TAIPEI cycling show 2015

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kavitator

by kavitator

Where can be found pictures ?

:roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

micky

by micky

Some pictures are starting to appear on FB but nothing really interesting so far.
This bike show is losing a bit of the appeal it had years ago.

ichobi

by ichobi

I'm here covering the event for my site. Must say there is nothing interesting. I get to interview some nice and knowledgeable Taiwanese engineers producing wheels and frames, but that's about it. All the big brands and new products launched are always at Eurobike. This event is 10 times smaller than Eurobike. Literally. It's where distributor come to find new products to import and sell.

Junior Varsity
in the industry

by Junior Varsity

The show wrapped up today. As far as nothing new, that just isn't true.... It's just not in public view.
Doing bike things.

djm

by djm

New tubular tape from Effetto Mariposa. If it is right that it's easily removed from the rim it might be quite nice.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... lue-43879/

micky

by micky

"Carogna", that's a very weird name choice.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

http://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/products/carogna-family/carogna/ wrote:Why “Carogna”?

In several areas in Italy, “Carogna” (meaning: corpse in putrefaction) was the old name for tubular mastic, as mastic smells bad and is gooey. Carogna: a historical, funny name for a modern product that serves the same purpose of smelly old mastic. in a clean, fast and odorless way!!

pitbull

by pitbull

I think there are some New bikes from bergamont. Does anyone habv more Informations about that ?

djconnel

by djconnel

The key on rim tape is always rolling resistance: it's all great if the tape is easier to apply and remove but if like existing rim tapes it's slower, what's the point?

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

@djconnel,

I know from years of reading your posts that you do a lot of anylitical study but is there really a significant difference in the rolling resistance between glue and tape. I have been a tape user for some time. I have no issues with it's holding ability, but really what is the energy lost? Is it 1%, .1%, .01%?

Back on topic, I have seen very few pictures from the Taipei show, but the few I have seen don't really show anything other than the already major players in the cycling component industry.

djconnel

by djconnel

One data point here:
http://biketechreview.com/forum/1-gener ... treme-tape

"The Tufo taped tire had a Crr = 0.00260 compared to Crr = 0.00239 with Mastik 1 Glue (3 coats rim - 2 coats tire)"

If the bike + equipment is around 1/8 the total weight (body = 7/8 total weight), then total weight = 8/7 body weight, so this difference, 0.00021, corresponds to 0.026 W/kg of body mass @ 40 kph. This is 0.58% of total power @ 4.5 W/kg or around 7 seconds per hour.

On a 10% climb with bike + rider = 70 kg it's equivalent to approximately 147 grams of extra mass.

On the time trial, the results of the RTTC 25 mile championship from 3 Aug 2014 can be found here:
http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/Events/Results

7 seconds would be worth at least 1 place for 13 of the top 25 riders if I counted correctly.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

djconnel wrote:One data point here:
http://biketechreview.com/forum/1-gener ... treme-tape

"The Tufo taped tire had a Crr = 0.00260 compared to Crr = 0.00239 with Mastik 1 Glue (3 coats rim - 2 coats tire)"

If the bike + equipment is around 1/8 the total weight (body = 7/8 total weight), then total weight = 8/7 body weight, so this difference, 0.00021, corresponds to 0.026 W/kg of body mass @ 40 kph. This is 0.58% of total power @ 4.5 W/kg or around 7 seconds per hour.

On a 10% climb with bike + rider = 70 kg it's equivalent to approximately 147 grams of extra mass.

On the time trial, the results of the RTTC 25 mile championship from 3 Aug 2014 can be found here:
http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/Events/Results

7 seconds would be worth at least 1 place for 13 of the top 25 riders if I counted correctly.

So in other words, if your not racing elite level or higher, than it is irrelevant. 147 grams? People sweat more than that in an hour. Less difference than type of shoe or if your jersey fits properly. Wiggen's beard steals more watts.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

djconnel

by djconnel

Mr.Gib wrote:So in other words, if your not racing elite level or higher, than it is irrelevant. 147 grams? People sweat more than that in an hour. Less difference than type of shoe or if your jersey fits properly. Wiggen's beard steals more watts.

Horrors.... it always amazes me when people post to a "Weight Weenies" forum that weight is irrelevant.

In any case, I don't care what level it is, elite or not, any time I can take off in a race for free I'll take it, even a few seconds (telling a non-elite his races don't matter is, well, elitist). Glue really isn't a big deal if you're just doing your own wheels. For training I agree with you -- the time's essentially irrelevant, but then I'd be using clinchers in training anyway.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Lol.......and chances are the clinchers have lower rolling resistance........

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com