Ultegra Di2 in wrong gear

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Mugser

by Mugser

Hi all, Apologies if this has been covered here before;
I'm in the middle of setting up 11 speed Di2 here and on the e-tube it shows 1 gear out, i.e shows 5 when it's actually on 4, so as a result the chain won't go onto the smallest cog on the cassette. I've wound out the lower limit screw well out of the way.
Any ideas?

Raineman

by Raineman

If you back out the high limit do you get an extra shift at the top? (do it slowly incase you throw the chain into the spokes), if so you have adjusted the RD onto the wrong cog.

You can solve this by going into adjustment mode and keep downshifting until you have it running smoothly on the cog below what you already have.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

Mugser wrote:Hi all, Apologies if this has been covered here before;
I'm in the middle of setting up 11 speed Di2 here and on the e-tube it shows 1 gear out, i.e shows 5 when it's actually on 4, so as a result the chain won't go onto the smallest cog on the cassette. I've wound out the lower limit screw well out of the way.
Any ideas?

Use the junction box to go into adjustment mode, use the shifters to centre the pulley on the correct cog. Go back into normal mode, shift through the cassette, re adjust as needed. You do not use the limit screws to index a di2 mech any more than you use them to index a mechanical mech - they are still just limits.

I'd be amazed if this wasn't in the manual...

goodboyr

by goodboyr

It is in the manual.......of course.

Mugser

by Mugser

Went into adjustment mode alright and adjusted right out to the +16 point (red LED flashing). At this point the gear does just about shift into the proper gear but is still rattling off the inner gear.

aaric

by aaric

4 options:
your rear derailleur hanger is bent. Align it with an alignment tool.

Your cassette is sitting too far outboard. Check to make sure you don't have an extra spacer on your freehub.

Your rear derailleur is mounted too far inboard. Add a washer under the mounting bolt to pull it outward.

Your rear derailleur isn't moving as far out as it should - check to make sure something isn't stuck in it keeping it from coming all the way out. It's also possible your derailleur isn't working properly.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Agree with above possibilities with the most likely being a misaligned rd hanger. Make sure you use the proper alignment tool to check, don't just eyeball it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com