Helmet stench

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

djm

by djm

Vinegar

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Camilo

by Camilo

FIJIGabe wrote:....It's actually kinda disgusting to watch the dirty water drain off the chin strap.

Indeed. And think of the gloves. I'm amazed at how common it is for people to never wash their gloves (they are not fragile). They wouldn't think of letting any other of their clothing get that filthy. And they wonder why their white handlebar tape gets dirty so fast. Think of it when you eat a sandwich after spending the day in sweat and dirt soaked gloves.

Hint: one should own a couple-three pair of gloves just like you do for everything else that gets sweaty and dirty. I probably sound like a neurotic, but I'm actually kind of a slob.

itguy

by itguy

I was thinking of spraying those febreeze or anti bacterial spray... would that help?

drmutley

by drmutley

Soak in clear chlorhexidine or isopropyl alcohol then was in shower with u...
Last edited by drmutley on Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Camilo wrote:I'm amazed at how common it is for people to never wash their gloves

Funny you mention that. I'm not much of a "fist bump" kinda guy. I like the good ol' fashioned handshake... EXCEPT when I ride. Between people's lack of hygiene in not washing their gloves or hands after the bathroom and sweaty gloves from riding, I'll just stick to the new school bump.

itguy wrote:I was thinking of spraying those febreeze or anti bacterial spray... would that help?

Antibacterial spray may work, but that will just kill the bacteria, not wash it away. I'm also reluctant to spray harsh chemicals on Styrofoam. Spray painting foam balls for a diorama in grade school to look like planets, and watching the spray dissolve them away kinda scared me away from that. Also, Febreeze just masks the odor. The bacteria is still there.

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

itguy wrote:I was thinking of spraying those febreeze or anti bacterial spray... would that help?

I'd be more worried about leaving febreeze to dry in my pads.. As much as the stuff evaporates, I wouldn't want to be caught dead with that stuff mixing in with my sweat and then dripping into my eyes..
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

uraqt

by uraqt

I think there was a Velo News article or a Q&A about this and one of the manufactures said take in the shower with you...

I have three sets of pads and change them every two or three rides.(sort of like Dave S chain routine) Do the shower thing every few months in the summer.

C

milkbaby

by milkbaby

After a sweaty ride, I'll always take the pads out and wash them with water just by hand then air dry.

Every once in a while I'll wash the pads in the machine washer in a mesh bag, as others have mentioned. I like to use Atsko Sport Wash detergent. It's marketed to wash out completely and not leave residue. Supposedly the residual detergent components encourage stink and/or growth of the microbes that cause the stink. I use it for all my athletic kit.

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

I have been using this for about a year now, works pretty well. I just spray it on, wait about 2 minutes and wipe it off

http://muc-off.com/rider-care/69-foam-f ... 99000.html

richard@lbrc.org

by richard@lbrc.org

Soak it in a bucket with fungacidal/antibacterial nappy cleaner, like Detol or Napisan. Will smell like a new helmet.

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Threw my pads into a net and washed with bleach... smells "clean" but will try to toss the helmet into a dishwasher and see how that fares.. at least my helmet will have no "spots" on it.. haha!
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

joestralia

by joestralia

Tide or a good doggy shampoo.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

pads no issue, leather Kask straps....funky as funk. I'm gonna try the shower thang

Cleaner

by Cleaner

I would not bleach anything on any cycling helmet and I am sure you will find the manufacturers warning against using oxidizers and solvents on a helmet.

From Giro:
Cleaning Your Helmet
Helmets are made of materials that can be damaged by many commonly available cleaners. Petroleum based solvents or cleaners are especially dangerous. They can damage a helmet so that its protective capabilities are significantly reduced. Many times this damage is not visible. For best results, clean the helmet using a soft cloth or sponge, warm water and mild soap (such as a mild dish soap).

This product is what I have used on synthetic athletic apparel. It is expensive but works better than anything I have tried (laundry detergents). They make claims about being able to remove odors from synthetics.

http://www.sportsuds.com/

dumptruk

by dumptruk

I wash my kits in the shower (I just hop in the shower after a ride without removing my clothes). I never thought of taking my helmet in with me. My wife is going to be so confused.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com