wheel moving in drop out

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Gabe

by Gabe

i'm using a chinese carbon frame with carbon dropouts. and QR skewer. the right side hub end cap sits in a metal derailleur hanger. they kinda made the drop outs too wide in the frame. theres too much space for the end caps to move around in. the wheel doesn't sit centered. I just got a shimano xt skewer, and that seems to help. but the wheel moved the other day just a tiny amount and made my brake rub after when I clipped a root and almost wrecked. I want to get more grip. I think I need it on the hub's end caps.

I'm thinking maybe theres a washer I can get thats knarled like this one that would fit perfectly around the end caps. or take a dremel cut wheel and make cuts in the hanger like 1mm deep at most where the end cap makes contact or do the same to the hub end caps. to create more friction.

any ideas? thanks.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I would contact the frame manufacturer and have them replace it. If you bought it second hand, or are out of warranty, I wouldn't risk my life on the frame. Swap it out for another one. I know it isn't the cheapest option, but I think your life is worth more than a $600 carbon frame!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gabe

by Gabe

FIJIGabe wrote:I would contact the frame manufacturer and have them replace it. If you bought it second hand, or are out of warranty, I wouldn't risk my life on the frame. Swap it out for another one. I know it isn't the cheapest option, but I think your life is worth more than a $600 carbon frame!

I should have returned it. its been 3 years now and can't. I don't feel unsafe, the wheel just moves a little. when I said I almost wrecked, it was cause my pedal hit a root. when I recovered, I noticed my brake was rubbing a little.

stuka666

by stuka666

Have you tried the wheel in another frame?

It could be bearings.

eric01

by eric01

What? You've been riding it for 3 years and just now noticing this is a problem?
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

Gabe

by Gabe

eric01 wrote:What? You've been riding it for 3 years and just now noticing this is a problem?

hehe. no Ive always had issues with my rear brake. thinking I had a bad caliper, I still think my caliper isn't quite right cause the pads don't make contact with the rotor at the same time. but lately my brake started rubbing after going through a sharp or bumpy corner so I'm trying to get this finally sorted out.

mattr

by mattr

have you actually measured both sides (and both ends of the axle)?
Might be worth getting a hub that has a slightly larger axle, hope for instance. They have in the past been known to really push what 10mm is, they can be a really tight fit on some frames!

Failing that, what does the end of your hub currently look like? If its completely smooth, put some texture on it, just some light grooves, don't need to go to mad and use a serrated washer like you've got up there!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

droid1973

by droid1973

I would just use a new/different frame