculating the area of carbon needed.

The carbon was then laid into the moulds and vacuum bagged. The bagged moulds were then put into an autoclave. Unfortunately I don't have pictures if the moulds bagged up.

Excess resin was trimmed off, the shells cleaned up and we started drilling and mounting the hardware.

The PCB for the scales is designed and made by us, as are the "forks" for the wheels.

The two prototypes we've made are now finished. We're just fine turing some finer points such as the leather lining, pockets etc. Here are some close-up shots and one of a full case. We've aimed to manufacture to the highest standards we're capable of. The scale technology could be easily applied to bike travel cases, as could the manufacturing method of the shell.

All of our production has taken place in Slovenia and the design at the University of Warwick in the UK.

It has taken us a lot of effort to get to where we are but we are really proud of what we have achieved. Our major goal is to launch on Kickstarter to gain funding for production. We're aiming to go live at the beginning of June.

If you like our case I'd really appreciate it if you could like our Facebook page (sorry for the shameless plug!)
https://www.facebook.com/eljagu.us/timeline
http://eljagu.com/
https://instagram.com/eljagu_/

I hope you like what we have created! If you have any questions I'd be more than happy to answer them :) .

Max and the team at ELJAGU.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elSid

by elSid

Cool! You like carbon patterns? What else do you like? Get that post count up!

davidalone

by davidalone

Just curious how heavy is that thiing

gravity

by gravity

Excellent stuff!

Maximilian

by Maximilian

Hi Davidalone, the first prototypes currently weigh 2.5kg all in. We're working to reduce the weight further in development. This weight is in line with the high-end hard sided Samsonite models, though they lack the smart features. For reference a current soft sided smart suitcase weighs 3.8kg.
Last edited by Maximilian on Wed May 06, 2015 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

numbers505

by numbers505

Cool stuff! Looks very stylish.

mattyNorm

by mattyNorm

Make a bike travel box next!

Dowks

by Dowks

Looks great +1 on bike case

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

Price?

Maximilian

by Maximilian

Thank you for the kind words!

Once we have the technique perfected for the suitcase a bike box wouldn't be out of the question. The process would be the same, just larger with a more complex design.

On price, we haven't decided on a price yet. There are several aspects of the design still to be refined slightly that will be key price determinants. We will also be offering some custom options that will change pricing. For example, we are looking into the possibility of working with more exotic materials such as carbon fibre-titanium ("carbontanium") composites for custom orders. Definitive pricing will be confirmed at the beginning of next month.

Benno

by Benno

These look great however for anyone that has ever flown anywhere you learn to not become too emotionally attached to your suitcase as it ends up getting tossed, scratched to hell, and systematically destroyed in a relatively short period of time.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Maximilian wrote:The point of the scale is for the scale to weigh its contents, taking itself into account.
Maximilian wrote:the first prototypes currently weigh 2.5kg all in.
Pic of the suitcase weighing itself, or it didn't happen.

ihs0yz

by ihs0yz

Possible option of not having the fancy electronics? I'm on the market for a new luggage, so if budget allows.... :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com