Helmet stench

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

My 3 year old Rudy Project Windmax is wreaking of bile and I've always been anal enough to wash it after every ride. Other than having to repalce the inner pads, is there any alternative to getting rid of the putrid stench? Maybe a quick soak in diluted bleach?

Want to know what everybody does..
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Pottsy

by Pottsy

3 years old. I would replace it.

Or take it in the shower with you after a ride & clean it out with some shampoo.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

The "replace your helmet" thing has been proven to be bogus from the perspective of the foam liner wearing out. OTOH, I tend to get the lightest helmets which fit, which have tended to be Specialized until I recently got a POC, and the Specializeds tend to break in various ways.

itguy

by itguy

Yes, suggestions will be awesome. My Giro Aeon stinks...

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Afaik, the argument over helmets having a limited shelf life seems like an endless debate granted the different factors involved in what causes foam to degrade...

I guess I can try the bleach method this weekend... My helmet has seen no crashes, has not been exposed extreme elements including fungus causing humidity and has been meticulously washed after every ride.... Its a bit gut wrenching to throw out a helmet simply under the assumption that the foam is subject to degradation over time.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

itguy

by itguy

Do update after you done that :P

milkbaby

by milkbaby

Can you tell if the odor is mainly from the pads and straps? Pads are easy to wash, the straps are harder to wash clean.

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

mostly from the pads.. Soap/Shampoo are just temporary, leaving that great smell only when the helmet is wet after a quick wash... once in dries, the unwanted residue smell of sweat returns.

Again, a quick bleach followed by a thorough rinsing may help.. hoping that I don't wind up with patches of bleached hair...that would be both humorous and horrible.

MoPho

by MoPho

Put it in the dishwasher, works great!

Craigagogo

by Craigagogo

UV light kills the bacteria too.
More than 10 years a Weenie!

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Dishwasher.. now thats an idea!

Camilo

by Camilo

If it's the pads, why not just take them off, throw them in a mesh bag, and put in with your normal clothes washing?

The rest of the helmet, just wash the bejeebers out of it and rinse thoroughly. I just take a scrub brush and dish soap to the inner helmet and to the straps when they get too crusty.

Fiery

by Fiery

Ditto on machine washing in a mesh bag. Add some white vinegar into the fabric softener compartment, or soak in it before washing: it degreases, deodorizes and kills mold and some bacteria. Don't worry about the smell, it will be odourless once rinsed and dried.

TuplaO

by TuplaO

I've popped my helmet in the freezer for a while. It's no long lasting miracle cure, but it does take the edge off, as it were.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

About once every three months (especially during the summer), I put my helmet in the wash basin, pour some liquid detergent in, and run the water. Then, with a soft brush, I brush the straps and the inside of the helmet. The pads, I remove and throw in the "delicates bag" and wash them with my cycling clothes. I'll let my helmet soak for a bit, then pull it out, drain the basin and rinse the helmet off.

It's actually kinda disgusting to watch the dirty water drain off the chin strap.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com