EU bike shops or stores, is VAT removed if shipped to the US

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

DEADRE

by DEADRE

For those of you, who have purchased items in the EU, I have a question regarding VAT when shipped in the US. I know that all items when shipped in the US. the Vat is removed, unless I'm wrong, please let me know.
Are all items VAT exempted whether regular or sale priced, if not exempted why?
I think my main question on this is the sale priced item, when I paid for the item, I was still charge the same, did I miss something?

Please let me know what you know. Tks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Some shops aren't set up to remove the VAT from your order for non-EU stuff. You might need to contact them. Or claim the VAT back. (unless you can only do this in person)

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Any of the bigger online retailers will have "currency" or "destination" buttons and will not charge VAT on exports outside the EU. Smaller outfits may delete VAT on request, but not everyone is set up to do it, and I would not want to be trying to claim it back afterwards. It's your responsibility to make sure the item is being sold free of VAT, not the retailers.

Edit. At least in the UK, VAT is non-refundable on internet sales. Refunds are a bureaucratic nightmare. Just read this https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-shopping/taxfree-shopping
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

weenie

by weenie

in my experience only the UK shops do this, and only some of them that is.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Not so. There's plenty of online retailers in Europe that will sell VAT free.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

duvivr6

by duvivr6

Also if you travel to the country as a tourist you can get the VAT back at the airport. (at least in Germany)
I have never tried it though.

wingguy

by wingguy

bikerjulio wrote:Edit. At least in the UK, VAT is non-refundable on internet sales. Refunds are a bureaucratic nightmare. Just read this https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-shopping/taxfree-shopping

Yeah, that.

I don't know if the online giants are set up differently but for us VAT refunds A) take a significant amount of accountant time to process and B) potentially leave us out of pocket for months. IIRC shops pay the VAT component to the tax man as soon as it's sold but don't get the credit till year end filing. Lots of hassle.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I know i do it but not on the website as there is no good way of removing vat. The only way is an old fashioned manual sale accounting for it is pretty simple and i do vat returns every 3 months so it does not take long for everything to right itself. Some webshops will set up free shipping above a certain ammount i am experimenting with this. This sort of works but is not ideal.

Essentially you have shop you want to buy from Otherwise hassle starts.

GT56

by GT56

when ordering from bike24.de they remove the german vat when shipping to switzerland (and then of course swiss customs charges the swiss vat)

micky

by micky

Be aware that many brands are updating their price lists due to euro/usd differences.
It might or might not, affect online bike shop prices, I guess it depends on each product.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

bm0p700f wrote:I know i do it but not on the website as there is no good way of removing VAT.

I suspect this is a problem/shortfall with your software rather than an insurmountable IT problem......